PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can get "Russian Waltz"?

FrDNicholas
Feb-22-2009, 12:00pm
I just heard someone playing a beautiful tune called "Russian Waltz". Does anyone know where I might get the music for this tune? I don't read tab very well, so I'm hoping for the actual written music. Thanks.

mandroid
Feb-22-2009, 5:59pm
Man, kind of broad generalization there ..
something from Russia in 3/4 time,

Biggest country on the earth , 9 timezones
to pick from .. and several hundred years of music.
One region,
With a Finnish immigrant Tradition, we , in Astoria , have had a few visits from a Karelian folk music group ,
a trio. Karelia is the portion of the Russian republic just east of Finland

they played a quite few very nice pieces in Waltz tempo..

Russia is .ru on the web ..

San francisco had some small shops with russian imported recordings.. Immigrant Customers..

FrDNicholas
Feb-22-2009, 6:24pm
I'll try to embed the UTube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxEJIujDjc
I don't think I did that right. Maybe this link can be cut and pasted.

DryBones
Feb-22-2009, 6:33pm
Let me try this embedding thing....

3MxEJIujDjc

FrDNicholas
Feb-22-2009, 6:42pm
That's the one. How did you embed the video itself?

Scott Tichenor
Feb-22-2009, 9:17pm

Here are some instructions I submitted on how to properly embed a YouTube video: instructions (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46090)

Scott Tichenor
Feb-22-2009, 9:19pm

Here are some instructions I submitted on how to properly embed a YouTube video: instructions (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46090).

The video above wasn't submitted correctly. Yes, obviously, it works, but there are potential problems how that one was inserted that could crop up in the immediate future.

Mark Levesque
Feb-23-2009, 4:25pm
I thought it was going to be Andy Statman's "Russian Waltz" which I have been listening to lately.

DryBones
Feb-23-2009, 4:29pm
Scott,
I'll edit it out and set it up your way. Not bad for a 1st attempt though! :grin:

Is this better? You can delete my other post if it's causing problems. I can't seem to edit it any more.

3MxEJIujDjc

Gary S
Feb-24-2009, 9:11am
Hey Dry Bones,
I am the mandolin player on that video. I am glad you like it. I learned it from a cassette tape a friend gave me of Shlumke Beckerman, an outstanding klezmer clarinet player from the 20s-30's. I used my trusty marantz cassete player with slowdown mode(drops a full octave, not nearly as affective as the new softwares available)to learn the tune. I am quite sure that what I play is different from the original but I hope it projects the same feeling.
I have no idea what the tune is actually called so I described it as a Russian Waltz. I do not know how to read music and dont often do tab so I have little to share but the tune itself. I would beglad to send you a slowed down version of it on a cassette.
Have a great day...Gary

pefjr
Aug-06-2013, 7:11pm
I thought it was going to be Andy Statman's "Russian Waltz" which I have been listening to lately.I also would like to find the mandolin music or tab Andy's Russian Waltz.

GregStec
Aug-12-2013, 8:17am
Hey Dry Bones,
I am the mandolin player on that video. I am glad you like it. I learned it from a cassette tape a friend gave me of Shlumke Beckerman, an outstanding klezmer clarinet player from the 20s-30's. I used my trusty marantz cassete player with slowdown mode(drops a full octave, not nearly as affective as the new softwares available)to learn the tune. I am quite sure that what I play is different from the original but I hope it projects the same feeling.
I have no idea what the tune is actually called so I described it as a Russian Waltz. I do not know how to read music and dont often do tab so I have little to share but the tune itself. I would beglad to send you a slowed down version of it on a cassette.
Have a great day...Gary

What's the title of that tape and who published it? Maybe the company is still in business. If not, I'll look around for it.
Thanks in advance.
Greg