PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F-9

farmer2
Jul-28-2004, 10:36pm
Is the F-9 constructed the same, other than the finish, as the other Gibson F models? Is the sound similar? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Frank Russell
Jul-28-2004, 10:42pm
Kim - I'm sure Charlie or BigJoe will jump on this, but I was told that they are made to Loar specs, just like the higher end models. Some (myself included) say that the thin finish actually helps them come out louder right from the workbench. The one I just sold was great, I will miss it. I took it to a bluegrass festival last month and got to compare it with the Bush, Master, and Benson, and it stood up well against them all. If you're thinking about one, go for it. They definitely have that "Gibson sound." Frank

Big Joe
Jul-29-2004, 8:37am
Same mandolin except the finish, pearl, and binding work. Same wood selection, same method of building, same dimensions, etc. Great mandolin for the price!

lindensensei
Jul-29-2004, 8:55am
My F-9 is the best mandolin I've ever heard. #Sweet, Sweet, Sweet on the pretty stuff and a great big dog when I want it to bark. #But there is one problem I am going to have to address. #I play with my middle, ring, and little fingers on the top of the instrument to steady my hand and give me a reference point. #In only three months I have polished the top of the F9 so much there it shines. #Don't know what it means, it looks a little funny, though. #My local Gibson repair shop guys gave me a stick-on pick protecter (clear)to put on it, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. Great Mandolin. I'm glad its being received so well.

Fred G
Jul-29-2004, 10:25am
Dan, That seems to be typical of the satin finishes. I have a Martin D1-R that I bought in '92 which has a satin finish and the spot where your arm comes over the top has an incredible shine on it. It actually looks like it has a different finish in that spot.

cutbait2
Jul-29-2004, 2:19pm
the was a bg band playing each night in gatlinburg Tn a few weeks ago (applachian grass?) the mando player played an F-9. sounded great.

bris48
Aug-15-2004, 9:46am
I have a F9 and an old 1974 F5 master model the F9 puts the older one to shame I LOVE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Sayers
Aug-15-2004, 3:06pm
I had an F-9 for two years and it was far superior sound-wise to the 1990 F-5L that preceded it. I really liked the thin satin finish, though I, too, was beginning to develop a small shiny spot on the top where I anchored my pinky. In all other regards, it was a fine mandolin. Highly recommended.

Bob