Feb-20-2009, 4:14am
... using "garage band" that came with the mac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etyWiSKa1IQ&feature=channel_page

- bill*

---
http://www.youtube.com/user/billkilpatrick

Rob Powell
Feb-20-2009, 5:03am
Great tune Bill! I like the adaptation a lot. Very inventive and the double tracking worked well. Keep it up, good stuff!

Gary S
Feb-20-2009, 6:19am
Great all around performance. What mandolin are you playing?...Gary

billkilpatrick
Feb-21-2009, 4:02am
Great all around performance. What mandolin are you playing?...Gary

thank you. the "f" is a chinese made oval hole ("hudson") and the 2nd is a brighter sounding flatback, M-6 mid-missouri, made by mike dulak.

ronalr
Feb-22-2009, 5:21pm
Wow Bill...great arrangement..double tracing sounded good.
I used to play that song in a soul band in the late 60's all the time, brought back lots of good memories... good job.....singing and playing:)

Bernie Daniel
Feb-22-2009, 8:16pm
This a close up pic of what Bill is playing -- a HUDSON CFM70 OV SHERWOOD MANDOLIN oval sound hole mandolin with a carved solid spruce top and carved solid maple back.

It has a rosewood adjustable floating bridge, the nut (according to Bill is about the same width as like an F4) the neck -- set at the 12th fret also like a Gibson F2/F4-- it has gold engraved tuning machine heads and the tail piece is also gold plated and engraved which features a removable cover for easy string access.

Very cool I think.

billkilpatrick
Feb-23-2009, 3:32am
thank you ron - what instrument did you play waaay back then? ... mandolin? ... in a soul band?!?

thank you bernie - as stated before, just from pictures, you seem to know more about this instrument than i do with it sitting in my lap. thanks for all your valuable information.

just checked the cranes of cardiff site - this model is sold out ...

- bill*

ronalr
Feb-23-2009, 1:39pm
thank you ron - what instrument did you play waaay back then? ... mandolin? ... in a soul band?!?

thank you bernie - as stated before, just from pictures, you seem to know more about this instrument than i do with it sitting in my lap. thanks for all your valuable information.

just checked the cranes of cardiff site - this model is sold out ...

- bill*

No ...only been playing mandolin for 2 years ....have been playing guitar since 1964...played full time with a 15 piece soul/Motown band (5 singers..10 piece band) from 68 to 72 .....then part time till 1990...now you can see me appearing in my basement daily:)) really enjoying playing & learning the mando now.

andyjingram
Feb-27-2009, 9:30pm
Hi Bill-

What's your opinion of the CFM 70 OV? I'm looking into getting one (under the Rally brand, but the same thing) after a mix-up with model numbers from an online seller. It will end up costing me a bit more than I intended, and the company has fluffed it once already so I'm trying to go the extra mile on pre-purchase homework!

billkilpatrick
Feb-28-2009, 5:58am
Hi Bill-

What's your opinion of the CFM 70 OV? I'm looking into getting one (under the Rally brand, but the same thing) after a mix-up with model numbers from an online seller. It will end up costing me a bit more than I intended, and the company has fluffed it once already so I'm trying to go the extra mile on pre-purchase homework!

ciao andy - this is my first and only f-4, so i've nothing to compare it with directly - but it's a very sweet sounding mandolin with a warm and woody tone. looks good, feels good ... it's become my mandolin of choice.

if you're curious, here is a video i made of it just after it arrived - cheapie strings and all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmrUh2n_C8&feature=channel_page

i bought it on-line from cranes of cardiff - no hassles what-so-ever - hard case included.

if you happen to find out who (Hu?) and where it was made in china, please let me know.

- bill*

andyjingram
Feb-28-2009, 5:10pm
Thanks for that Bill- I'm not too worried about comparing it to a Gibson F4 itself, just whether the thing is nice in and of itself.

As I have come to understand it, a range of mandolins are made by a Korean company called Dae Won, and when not building for other companies, Hudson included, they use the Rally brand, the one I am looking at. Most models are made in Korea, but there are also a small range made in China, one of which is the CFM 70 OV.

The website is here... http://www.straus.co.kr/index.htm

...and a short track to the CFM 70 OV is here... http://www.straus.co.kr/cfm70ov.htm

There is not much more that you can learn from the site than you probably already know, but it is always good to have some knowledge of the origins of an instrument. For the record, the laminated one I was sent in place of a carved one was nice as it was, just not the solid wood mando I had been promised! With yours and mine, it looks like they could be a good manufacturer. If I do fork out the extra for a CFM 70 OV, I'll let you know how mine shapes up too!

Oh, and you have a nice singing voice in those videos too...

billkilpatrick
Mar-01-2009, 10:36am
Thanks for that Bill- I'm not too worried about comparing it to a Gibson F4 itself, just whether the thing is nice in and of itself.

As I have come to understand it, a range of mandolins are made by a Korean company called Dae Won, and when not building for other companies, Hudson included, they use the Rally brand, the one I am looking at. Most models are made in Korea, but there are also a small range made in China, one of which is the CFM 70 OV.

The website is here... http://www.straus.co.kr/index.htm

...and a short track to the CFM 70 OV is here... http://www.straus.co.kr/cfm70ov.htm

There is not much more that you can learn from the site than you probably already know, but it is always good to have some knowledge of the origins of an instrument. For the record, the laminated one I was sent in place of a carved one was nice as it was, just not the solid wood mando I had been promised! With yours and mine, it looks like they could be a good manufacturer. If I do fork out the extra for a CFM 70 OV, I'll let you know how mine shapes up too!

Oh, and you have a nice singing voice in those videos too...

thanks andy - can't have too much information about these things.

in and of itself it's a beaut' - don't know how many cranes of cardiff received, just a month or so ago, but the fact that they're already sold out speaks volumes.

i hope the laminate mix-up by your supplier was simply a mistake and they've rectified it. like i say, i've not had any problems with cranes but they - like all on-line suppliers - are only as good as the man who puts the thing in a box and licks the stamps. could you tell me who you are buying from - privately, if you wish.

regards - bill*

andyjingram
Mar-01-2009, 1:56pm
PM'd!

andyjingram
Mar-06-2009, 10:52am
Hi Bill, just thought I'd let you know that I decided to go for the CFM70-OV, and it arrived today.

It came without the bridge attached, and so presumably the truss rod not set, so once I have set it up I'll let you know what I think! I'll also put up some photos as it came, unannounced, in a sunburst finish. Not what I was expecting, but really rather pretty.