PDA

View Full Version : Martin Mandolin

Chris Browne
Feb-26-2009, 12:53pm
Hi everyone - I'm new here!

I'm wondering if anyone here would care to offer an opinion on a late 60s Martin mandolin. I'm looking for a mandolin (I play a bit, and have played guitar for 25 - gasp! - years) but there's not a lot of selection where I live. The music stores here seem to stock only Epiphone and Fender mandolins, but the other week this older Martin showed up at a Mom and Pop store, having been traded in. It's an A-style, bent top, nicely aged and I thought it played really well. It certainly sounded better than the other mandolins in the store, but maybe that's not such a great claim...

Anyhow, like I said I found it very comfortable to play and it sounded great to my ears, loud and open...but I'd appreciate some advice.

Are these vintage instruments "sleepers", or is there a reason why Martin isn't really known for their mandolins? I don't think it has a truss rod; is that an issue? Also, I've read that these are better for celtic-type music, but that they do not make great bluegrass instruments.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Chris

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2009, 12:56pm
They play well, have a sweet tone and work well for folk and celtic music. They don't have what it takes to play bluegrass with the big boys. I've had several of the Martin Style A's over the years. The earliest I had was a 1923, the latest was made in the 60's. They basically built the same mandolin from the teens through the 70's. In the early years they had their pickguard inlaid into the top. Seven or eight years ago I bought pickguards and a few other parts from the Martin store in the old building at Nazareth. They still had the parts for these laying around.

Here's (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Mandolin/Martin/1959A/59a.html) a 1959 from Frank Fords www.frets.com museum.

allenhopkins
Feb-26-2009, 3:02pm
Martins are well-made mandolins, with a somewhat short scale, a clear sweet tone (at least, most of the ones I've played), but not a lot of volume. They don't work really well in bluegrass, where a premium is placed on volume and percussiveness (good bluegrass mandolins are noted for their "bark," and Martins don't bark as a rule). But for Celtic music, classical, vocal accompaniment, even old-time, a Martin would work well. Because the bluegrass types don't go after them, prices are generally quite reasonable, when compared to Gibsons e.g. of the same vintage.

Depending on your musical tastes, you might find a Martin Style A (which is what 90% of the Martin mandolins available seem to be) quite suitable. Martin also made, in much lesser numbers, a Style 2-15 carved-top f-hole mandolin, into the mid-1960's. Don't know how one of those would compare with similar Gibson et. al. instruments.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2009, 3:07pm
Actually you've got the styles wrong Allen. The Style B was a similar mandolin to the Style A, different headstock made with a rosewood back and sides (as opposed to mahogany on the A's). I haven't seen one of those past the 20's but I can't swear how long they made those.

The carved models were Style 2-X models like this (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Mandolin/Martin/230/230.html) one. If I'm not mistaken they made this with an oval hole as well as the F hole models.

allenhopkins
Feb-26-2009, 3:18pm
Actually you've got the styles wrong Allen. The Style B was a similar mandolin to the Style A, different headstock made with a rosewood back and sides (as opposed to mahogany on the A's). I haven't seen one of those past the 20's but I can't swear how long they made those.

The carved models were Style 2-X models like this (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Mandolin/Martin/230/230.html) one. If I'm not mistaken they made this with an oval hole as well as the F hole models.

Thanx for setting me straight. I've edited my post to make it more accurate.

With regard to Martin carved-top, oval hole models, here's what Mike Longworth wrote (Martin Guitars: A History, p. 89):
There were only two mandolins made in the soundhole style 30 variety. One was made in 1932, the other in 1941. Details are not available, but it might be assumed that it [sic] conformed to the same general specifications of the 2-30 style [carved top, hole in headstock, maple/spruce] except for the appearance of the sound hole instead of F scrolls.

allenhopkins
Feb-26-2009, 4:01pm
Well, I seem to have to keep modifying my posts on Martin carved-top mandolins (not that anyone is particularly interested, probably).

