PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Sargent Mandolins

Tim W
Feb-22-2009, 1:47am
I met Cliff at IBMA once and he asked me to try one he had in his hand there where everyone used to jam in Louisville. It looked and sounded like an old Loar era instrument. I would like to ask those that have his F5's to post photos of them here so it is located in one spot for easier retrieval.

I have searched the web and there is little info on him or his mandolins so I'd like to start a Sargent only, one stop shopping place for pics and info on him and his work. Thanks, Tim

Gail Hester
Feb-22-2009, 2:05am
There are a bunch here along with some great posts:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9251

...and here of the restoration of the Sargent that we owned:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10555

MikeEdgerton
Feb-22-2009, 8:51am
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=Cliff+Sargent&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) are a few more threads that mention Cliff in the subject lines.

Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=Cliff+Sargent&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) are three pages that mention him in the body of the message. That means you'd have to go through the entire thread.

Bruce Clausen
Feb-22-2009, 1:00pm
I hope I will not be stepping on any toes by posting this mp3. I *believe* this is the Sargent Gail Hester restored (as set out in an earlier thread). It was later advertised, and this recording was posted on the seller's website. Somebody please correct me if I've got this wrong. I saved the mp3 because I thought the playing was sensational-- heck of a nice sounding mandolin too.

Gail Hester
Feb-22-2009, 3:18pm
Yes, that's the 1987 Sargent that I had and that's the fantastic mandolinist Joe Clark playing it.

Bruce Clausen
Feb-22-2009, 9:18pm
Thank you, Gail. It's nice to know who that great player is.

BC

Steevarino
Feb-23-2009, 1:40pm
Tim,

I own two F-5 mandolins. One is a Cliff Sargent F-5. Well, sort of. This one is so intertwined with so many of my Mandolin Buddies... Charlie D hand picked the wood for me. Lynn D. taught me how to stain and varnish on this mandolin. Will K. provided some (much needed) scraping and french polishing advice. I provided things like the bridge, truss rod, fretboard, and eventually, a pickguard.

I sent the wood and parts to Cliff. He built the mandolin and sent it to me in-the-white. With a little help from my (above) friends, I got it all done. It was a great learning experience for me. I think I mentioned this on a previous Cliff thread, but I was stringing up the finished mandolin one morning. After I got it all done, I was going to call Cliff and play it for him over the phone, like he played it for me when he finished builiding the mandolin originally. I hopped on my computer to look up his phone number, and found out about his passing. That was a pretty profound experience. I still get the "willies" when I think about it.

I have a couple of snap-shots (real pictures on real paper) of Cliff, me, this mandolin in process, his Loar, etc. If I can figure out how to get them onto my computer, I would be glad to share them here.

Cliff was a great guy, a great friend, and I still miss him.

carleshicks
Feb-23-2009, 1:55pm
wow it sure turned out nice,and with that flower pot it is a dead ringer for a master model.

Scotti Adams
Feb-23-2009, 4:04pm
Are you sure thats a Sargent mando Joe Clark is playing in that clip? Heres a YouTube Clip of him playing Footprints In the Snow..but hes using a Buckeye Mando. My inquiring mind needs to know.:grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA6i1sUtB74&feature=PlayList&p=D14A88B127AEF3A8&playnext=1&index=25

Gail Hester
Feb-23-2009, 4:36pm
Hey Scotti, yeah, Joe has (had) a Buckeye but on that day he was tasting a bunch of mandos for short audio clips. I was not there but he was playing an F5 of mine and the Sargent as well as a Dude and a distressed MM, there may have been others that I forgot. As he picks each one up to play he announces which one it is and that's the clip of the Sargent. The recorder was an inexpensive one and that clip is quite accurate of the Sargent. As I was across the country at the time I can not guarantee anything.:)

Scotti Adams
Feb-23-2009, 6:34pm
Hey Scotti, yeah, Joe has (had) a Buckeye but on that day he was tasting a bunch of mandos for short audio clips. I was not there but he was playing an F5 of mine and the Sargent as well as a Dude and a distressed MM, there may have been others that I forgot. As he picks each one up to play he announces which one it is and that's the clip of the Sargent. The recorder was an inexpensive one and that clip is quite accurate of the Sargent. As I was across the country at the time I can not guarantee anything.:)

Thank ya ma'am.

:grin:

Paul Statman
Mar-07-2009, 10:47pm
That's a real cracker - congratulations!

Tim W
Mar-31-2009, 8:14am
That is what I want mine to look like when I'm done. That is a beautiful mandolin; perfect!

Russ Partain
Apr-05-2009, 2:13pm
Steve Smith,
When looking at your photos, I saw that your bridge was not ebony looking. I tlooked as if it were stripped ebony or maybe even brazillian rosewood. Can you comment on this? What is the bridge made of and why? I assume you made the bridge.

Timbofood
Apr-05-2009, 3:11pm
Now, Gail , in a few years can we refer to him as "Old" Joe Clark? I have been in the house too long this winter, sorry!

Steevarino
Apr-08-2009, 10:54am
Man, nothing gets past you guys! Russ, it is indeed a non-ebony bridge on that Sargent F-5 above. I sent Cliff a straight-ahead-ebony bridge to begin with, but as time has gone by, I have tried different things. This particular bridge is actually made of cocobolo. I mostly make ebony bridges, of course, but from time to time I do experiment with different woods. Various rosewoods, maple, beech, African Blackwood, bubinga, you name it.

I think I was trying to make this mandolin sound as different as possible from my F-5 MM. It currently has this cocobolo bridge and Thomastic strings on it. The Gibson has an ebony bridge and J-74's. On the Cliffy, it's your ideal bluegrass set-up right now, but real nice in more mild acoustic settings.

Russ Partain
Apr-08-2009, 9:46pm
Steve,
My 1st encounter with you was with a Weber yellowstone. My 1st conversation with you was about a Flatiron F5A. I had Larry Cohea fit the bridge and a pickguard on it from you. Every mandolin since the Weber has had a pearl nut, ebony bridge, armrest and a abbreviated pickguard. I told you I knew Cliffy to some degree. I am into the details. It is not the apperance, but the sound and function that you provide that keep me coming back. That is why I try to pay attention! You are my supplier and every instrument I put your bridge on has increased volume and tone. Tone is hard to quantify. The Volume increase is nearly 25 to 33 percent in my estimation. When you say Cliff Sergeant and Steve Smith, you can see the Dog's ears perk up. It is time to pay attention for certain!!!