PDA

View Full Version : F9 or new flatiron, help.

freddyu
Jul-29-2004, 6:06pm
Walked into our local gibson dealer to see what he had in stock. He handed me a new F9 that sounded unbelievably good, right out of the case. Then the guy says, I have something you might like even more, he pulls out a Flatiron festival f, brand new! Apparently Gibson will still make them for a special order? Anyway, the f9 sounded better but I attribute that to satin finish and the flatiron probably needing to open up. F9-- $2700, the Flatiron-- $3100. The extra $400 not really in the budget and would be a serious stretch. Would I be kicking myself for the next 40 years if I pass up the flatiron? The f9 really was a little cannon.

Nathan Sanders
Jul-29-2004, 6:12pm
I think I would go for the F9, unless the Flatiron was an older one built in Montana, which it sounds like this one was not. If going for the F9, I might shop around some for a better price. Overall, the main factor is the sound. Sure, the Flatiron might open up, but the F9 sounds good now and will get better.

Brian Aldridge
Jul-29-2004, 9:24pm
Buy the F9. It sounds like you like it better anyway. There is no wrong choice here, and you will probably go through dozens of mandolins in your life. God Bless America.

pickinNgrinnin
Jul-29-2004, 10:21pm
Both are good choices. However, IMO, the Flatiron is a better value than the F9. The Festival F (Nashville) is essentially the same instrument as the Gibson F5-G - which costs much more. That is the main reason Gibson stopped making the Flatirons. This one in the store could be a new "old stock" Mandolin. Gibson only makes them as special orders since around spring of 2002. The special order Flatirons, I suspect, would sell for more than $3,100.

The Montana made vs Nashville made argument has been around for some time now. I believe the Nashville made Flatirons are better Mandolins than the Montana made Festivals and Performers. The Nashville made Gibsons/Flatirons have all been graduated to Loar specifications. The Montana Flatirons were not. Also, the Montana Festivals and Performers have an integrated neck which is actually carved into the top of the Mandolin. A cost savings measure. The Nashville Flatiron has an elevated fretboard. Now the Montana made F5, Artist and Master models are different stories - not an apples to apples comparison.

If the Flatiron is indeed old stock, the strings could be at least 2 years old. What is the serial number on the Flatiron? If it has dead strings, that could certainly account for the difference in tone. Tone bar braced Mandolins as these will take up to 5 years to fully open.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I like the looks of the Flatiron better. However lots of folks like the plain jane look of the F9.

Check out the serial # on the Flatiron before you decide. Ask about a string change to give it a fair run.

Have fun #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

yoods
Jul-30-2004, 5:37am
As one who has put out more $$$ for a special sounding mando than I could afford (and am still paying for it), when you find the one that has the sound (and it feels right in the hand), just buy it. Also, let’s say that later you decide to get another for what ever reason and you decide you need to sell it (and it goes for less), don't look at as lost money, look at it as "rent" for all the good and intimate times you had practicing and playing your mando. The only caveat to my suggestion to help you make an informed decision in your purchase is be aware of what an instrument might sell for later if you then decide to move it on.

Either model would be fine, in my opinion. Regardless of price, go with the one that talks to you and feels right in your hands.

250sc
Jul-30-2004, 5:55am
I'd be hard pressed to buy a mando that didn't sound as good and cost more because it 'might' open up. Don't forget the F9 will open up also.

Just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.

Jul-30-2004, 7:43am
I'm all for supporting your local dealer, but $2700 for an F9? I believe I would look for a used mando & keep a few bucks in my pocket.

This guy has been selling very nice mandos for a long time on Ebay & has perfect feedback & plenty of it.....I don't know him personally. In today's market this is actually a little high for a used F9.....You should also be able to buy a Flatiron festival used for about the same amount. IMHO

F9 on Ebay (http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3739213448&rd=1)

Frank Russell
Jul-30-2004, 8:11am
As usual, Dale is right on the money. The most I have seen a new F9 for in my area is $2600. You can pick up a used one for just under $2000, here or eBay. I've owned both of these mandolins, and you've got a tough choice to make. Both are pretty sweet. Buy the one you like playing better. Frank

freddyu
Jul-30-2004, 8:30am
Thanks y'all, your replies as usual are very, very helpful.
Freddyu

Nathan Sanders
Jul-30-2004, 9:29am
You might check out Elderly Instruments for an F-9. I just got a quote from them on one and it was a few hundred less than $2700. Of course the drawback of mail order is you do not get a chance to play it, but they do allow returns I believe within a certain amount of time. I bought my F-5G from them several years ago and they picked a good one for me.

Jul-31-2004, 9:06pm
Used Flatiron Festival F (Nashville?) on Ebay (http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3739817076&rd=1)

ronlane3
Jul-31-2004, 9:10pm
I agree with Dale. The rate is about 2400 - 2500 on a F-9, but to me they are as good as the flatirons and most G's that I have heard. (Go ahead Dale and let me have it on that, but hey, I'm partial to my baby)

kebmando
Jul-31-2004, 9:15pm
Wow...those seem like high prices for F-9s. I remember 1 or 2 years ago, a local dealer stated he'd sell me the new F-9 in his store for $2250, and that was just his starting offer (too much for me at the time). Either this dealer seriously needed to sell that F-9, or the prices have sky-rocketed.

gdae85
Jul-31-2004, 11:36pm
I've seen them both used for around $1700 ... keep lookin

mandoJeremy
Aug-01-2004, 7:33am
Okay, who bought that Flatiron Dale posted? That was a great deal I think.

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-01-2004, 2:30pm
[QUOTE]Okay, who bought that Flatiron Dale posted? That was a great deal I think.

No thinking about it! $1,500 for a Festival F? The guy gave it away. The thing that gets me is there were two misguided bidders that had a chance to "buy it now" but didn't. I-buy-Martin-guitars will turn around and sell this for $1,800 to $2,000! Some room for an easy profit.

flairbzzt
Aug-01-2004, 6:06pm
I was looking for an f-style to add to my stock without spending over $1,200. I tried alot out there, but today I played a new f-9 and was immediately blown away, as were the others in the acoustic room of the store. Now I'm going to spend $2,600 for what really feels and sounds right. That seems to be a common price, and I'm getting a hardshell case and strap of my choice thrown in. And most importantly, my wife is going along with it!

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-01-2004, 8:18pm
[QUOTE]And most importantly, my wife is going along with it!

Yes, the crucial (yet often unmentioned) issue with any Mando purchase. Forget about tone, volume, fit/finish, etc. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

duuuude
Aug-02-2004, 12:50pm
flairbzzt, you won't be disappointed! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

(nor will she!)