PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Reno and Smiley Clip

Tom Mullen
Feb-22-2009, 10:03pm
Here is a YouTube of that great group.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6TRufo0poE

mandolin content: I think Ronnie is playing a Loar.

Tim Pike
Feb-22-2009, 11:49pm
Priceless video-thanks for posting! I wish Kroger sold mandolins! :mandosmiley:

Tim Pike
Feb-22-2009, 11:53pm
You get a pretty good look at the Gibson at 4:10

Tom Mullen
Feb-23-2009, 8:47am
I think Mac musta been drinking a few cups of Starbucks before the show.:))

Andy B
Feb-23-2009, 10:18pm
Thanks for posting that. One of my favorite bands in its prime. Mac Mcgaha on fiddle, just tearing up Panhandle Country, with a break from Red on the D-45 and Ronnie channeling Bill on his break. And Don's breaks on "I Wouldn't Change You If I Could"--even more audacious than on record. It's a thrill to see them sing and play it. Makes me want to go Krogering!

Andy

Mike Bunting
Feb-24-2009, 12:59am
Great stuff, how come we don't hear that style so much anymore? Too bad.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-25-2009, 6:36am
Here Don is later on in 1983 with his boys -- this clip as about 4 or 5 songs on it.

What a wonderful man -- I sure miss him and I still really love to see the Reno boys perform.

What mandolin does Wayne have there? -- it sounds like a Loar but I was thinking in 1983 it would have been one of the Montana Gibson F-5's?

Anyway he can pick and when he gets togather with Dave Harvey you can see smoke rolling up. "Paddy on the turnpike" is great IMO.

Another thing those Reno boys sure come in all sizes!

QzJ0E4PWO24&feature=channel_page

No offense to Red as the OP was about both men and I surely enjoyed the two of them when they were togather.

mingusb1
Mar-09-2009, 10:34am
Wow, great stuff! Thanks!

My gal once gave me a hard time for going to Kroeger. She may be saying "I wouldn't change you if I could" after seeing this!

Z

AlanN
Mar-09-2009, 10:45am
It's Dale on the mandolin. Likely a period Gibson F-5. Great picker.

f5loar
Mar-15-2009, 1:09am
Ronnie still got that same Loar and a few others too.
There are 2 box sets on King/Gusto by Reno And Smiley. Better get them while you can as they go out of print fast.
The first box set long out of print I saw on ebay for a buy it now price of only $555.00. You might can luck up and find one in old stock at a flea market for $60. Great stuff to have. The first box set from 1951 to 1959 is before Ronnie and features some great Monroe style mandolin pickers like Don Reno himself and Red Rector,Bill Haney,Simley Hobbs and Benny Williams. The second box set is from 1959 to 1963 and has Ronnie on mandolin.
Killer songs seldom heard today.

blueridgemandolin
Mar-16-2009, 4:12pm
I guess I was one of the lucky ones I grew up watching them every morning on the TV, had the honor of working on Irving Sharps old 52 or 53 Ford later. Had Gene Burris teach me some guitar. they were a great group that haven't gotten the credit they deserve
Dan