PDA

View Full Version : Blog posts showing in RSS section

Scott Tichenor
Feb-19-2009, 6:03pm
The blogging area (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/blog.php) by default is somewhat hidden from the rest of the forum. By default, new blog posts don't show up anywhere within the forum's "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" searches.

To correct this, because it's all mandolin content created by members, I've set this up so new blog posts are pulled into the RSS Feeds (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68) section of the site. Just to review that section, this is an announcements only area and the content there is populated by a server program at designated intervals. So, if you're responding to something in that area, in effect, you're talking to a computer :). And you're welcome to do that. If you wish to respond to someone's blog posting, that's better served by actually posting your opinion within that individual's blog, that is, if they choose to allow that. By default, comments are allowed, but the blog owner can determine if they wish to allow comments or not within a separate blog control panel.

There is one designated account entitled 'NewsFetcher' that is not associated with a person that has permission to start/post those notices in the News Feeds area. These feeds are bits of mandolin information that come from all over the web--not just here. Like JazzMando.com, Bluegrass Blog, Cybergrass, Mandolin Archive, several areas of the Cafe like newly added builders, etc.

So, as it stands, this is in place and as new blogs postings occur, you'll be able to see those using the New Posts link in the future.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-02-2009, 3:19pm
Good move. Thanks Scott!

Hey, any chance of getting a pane in our blogs in which we can post a blogroll (a link to our favorite bloggers)?

Thanks!
Daniel

Scott Tichenor
Mar-02-2009, 9:16pm
I think I know in my mind what these are, but I'm not sure what you think they might be :). Why don't you send a link of an example to me via PM. From what I know there isn't much customization of the nature you're looking for but something I can research as time permits.