PDA

View Full Version : Crestwood Electric

Dray
Feb-20-2009, 7:58pm
Hello,

Does anyone out there have any info on the Crestwood electric mandolins made during the 1960's. I just bought
one that was made in Japan, and it seems to play pretty
well; even though I haven't fully tested it out.

Thanks!

:)

Paul Hostetter
Feb-24-2009, 9:54pm
Crestwoods were early budget instruments that were marketed out of Detroit, of all places. I used to have a Crestwood "D-18" which in 1966 cost me $24 using my employee discount at the guitar studio where I was teaching at the time. I'm not entirely convinced they were actually made in Japan, and suspect that they may well have been made in Korea and marketed through Japan. In any case, they were a great deal for the $$, and were in the vanguard of imports that killed Harmony and Kay and so on. The same line of instruments was marketed though other jobbers around the country under other brand names. Crestwood was a problematic name because there was a Kalamazoo-made Epiphone model also called the Crestwood.

Dray
Feb-24-2009, 11:37pm
Thanks Paul for the very good info on the Crestwood mandolins. I really love this little instrument, and it kind of reminds you of a small electric Kay guitar. On the metal plate on the back of the instrument it does say Japan.

DRay
:mandosmiley: