PDA

View Full Version : Isaac's lefty and Ken's righty

Hans
Feb-14-2009, 5:17pm
Here's some shots of Isaac's 23V and Ken's PML...

Hans
Feb-14-2009, 5:20pm
Ken's PML with red spruce top and red maple back...
Ken went with those new Gotoh tuners. They work well.

Skip Kelley
Feb-14-2009, 5:22pm
Hans, those two are killer! Your sunburst is amazing! They couldn't be more perfect! Where did you get the tuners? I would like to get a set for my next mandolin.

Hans
Feb-14-2009, 5:22pm
Isaac's 23V is Italian spruce with tortoise binding and Waverly tuners.

Hans
Feb-14-2009, 5:23pm
Skip, I think Ken got them from Roger Siminoff.

Mandolusional
Feb-14-2009, 5:39pm
:disbelief: Eyes like saucers, head exploding, amazing work Hans! Words are sort of eluding me at this moment!

wannabethile
Feb-14-2009, 5:45pm
Ha ha, it hurts to look at that lefty. Don't get me wrong, 'cause its gorgeous, but it just looks so different being backwards! ha ha
The back looks like tiger stripes with that stain though. Totally neat-o.

Skip Kelley
Feb-14-2009, 6:37pm
Hans, Thanks! Too bad you couldn't find any nice maple for the lefty!:grin: Just kidding! That piece is awesome!

Skip Kelley
Feb-14-2009, 6:38pm
Hans, I forgot to mention I like your touch on the fretboard extension on the lefty. Very nice!

Ken Olmstead
Feb-14-2009, 8:51pm
Man, those are nice!! Han's it is ok to get a good nights sleep before you start on my Stealth!! :))

Where do you find the energy??

Really nice mandolins, there are some happy folks out there this Valentines day!!

Mark Walker
Feb-15-2009, 8:48am
Excellent and beautiful work on both Hans. Love that tiger-striped grain on that lefty! :)

uncle ken
Feb-15-2009, 3:02pm
I can't wait to play it. I've been wanting one of Han's F5's in the classic style for several years now, ever since I played one alongside several Loars at the Bakersfield event. It really blew me away how well he was able to capture that classic tone. My '29 fern will be neglected for awhile I'm afraid.

I got those worm under tuners from Allparts, I also got a set of worm over from Roger. He is the source for pearl buttons if you don't like the plastic ones from Gotoh, he also has red snail and some others.

Mandolusional
Feb-18-2009, 2:24am
Okay, now that I've had a few days to stare at the photos, I have to ask, how do they sound?

Mandolusional
Feb-24-2009, 1:22am
Okay, I'm going to answer my own question. I went to MN to take possession of my Brentrup today and had a great trip. Hans is a real stand up guy as they say. Top notch character I reckon, and I got the privilege of hanging out with him and the missus for a couple hours and had a lot of fun.

First stop was a tour of the shop, or as I say, "where the magic happens!" Very cool, to see all the wizardry! I saw some works in progress, saw one each of the Stealth and Eclipse iterations as well as one of his F5Cs. It was really cool to hear the differences in wood and construction right there in person, I'm fascinated by what goes on behind the scenes.

Sound is so hard to describe with words! When I pulled it out and played some notes, the tone made me slack jawed! It has great clarity, the trebles are crisp and sweet at the same time. The lows are rich and have a growl lurking within. The chops chords, well, they are pretty much like a punch in the face!

The Italian spruce sounds wonderful already and will only continue to mature. It has great Bluegrass characteristics like a fantastic chop and clarity to cut through the band, but a has a more versatile voice I think.

The playability and neck profile are perfect for me. I didn't realize how much I was "wrestling" with my old mandolin until I picked up my Brentrup. Same with the tone actually. Already, tonal nuances are easier to capture, and some I didn't even know I could get because they barely exist on my other mandolin.

I could rant and rave all day but these are only words! Right now I just need to play, practice, and play some more!

Ken Olmstead
Feb-24-2009, 10:39am
Now that is what I like to here!! Congradulations man, I know I am ready for that experience myself! The wait is a killer and I am green with envey!

Mandolusional
Feb-24-2009, 11:39am
Ken I did see your fancy new Stealth neck and headstock, so it's there! I was on the list for 2 years so I feel your pain, and although you know this, let me reassure are reiterate, it is WELL worth the wait.

D.E.Williams
Feb-24-2009, 12:58pm
Hans, your work is truly magnificent...

:mandosmiley:

Wish we had a hands-clapping Emoticon!

crazymandolinist
Feb-24-2009, 3:00pm
Thanks Hans, now I've got crossed eyes!

uncle ken
Feb-26-2009, 9:17pm
Mine got here yesterday so I thought I would post a couple of sound clips. Hans said that these take quite a while to break in, but it still sounds pretty good right out of the shop. I only wish I could make it all the way through a piece without stumbling but it would take hours to get a perfect take so I usually settle for getting it close. I mostly wanted to demo the tone some and give Hans a thumbs up on his work. Maybe I'll post some more after a couple of months of break in.

gibson mandoman
Feb-26-2009, 10:31pm
Ken, sounds great! Fine picking! What a good dilemma to have: Should I play the new Brentrup F-5 today or the Gibson 1929 F-5 Fern? Wish I had the same problem! That new Brentrup sounds great!

