PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist Model 1

Don Grieser
Feb-16-2009, 10:41pm
No photos, but a quicktime movie. I tried to load it on youtube, but it only took half of it so I deleted it. Anyway, you'll get some idea of the sound. Done in GDGD tuning.

http://www.dongrieser.net/movies/ShoveThePig%27sFoot.mov

LVH
Feb-16-2009, 10:50pm
Beautiful, how much do those run?

John Flynn
Feb-16-2009, 11:14pm
You link does not work for me. And when I go to the root site and click on the hotspots, like "mando movies" I get "You don't have permission to access /transfer/ on this server."

Mandolusional
Feb-16-2009, 11:23pm
I downloaded it without a problem, nice work! It definitely has that clear Gilchrist sound, hope you'll make some more videos to share.

papa willie
Feb-17-2009, 12:05am
John,
I didn't think it was working for me either; it took quite a while to load.

John Flynn
Feb-17-2009, 12:12am
I figured out you have to do a "Save As" and download it for it to work.

Don, great tone, nice playing! Congratulations!

sgarrity
Feb-17-2009, 7:16am
Don, that sounds great! That mandolin has a huge voice.

Brad Weiss
Feb-17-2009, 7:59am
Oooh, I played one like it at the Symposium last year- Steve said "plain is the new black" and he's on to something. THAT is one fine mando- and I love the old timey ring of your playing!

Don Grieser
Feb-17-2009, 8:02am
Shaun, thanks for teaching me the tune. Luke, check with Gruhn's on the current price for a Model 1; they're representing Steve now. This mandolin seems to love GDGD.

fredfrank
Feb-17-2009, 8:28am
Nice job, Don. That's a great mandolin, I want one!

Jonas
Feb-17-2009, 8:47am
Nice! That's my favourite oval hole mandolin, it just sounds great!

mandopete
Feb-17-2009, 10:03am
Nice work Don, the playing and the mandolin sound great!

JEStanek
Feb-17-2009, 10:08am
Don, That sounds really nice. That GDGD tuning really gives some nice drones going in the back. That's like a comfort food song, rich, full and satisfying. Thanks for posting.

Jamie

Ken Olmstead
Feb-17-2009, 10:25am
Very, very nice! Sounds terrific!

Don Grieser
Feb-17-2009, 10:50am
Thanks all. This is my favorite mandolin to sit around and play and I've been exploring GDGD for a few weeks now. You can get lost in that tuning and never come back.

There's a few more movies here.

http://www.dongrieser.net/movies.html

Bob Stolkin
Feb-17-2009, 7:23pm
Your playing sounds great, Don, and that is one fabulous sounding instrument. Makes me want to get an oval. I know they vary greatly in tone. Short of a plunge on a Gilchrist, who else's ovals do you like and that may take a similar approach to voicing?

man dough nollij
Feb-17-2009, 7:37pm
Short of a plunge on a Gilchrist, who else's ovals do you like and that may take a similar approach to voicing?

Bill Bussmann's Old Wave (http://www.zianet.com/bussmann/)ovals get consistently rave reviews here on the Cafe. I have never had a chance to play one, but I got on his waiting list anyway. BTW, his prices are still very reasonable.

Jim Nollman
Feb-17-2009, 7:52pm
listen to some of Mark Levesque's jazz mando recordings with his BRW 3-point, oval hole. Incredible tone there. I liked it so much, I just bought the instrument from Mark! Can't wait to get it.

sgarrity
Feb-17-2009, 8:05pm
That tone is signature Gilchrist. Most ovals don't have near that kind of projection and "cut." His wood choices of hard maple and red spruce have a lot to do with it. If you want similar tone, find a Kimble oval hole. Unfortunately I don't think Will is currently building ovals. I think a Brentrup in the same woods would be close too. But keep in mind, each of these builders have their own tone. If you want a mando that sounds like that Model 1, get a Gil!

Steve Davis
Feb-17-2009, 8:07pm
Very nice instrument and playing Don. I like playing that in regular tuning and now I guess I'll have to try it this way.

Bob Stolkin
Feb-17-2009, 8:48pm
That tone is signature Gilchrist. Most ovals don't have near that kind of projection and "cut." His wood choices of hard maple and red spruce have a lot to do with it. If you want similar tone, find a Kimble oval hole. Unfortunately I don't think Will is currently building ovals. I think a Brentrup in the same woods would be close too. But keep in mind, each of these builders have their own tone. If you want a mando that sounds like that Model 1, get a Gil!

