PDA

View Full Version : Sim Daley A Models

Bill Bradshaw
Feb-24-2009, 8:18pm
Greetings. I'll be test driving a Daley A5 soon, and all I've read about Daley mandolins leads me to expect the best. However, most posts I've seen are for Daley F5's, so I'd love to hear from anyone who is or has played Daley A's. I think I know what I'm gonna hear.

Thanks to all.

Bbrads

pjlama
Feb-25-2009, 1:01am
Looks like you'll be telling us :)

Chris Biorkman
Feb-25-2009, 1:32am
I think the difference between A and F models is overblown. I would expect the same sound characteristics out of his A styles and you would get out of his F models.

bflat
Feb-25-2009, 12:43pm
i have a Sim Daley A. it's his number 15 instrument and i think the second A he made. i was offered his first A, waffled and missed it. I am very happy with mine and it's all the mando I need. I can answer any specific questions.

sgarrity
Feb-25-2009, 2:04pm
I've been up close and personal with a couple of his F5s and they had a strong, traditional tone to them. Like Chris said, the differences between A and F styles is blown way out of proportion.

Bill Bradshaw
Feb-25-2009, 2:17pm
Thanks for the responses. I guess that's kinda what I expected. If folks love their Fs, the A owners probably love theirs too. If I pick it up, I'll post a rave about it. Bill

pjlama
Feb-25-2009, 2:51pm
I've been up close and personal with a couple of his F5s and they had a strong, traditional tone to them. Like Chris said, the differences between A and F styles is blown way out of proportion.

So are they in the Gibson camp as far as tone?

sgarrity
Feb-25-2009, 3:10pm
Yeh I'd say they are firmly in the Gibson camp. I heard someone refer to their tone as sounding like a "Gibson on steroids." LOL

pjlama
Feb-25-2009, 3:38pm
Hmm... looks like they're 3k, not bad.

pjlama
Feb-25-2009, 3:40pm
Yeh I'd say they are firmly in the Gibson camp. I heard someone refer to their tone as sounding like a "Gibson on steroids." LOL

Yeah, everything has to be overhyped these days; on steroids, extreme, monster, you gotta love it.

sgarrity
Feb-25-2009, 4:04pm
I think that's a lot of mandolin for $3k. If I was in the market (and I am soooooo NOT) I'd have to take a good look at a Daley A5. I'd prefer mine to be steroid free however! :grin:

pjlama
Feb-25-2009, 4:06pm
In the interest of accuracy I called Sim to get the straight dope. Basically his A's sound very similar to the F's maybe a little brighter due to less mass. His graduations, tone bar placement and shape are all directly from a very good July 9 Loar. Standard is either Sitka or Englemann and Red is $100 up-charge. His wait is currently 12-14 months and now I really want one. This forum induces MAS :)

Rick Crenshaw
Feb-25-2009, 6:12pm
I own two of his F models. #21 Sitka Standard and #56 Red Spruce. I think very very highly of them, but rarely post because no one really cares.

True story, a local well known restauranteur and jam host stopped me late in the jam when there were just a few of us there. He asked what I was playing (my #56) and asked to play it. He played it quite well and after a few tunes we stopped and he told me about his Gilchrist. He bought it in mid-80's from Gruhn's if I recall. Anyway he says, this sounds as good as my Gil, looks better, and plays easier. Now, I know Sim makes a great mandolin, but this was the first I'd heard that. Also, as much as I love my Daleys, I won't say his fit and finish are BETTER than the top of the line stuff. Tone is subjective, but I haven't played a mandolin I prefer over my #56. Well, let's eliminate some 20's - 30's Gibsons. I have liked other mandolins quite a bit as much. None better. But that's me. Also, I know Gilchrists can be set up to play as easily as anything in the world. I just have Sim set mine up yearly and they play like butter.

Back to lurk mode.

Bill Bradshaw
Feb-25-2009, 7:45pm
Thanks for momentarily un-lurking. That's a great testimonial and add to the growing body of evidence I've stumbled upon a good tree to bark up. I know it's very subjective, but everyone really likes their Daley mandos. I have no doubt the one I'm checking out will be a superb instrument. Hopefully it's the one I'm meant to have, I can quit looking, and get to playing. Bill

jim simpson
Feb-25-2009, 11:11pm
I once had a soundman at a gig ask me what brand mandolins I was playing. I own a std. F Daley and at the time of the gig also owned a Gibson F-5G. I broke a string on the Daley at the end of the 1st set and switched to my Gibson for the rest of the night. The soundman said he liked the tone of each but thought the Daley sounded better. I had purchased the Daley to be a back-up to the Gibson but the Daley became my favorite. I know own a Collings A as a 2nd mandolin and I suspect I would be equally happy with a Daley A model. I hope to get a chance to pick one someday.

harrykat
Feb-26-2009, 5:39pm
hey,
no A here, but i do own F-model #57....red spruce, one piece back, small pickguard. the sound is very good and most experts who have heard it say it is very "loar-like" in tone. definitely in the gibson camp...mine has a very thin laquer finish that is not satin or shiny gloss, kind of inbetween. sim recommended it and it really has a great vintage look.... you might want to check it out. can't wait to hear about the A... wouldn't mind having one myself; maybe an engleman...they are great mandolins.

Shelagh Moore
Feb-26-2009, 7:45pm
Yep... I have a Sim Daley A standard #74

Best mandolin I've ever had in 45 years playing. I believe mine is the prototype of a "standard" version of a A5... binding only on top, blacktop lacquer top finish. Gibsonish sound but a little brighter. Will try to post up a photo shortly if anyone's interested.

Bill Bradshaw
Feb-26-2009, 9:14pm
I gotta tell ya, the consistently rave comments about Sim Daley mandolins is making it hard for me to sleep. I have to keep reminding myself to stay calm and objective about it when it arrives, but I'm really starting to think I may have stumbled upon somthing here. I actually image playing it while I sleep (aka dream). And, oh yeah, it sounds really good. Thanks to everyone for sharing there Daley stories. Bill