PDA

View Full Version : Half size strung

oldwave maker
Feb-18-2009, 12:23am
Should have labeled it #453 1/2, but went with 454 anyway..... sprayed colortone stain, then 3 coats of fresh shellac so its not really mountain dew-proof. A fun project, but about as much work as a full size. Thanks to Steve Smith for the donation of the tweed F5 case. Maybe you moderators can suggest where to send it for the mandolins for kids program?

John Bertotti
Feb-18-2009, 12:45am
So Bill what was the final scale length? Close to the same as my bowl back? Or a little smaller? I really didn't need this kind of temptation. Looks great how is the tone?

pjlama
Feb-18-2009, 1:12am
The mandolin for kids program is c/o PJ LaMariana PO Box 527 Cedar Crest, NM 87123 ;););)

JEStanek
Feb-18-2009, 8:28am
I know one of the Mandolins for Kids Program is run by Laura Leder of Cool Mandolin Company (http://www.coolmandolin.com/shop/shopFrame.html). I'm not sure if this is the one you meant, Scott can help. But, if other folks want to donate instruments or cash, Laura's site is a good one for that.

Jamie

Edit: I'll add, a huge thanks for Bill for re-envisioning the mandolin for smaller players, building and donating it. You're top class in my book, Mr. Bussman. I shoulda said that the first time.

sgarrity
Feb-18-2009, 10:27am
Not sure if I've ever referred to a mandolin as being "cute" but that one sure is! That will make a budding mandolin player very happy. Kudos to Mr Bussman!

oldwave maker
Jul-20-2009, 9:55am
Donated it to the California Bluegrass Association's
Darrell Johnston Kids Instrument Lending Library, and Sharon Elliott just sent me this pic of the young man who is borrowing it. He's 5 years old and played it continuously fathers day weekend at Grass Valley. What fun!
Maybe time to start on a 1/4 size.....

amowry
Jul-20-2009, 10:06am
Looks like one happy camper, Bill. Nice work!

sgarrity
Jul-20-2009, 10:19am
If that picture and his smile doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, I'm not sure what will! I know you didn't do it for the recognition Bill, but it really shows your generosity and kind heart!

Mark Seale
Jul-20-2009, 10:28am
Donated it to the California Bluegrass Association's
Darrell Johnston Kids Instrument Lending Library, and Sharon Elliott just sent me this pic of the young man who is borrowing it. He's 5 years old and played it continuously fathers day weekend at Grass Valley. What fun!
Maybe time to start on a 1/4 size.....

That is sooo cool. My entire musical life would have been different had there been an availability of small instruments when I was little. My first instrument was an 1/8th size Suzuki violin because they were the only readily available scaled instruments.

CES
Jul-20-2009, 10:39am
Too cool, Bill...

JEStanek
Jul-20-2009, 11:38am
Best photo I've seen all day.

Jamie

Steve-o
Jul-20-2009, 11:46am
If that picture and his smile doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, I'm not sure what will! I know you didn't do it for the recognition Bill, but it really shows your generosity and kind heart!

Amen to that!

Bob Stolkin
Jul-20-2009, 12:55pm
That is really nice. My 5 year old is itching to start playing, and the half size looks perfect. If he takes to it, perhaps there would be an Old Wave in his future.

For now, does anyone know about any entry-level 1/2 scales being made?

Mike Bromley
Jul-20-2009, 1:04pm
Great thread!

John Bertotti
Jul-20-2009, 1:42pm
I have heard of no half scales being sold. Maybe a small uke strung like a single course mando would work. A samik uke entry level is about 35 dollars. My toddler has been dragging one around for a couple years. Won't sound any where near as good as one of Bills though. And just becasue it is 1/2 size doesn't mean it is only a childs instrument.

Jill McAuley
Jul-21-2009, 12:20am
Wasn't Mike Dulak making "Mini-Mo" mandolins? Not sure if he's still doing it under the Big Muddy banner though it couldn't hurt to check.

Cheers,
Jill

mandopete
Jul-21-2009, 3:49pm
We should all look as happy with our mandolins.

Excellent!

Don Grieser
Jul-21-2009, 6:52pm
Wonderful story & photo. You're a gem, Bill.

TWINGDAE
Jul-23-2009, 10:27am
Priceless...!

billkilpatrick
Jul-23-2009, 10:34am
small really is beautiful - complimenti! - is it too late to hear what it sounds like?