What's the ballpark for a Model 1?

man dough nollij
Feb-17-2009, 9:00pm
I think they're around $10K.

sgarrity
Feb-17-2009, 9:00pm
When I checked on one about a year ago it was in the $7k range. I'm not sure of the current price point. Like Don stated above, Gruhn's would know the answer.

red7flag
Feb-17-2009, 10:55pm
The site did not come up for me, just a small red X in the upper left corner.

man dough nollij
Feb-17-2009, 11:01pm
I couldn't see it either. I saved the .mov file, but it won't play. Nope.

cooper4205
Feb-17-2009, 11:47pm

I've also noticed that some of the old snakehead Gibson's have the punchier, cutting type of tone (my A-Jr does, that's for sure).

8strings
Feb-18-2009, 1:16am
It would be great Don if you could post a few pictures, including the case in which your new treasure arrived. Sounds and looks great. Did you only just receive the instrument, since the frets are looking really shiny and did you have a pick from a selection of instruments?

Don Grieser
Feb-18-2009, 10:51am
8strings, I contacted Steve a few years ago when I got the oval bug. He mentioned he had just built a prototype Model 1 and he was going to work a few in each batch of F's. I couldn't talk him out of his prototype and I figured it would be awhile. In the summer of 2007 he emailed that he had one available and that it was a little monster so I grabbed it. (If I could only have one, it would be the one.) It's the one on the left in my avatar. I'll see if I can take some more pix.

The files are QuickTime movies, so if you don't have quicktime installed, they won't play. Sorry, I just lost patience with youtube.

red7flag
Feb-18-2009, 3:42pm
I updated Quicktime and it ran. My first impression is the similarity in sound between my Weber Vintage A and the Gil. As both are oval A's that also look similar, this might not seem like a surprise, but it is actually the first instrument that I have heard that sounds similar to mine. Both have that wonderful sweet Celtic singing voice that I love in my Vintage A. There maybe a bit more bass in the Gil, but pretty similar there too. I like the peice you played too. Thank you for posting it.

ManlyMandolinist
Feb-18-2009, 5:38pm
gorgeous!

PhilGE
Feb-18-2009, 7:16pm
Don, great stuff. What a wonderful instrument! Thanks for sharing the clips. I have an idea of how tough it is to get good takes ("Take 77" indeed!). :)

-Phil

8strings
Feb-19-2009, 4:20am
Thanks Don, I for one would love to see a few more details of this instrument. It really does look very classy by leaving a few things things out, rather than the opposite approach. I bet that it just oozes sheer quality.

Don Grieser
Feb-19-2009, 7:28pm
Here ya go 8strings. Back has just a little figure, maybe a few birdseyes. Sides have figure. Top is wider grained red spruce and the headstock has a laser cut logo, very low key. The neck came with just light french polish is already wearing off--absolutely the nicest feeling neck. It didn't come with side dots so I have some homemade ones on there till I some put in. Simple tailpiece I hate changing strings on but looks right. Looks like I should have dusted before taking the photos, but you get the idea.

sgarrity
Feb-19-2009, 8:08pm
Simply elegant!

8strings
Feb-19-2009, 8:28pm
That's great Don, thanks for posting these nice photographs. I particularly like the sound hole finish and the honey coloured varnish.

Bob Stolkin
Feb-19-2009, 9:18pm
Oh, My. That is the mando equivalent of a Ferrari.

surfandstrum
Mar-11-2009, 10:10pm
Beautiful mandolin...Steve's Model 1 are the top notch oval out there now days IMHO...I'm pretty sure Steve is only making 10 more Model 1's and they should be complete this year, but you'd have to call Gruhn to see if there are any left to jump in on...

Chris Biorkman
Mar-11-2009, 10:18pm
I love the looks of that thing. Elegant and simple. That tailpiece looks like a PITA.

mandolooter
Mar-12-2009, 7:47am
well it works since I just played it...came up in quicktime as soon as I clicked on it. Sounds great and I like that tune! Are they some tab out for it in the gdgd tuning? I'd like to give it a go on my old Gibson A.

c3hammer
Mar-12-2009, 10:44am
Great stuff Don!!!!

Can I ask what recording device you used for the Gil? The video is fine, but the sound quality is very good.

Cheers,
Pete

Don Grieser
Mar-12-2009, 11:05am
mandolooter: Once I know the tunes in standard tuning, I pick up the GDGD mando and just find them on there. I find the note the tune starts on and have at it. Everything you play on the top 2 strings, you can play on the bottom 2 strings. You just have to navigate the middle D to G instead of D to A and know that the A & E are on the second frets of the first 2 strings. Does that make any sense? I found some chords for crosstuned tenor guitar somewhere on the web and that helped.

c3hammer: All I used was the built in mics on my MacBook Pro into iMovie. All that sound is the mandolin, not the recording chain.

woodwizard
Mar-12-2009, 11:46am
Never tryed that GDGD tuning. Sounds pretty cool. You've got yourself a pretty nice one there Don. Congrats.