PDA

View Full Version : Chop,woody lows,bell like highs & mids

John Bertotti
Feb-07-2004, 2:02pm
Are some factors inevitably sarificed in the pursuit for the sound you want. I listen for hours to the last mando tasting cd. I know what sound I want from my mando but is it possible. Trying for the bell like highs with crisp clear mids and strong woody bass, Meanwhile keeping the projection and chop. I am wondering if in the pusuit of a tone, the desired effect from one, maybe you invariably destroy the chances of attaing another. I realize that on # one nothing is probable that this could easily be a life long chase. Thanks all John

Steven Stone
Feb-08-2004, 1:01am
I have played a number of mandolins that qualify with your description.

I've also heard some great mandolin players who get this tone from their fingers, almost regardless of what mandolin they have in their hands.

My personal feeling is that if folks (including myself) put in as much time woodshedding as they do looking for perfect sounding mandolins, they would find that perfect mandolin was right there in their hands.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Greenmando
Feb-08-2004, 3:05am
Well said Steven!

John Jesseph
Feb-08-2004, 9:52am
Amen!

Crowder
Feb-08-2004, 10:55am
After trying mandolins from about a dozen builders over the weekend, I have to say that in MY hands I didn't play one that had it all. But as Steven points out, that could be as much a factor of my technique as it is of the mandolins themselves. I came home dedicated to filling in the missing pieces of my playing puzzle.

John Bertotti
Feb-08-2004, 3:36pm
well I quess this is the kind of quetion you get from a man who is building his first to start learning to play. I've never played or even been in the same room as a mando being played. So technique can accomplish everything I want. I still wonder how close a person building an instrument can come to having all of this consistently in anyones hands? Thanks all I write this just a bit frustrated not having all the musical expeirience I wish I had. Good news my back is joined and looks good. Now the top. Thanks John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif