PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Monroe Electric Mandolins?

Rod Babel
Feb-18-2009, 9:07pm
Anybody own a Morgan Monroe electric mandolin. I am looking for a good acoustic electric mandolin that sounds good even when not plugged in. These seem to be in my price range, but I've been warned about the fact that lots of electric mandolins don't sound so hot unless plugged in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Eric Howard
Apr-01-2009, 9:31pm
Hey, Rod, maybe you've already picked one out. I've been struggling with the same thing for about the same amount of time. I just happened to be in Knoxville, TN, today for business and stopped at a web-based mandolin/banjo place, and they let me try out the MM100E. They have a setup shop right there. It was in tune at the 12th fret, all 4 strings. I tried it out plugged in. You will have to mess around with the amp settings, or have a pre-amp.

I thought it had a nice sound unplugged (louder than my 25 year old Brazos at least, and just as mellow) And after I fiddled around with the amp, the plugged-in sound was good also. I liked the fact that it had volume and tone knobs, plus the pickup is built into the bridge.

I think this is what I'm going to buy for an electric mando. just a hundred bucks more than an Eastman or a Kentucky, and it's got decent acoustic features as well.

Folkmusician.com
Apr-02-2009, 2:03am
Hi Rod,

Most electric mandolins are simply acoustic mandolins with a pickup system installed. It is true that many of these do not sound good acoustically, but it is not because these are electrified, rather it is that most are lower grade mandolins to begin with. The pickup system adds to the price, so an acoustic/electric mandolin will not be on par with a similarly priced acoustic model.

I would also say that most of these do not sound so hot plugged in either. In the lower price ranges the pickup systems are very low quality. As the price goes up, the pickup systems improve, and some of the factory systems are acceptable. A big factor is the fitting of the pickup. Most of these have the pickup placed inside the bridge. Don't assume that the pickup is fit well as they come from the factory. A good portion of these are not. I find myself re-fitting the pickups in practically every acoustic/electric I sell.

I do not think the midrange Acoustic/Electric mandolins should be avoided. They serve their purpose well. Just be prepared to get a lesser mandolin than you would if buying a strictly acoustic instrument at the same price. A good rule is to add $150-$250 to the price of an acoustic version. :)

mrmando
Apr-02-2009, 2:30am
Consider a Godin, Ovation, or Fender.

Tim2723
Apr-02-2009, 4:06am
Hi Rod, and welcome to the Cafe!

I've played a number of AE mandolins over the years. There are good ones and bad ones, but they are all purpose-built instruments. They are an attempt to offer practical solutions to certain practical problems, and they make sacrifices and compromises to achieve that. Even if you start with a top quality mandolin, you still have to cut big holes in it and cram the inside full of electronics. That changes the acoustic properties of any instrument. I won't say that you can't find an AE that sounds good unplugged, but that's not what an AE is all about. The best way, IMO, to get the best of both worlds is to find an acoustic you really love then add top quality out-board electronics to it.

But if, like me, you just have to have an AE in the sub-$1000 range for practical purposes, the Michael Kelly AEs are a good bargain, IMO. They are very decent middle-of-the-road mandolins with workable electronics at good price. But as Robert points out, the electronics have to be taken into account when setting up a new instrument. Just add the electronics work to the list of set up jobs that all new mandolins need anyway.

But for AE mandolins, any AE mandolins, you have to be willing to accept the compromise because, well, life is a compromise.