Martin made a variety of carved-top, round-hole mandolins between 1929 and 1942: the Style 15, the Style 20, and, as noted above, two individual Style 30's. However, these styles were made in modest numbers -- 360 style 15's and 675 Style 20's. Basically, Martin records show 75 Style 20's made each year for nine years, and slightly more than half that number of Style 15's. Both instruments were dropped from Martin's production and catalog at the beginning of World War II.

Interesting that I've never seen one of the carved-top Martins for sale, although the f-hole 2-15 was in production through 1965. Almost all discussions of "Martin mandolins" are of the bent-top or bowl-back instruments.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2009, 4:18pm
They are on eBay frequently, not always weekly, but often.

Here's one (http://cgi.ebay.com/1950-Martin-2-15-Mandolin-w%2fOHSC_W0QQitemZ140292438121QQcmdZViewItem).

Chris Browne
Feb-26-2009, 4:26pm
This is great! I'm learning lots. Yes, the instrument I tried out is a bent-top, oval hole instrument, much like the photo Mike posted. Am I right in saying that it doesn't have a truss rod? I find the neck of this one very comfortable, but honestly I haven't played a lot of nice mandolins.

The store offered it to me for $700 (Canadian dollars) before taxes, with a new hardshell case, and here's where my inexperience really shows. I think "Martin" and "40 years old", and that doesn't seem like a lot of money, but the only old instruments I've priced have been guitars...

Eric F.
Feb-26-2009, 5:00pm
Charles Johnson has a Style A (mahogany back) for $1,200 right now, an AK (koa) for $1,600 and a Style B (rosewood) for $2,000. Gruhn has a Style B for $1,500. I think there's no consensus on what to charge for these things but $700 is probably at the low end. If it is in good shape, sounds good and suits you, that strikes me as a very nice price.

Elliot Luber
Feb-26-2009, 5:13pm
Chris, You'll never stump these guys. If there's a question, someone knows the answer and will get back to you. They really know their stuff, and you'll typically get a variety of opinions too.

Chris Browne
Feb-26-2009, 5:19pm
Chris, You'll never stump these guys. If there's a question, someone knows the answer and will get back to you. They really know their stuff, and you'll typically get a variety of opinions too.

I've figured that out! This page is a great resource!

Eric F.
Feb-26-2009, 5:38pm
Chris, I've never seen one with a truss rod cover, leading me to believe that none were made with a truss rod. That isn't too big a deal. Lots of Gibsons from the teens are still out there making lovely sounds without truss rods or warped necks.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2009, 7:18pm
Martin Guitars didn't have adjustable truss rods until the 60's or 70's so I'm sure they never put a truss rod in one of these mandolins. The prices quoted for martin mandolins here seem to be pretty much at the top of the heap, you can save a lot more on that well know auction site.

Eric Platt
Feb-26-2009, 8:37pm
Martin Guitars didn't have adjustable truss rods until the 60's or 70's so I'm sure they never put a truss rod in one of these mandolins. The prices quoted for martin mandolins here seem to be pretty much at the top of the heap, you can save a lot more on that well know auction site.

1985 for Martin adjustable truss rods. (Per the Longworth book.)

As for Martin mandolins, just saw a dead mint mid 70's at a local store yesterday. Owner purchased it from the store and never learned to play. A true "under the bed" special.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-26-2009, 9:11pm
1985 for Martin adjustable truss rods. (Per the Longworth book.)

I knew it was in there someplace. No way this mandolin had an adjustable truss rod.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-26-2009, 10:57pm
I sold a Style A recently for $650 US, so $700 CA is a good price. There's a Style B in the Classifieds somewhere... As long as the neck is straight and there are no structural issues the Martin you are looking at is a good deal. Caution - use light gauge strings on it.....

Mike Herlihy
Feb-26-2009, 11:28pm
I have one. Great little instrument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LqC7r4Z4c

Here's a Youtube clip on how it sounds...