PDA

View Full Version : Latest Newell F, a different take on it for me

Keith Newell
Feb-21-2009, 10:29pm
This instrument was started over a year ago and I worked on it a little at a time. It was refreshing to not touch it for a while then come back to it and I would have a little different take on what I wanted to do. The back and sides are Red maple, top is Sitka, headstock overlay is ebony and?? I can't remember what the other stuff was. The neck is mahogany that has a unique history. It was made from the massive indoor steps (staircase)of the U.S. embassy in Moscow (original one) and is very old. When I got the chunks of it it was 6" thick planks. It is very dense and rings like a bell when knocking on the wood.
The tailpiece is a duplicate of one I made for a good friend of mine and will not be made again. The pattern on it is an artistic take on the rubbing that was taken from an ancient stone in Ireland. It originaly had 4 snakes on it but I couldn't fit them in so I did two and the snakes head shape and knots are just like from the rubbing.
I went with sealed individual tuners for a change of pace. The fretboard is radiused.
Thanks for looking,
Keith
http://www.newellmandolin.com

Jim Kirkland
Feb-21-2009, 10:56pm
Very nice.

Eric Hanson
Feb-21-2009, 11:54pm
Beautiful.
Did you round the corners of the bridge or did it come as such.
Also,just out of inquiry. How did you come to own wood from the embassy? I will understand if you can't tell. I would much rather stay alive.:cool:

Tim Pike
Feb-22-2009, 12:02am
Love the headstock! She's a beaut Keith! Would love to hear it.

jasona
Feb-22-2009, 12:15am
It sounds great, from what I've heard off the Russian hacker sites. The bugs embedded in that wood are still working it seems!

Keith Newell
Feb-22-2009, 11:56am
I make my own bridges Eric so I like mine with rounded corners. I got the mahogany about 5 0r 6 years ago from a fellow cafe member but can't remember who......gettin old is hell.
Keith

drooartz
Feb-22-2009, 1:42pm
That's a fantastic mando! I love the non-modern touches. Someone's going to be very happy with that instrument.

Skip Kelley
Feb-23-2009, 8:02am
Keith, Very nice! I like your comment about getting old!
Getting old will kill ya'! :grin:

ShaneJ
Feb-23-2009, 8:51pm
Drool!!!!

JEStanek
Feb-23-2009, 10:37pm
That looks very cool Keith! Great story behind it too,

Jamie

Jason Renzi
Feb-23-2009, 11:06pm
you are easily my favorite mandolin maker sir...
i still have a picture of a red A style you made for a cafe member as my desktop...
very nice work...

Keith Newell
Feb-24-2009, 11:51pm
Thanks guys, your feedback means a lot to me.
Keith

Tomm Truckenmueller
Feb-25-2009, 5:58am
Keith, the soundholes of this F-Type happen to be very similar to those on my new and well (NEwELL) A-type - so I have to love it anyway.
:mandosmiley:
Keep on building these great sound-machines!

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-27-2009, 9:22am
That's a truly beautiful instrument Keith - that scroll is to die for !!. I also like the rounded corners on your bridge.I've often wondered why Mandolin bridges always seem to have sharp corners which dig into your wrist,
Saska;)

Keith Erickson
Feb-27-2009, 10:11am
Keith,

Beautiful mandolin all around!!!

I guess I would like to know...

...how did you aquire the mahogany from the massive indoor steps (staircase)of the U.S. embassy in Moscow?

That in itself is something to talk about :disbelief:

Michael Cameron
Feb-27-2009, 1:59pm
That's a truly beautiful instrument Keith - that scroll is to die for !!. I also like the rounded corners on your bridge.I've often wondered why Mandolin bridges always seem to have sharp corners which dig into your wrist,
Saska;)

I don't play a mandolin very long before I break out the needle files and round off the sharp edges of the bridge saddle(really only on the bass side). Ditto for the edges of the nut,and any pointy fret ends.

Nice work,Keith!

Keith Newell
Feb-27-2009, 10:57pm
Hehe its funny that the wood gets more responses. My story is pretty bland. I did some trading with a cafe member for the wood (tailpieces=wood) and that was what I was told about the history of the mahogony. When I got it I was amazed at the massive thickness of it and the quality. I have purchased a lot of mahogony over the years but this stuff was really old growth. The grain was close the density of it was twice what any other mahogony I have seen and the ring you got from it with your knuckles was so sweet. I got it about 5 years ago.
Keith