PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday - Dave Apollon

Scott Tichenor
Feb-22-2009, 9:28pm
We're a few hours short of the actual date, but we wouldn't want to forget to observe the birthday of the late and very great Dave Apollon, born on February 23, 1897. I know we've posted other great Apollon videos here before so feel free to share yours.

a4YoqjhXVww

MikeEdgerton
Feb-22-2009, 9:38pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=apollon&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) are some threads about Mr. Apollon with videos and other information.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-23-2009, 12:11am
I love David Apollon and the CD release Dawg put out. I also love the short film's Warner Brothers put out too.

f5loar
Feb-23-2009, 12:18am
To think he was able to do that standing up without the aid of a strap, a toneguard, an armrest, a scooped fingerboard, with plain monosteel strings, a thin 10 cent pick and pickguard on is truly remarkable. I'll have to dust off my old Apollon F5s today and play them in honor of his birthday. Truly the one and only Master of the Mandolin that paved the way for future F5 pickers.

Michael Cameron
Feb-23-2009, 12:53am
Love the crisp tone of the aluminum saddle.

Wow! Strapless!

He did remove a fret(some frets) from the f'board extension,eh?

#23?

f5loar
Feb-23-2009, 1:10am
He removed the High G fret in the Florida section to allow him to hit a high G note usually at the end of the song.
I guess these modern "scoop" pickers don't worry about hitting that note!

mandozilla
Feb-23-2009, 3:06am
I'm gonna learn "The Russian Rag" in homage to Dave Apollon by cracky! ;)

Happy Birthday Mr. Apollon! :grin:

:mandosmiley:

MikeEdgerton
Feb-23-2009, 10:46am
...I guess these modern "scoop" pickers don't worry about hitting that note!

Ain't no money that high on the fretboard anyway. :))

Guilty as charged.

Ken Olmstead
Feb-23-2009, 11:07am
Dave ranks in my top four (in no particular order:) Apollon, Burns, Grisman and Monroe. Super musician!

violmando
Feb-23-2009, 11:23am
I knew he wasn't from the USA, but I didn't realize he was Russian--DUH! What a PHENOMINAL musician--and yeah, he did it without all the bells and whistles we have. AMAZIN!!! Yvonne

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-23-2009, 11:44am
a thin 10 cent pick [/QUOTE]

How thin?