PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Mandolin

dlsc0tt
Jul-29-2004, 8:53pm
Can you identify the maker of this mandolin? I've had it about 25 years, picked it up at a flea market. It's not currently playable, the neck needs to be reset. It's been refinished (before I got it), a hole has been repaired, and the pickguard is missing. Not the original bridge, either. It's definitely 'old', but how old? So far, the "best guess" is a 20's - 30's Harmony, based on peghead shape.

pathfinder
Jul-30-2004, 7:24am
I've definitely seen that design before, with symmetrical 'scrolls' on either side of the neck and the highly-situated 'f' holes. #But I can't place the builder or the period.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but I didn't want your question to go unanswered. #So let's bump the thread up and wait for a 'hawkeye' member to spot it. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Strado Len
Jul-30-2004, 7:37am
Lowell Levinger has one just like it for sale in the Cafe classifieds. Maybe he knows.

dlsc0tt
Jul-30-2004, 8:22am
FANTASTIC! I'll get in touch with him and see if he knows more.

ManjoMan
Jul-30-2004, 9:52am
When Geoff Stelling started making mandolins, the
body shape for his were very close in design, although
the f-holes were placed further back. Interesting....

Jim Garber
Jul-30-2004, 3:04pm
Here is a Shutt with very similar body but the f-holes seem to be placed a littlle higher. Yours looks to be somewhat newer (and in better shape).

Jim

dlsc0tt
Jul-30-2004, 3:59pm
Based on the picture, mine is definitely NOT a Shutt; the peghead shape is quite different. Very close, though!

I had no idea that I'd get this much information about these mandolins!

Jim Garber
Jul-30-2004, 4:12pm
I think the guess on Harmony is prob close one.

Jim

terry
Jul-31-2004, 12:50pm
Jim can you post a picture of the headstock emblem, i think my dads mando matchs the shutt picture you posted, i think my mando i sa 1932 or 34 year model thanks Terry

8ch(pl)
Jul-31-2004, 6:59pm
I think it may be a Bacon. they made a few mandolins in the 1920's.

Jim Garber
Jul-31-2004, 9:25pm
It is definitely not a Bacon. I have a Bacon from 1921 and they only made round hole archtops to my knowledge, not flattops with f-holes.

Jim

Jim Garber
Jul-31-2004, 9:27pm
Jim can you post a picture of the headstock emblem, i think my dads mando matchs the shutt picture you posted, i think my mando i sa 1932 or 34 year model thanks Terry
All of the Shutts that I have seen have not had any headstock emblems. I don't own the one I pictured but I do not believe that that one has one either.

Jim