Ken Olmstead
Feb-26-2009, 11:05pm
That recorded tone is sensational! Thanks for not waiting till it was "perfect!"

nathan
Feb-28-2009, 1:19pm
Ha ha, it hurts to look at that lefty. Don't get me wrong, 'cause its gorgeous, but it just looks so different being backwards! ha ha

Must we lefties always be mocked so?
Seriously, though, it's always nice to see someone make such a sharp looking lefty model.

James P
Feb-28-2009, 9:03pm
That is one fantastic sounding mandolin, but I mainly want to say, that going back to the days of the Mandolin Project, I have saved, played, studied and thoroughly enjoyed every snippet of Uncle Ken music that I've ever heard.

You're a really great player, Ken. One of my favorites. Is there an Uncle Ken album?

JEStanek
Feb-28-2009, 9:14pm
That's some very nice picking, Ken. Very nice.

Isaac's lefty sure does have some great figure too.

I'm not normally a fan of the sunburst having seen so many done so poorly but, Hans could totally convert me. Hans makes me want an F5! Beautiful work, congratulations to Hans and the new caretakers.

Jamie

uncle ken
Feb-28-2009, 10:51pm
Thanks James, the last real album I did was in 84 with my band "The Nobodys". The album is called "No Guarantees". There are some videos on utube if you do the search. I've played on some others since then here and there. My church band has been recording some stuff, mostly old time hillbilly gospel. We might get around to releasing something some day.

Hans
Mar-01-2009, 7:43am
Hey guys, glad you are both enjoying your new instruments! Isaac, it was good to hang out for a while even if it could only be for a couple of hours.
Ken, very nice pickin' and thanks for doin' a "Frank"!

Paul Statman
Mar-02-2009, 1:42pm
Thanks for the sound clips, Ken. I agree with Hans: nice "Frank" in there, too!
Well, I'm droolin' now, and 'jones-ing' for my PML, and I can't wait to get my hans (ouch..sorry) on it.
Get well soon, Hans!

Mandolusional
Mar-02-2009, 6:50pm
Hans, you really know how to put together a killer instrument! I can't put it down, every note is so clear and sweet to my ears. The woodiness, the richness just boggle my mind, and the ease of playing makes everything so smooth. I've already found it possible to whip out things I struggled with before.

It about plays itself and challenges me to catch my skills up to it's potential each time I pick it up; as though it wants to be played at 10 and I can only make it to 3! It's a great joy to have in my hands, thanks Hans.

Naturally, I could go on and on but I'll refrain, Ken O. might explode if we talk about our Brentrups too much! ;). I'm glad I was able to stop by for a bit to pick it up in person, and thank you in person! Maybe I can get back out your way in a few months and give you an update. Until then, I'll post some videos or sound clips once my mandolin and I get a little better acquainted!

Ken Olmstead
Mar-02-2009, 10:13pm
Oh, go ahead. I'll be all right. I might have to take some muscle relaxants but I will be fine!! :))

uncle ken
Mar-20-2009, 4:29pm
After a month or so of playing and 20 to 30 hrs. of vibration treatment (see photo) this instrument has opened up quite a bit. Compare the earlier recording that was done when I first got it to the same song recorded today. I think it's a big difference considering it's only been a month.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-21-2009, 12:22am
They both sound great to me!!

Paul Statman
Mar-23-2009, 8:39pm
What exactly did you treat it to, Ken? Whatever it was, you seem to have hit the spot. It sounded a lot tighter when I played it the other week. You've got me thinking that I'll have to do mine - which has yet to be completed. It's still in the top-carving stage..

uncle ken
Mar-23-2009, 9:00pm
After reading some articles on the Siminoff website about how they break in new violins I thought I would give this a try since I had the stuff to do it. In addition to playing it I bombarded it with different frequencies that resonate the top or back for several hours at at time. I think it just loosens up the wood and speeds up the breakin process.

I should also add that this is one of the easiest playing mandolins I've ever owned or played. The neck shape along with the bare finish and SS frets go together perfectly. The new Gotoh tuners are very smooth and accurate as well.

Kip Welty
Mar-23-2009, 9:15pm
Lefty's rule.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-24-2009, 10:18am
I should also add that this is one of the easiest playing mandolins I've ever owned or played. The neck shape along with the bare finish and SS frets go together perfectly.

That is very encourageing! Nothing worse than a hard playing mandolin! It could have tone dripping from the sound holes but unless its is a good player all that tone is useless!

Don't feel bad mandopixie, I am not in the carving stage yet! OOOOOoooommmmm! :))

Mandolusional
Mar-24-2009, 8:19pm
I agree with uncle ken, mine plays so easy it's sort of ridiculous.

Mandolusional
May-21-2009, 3:14pm
Update time, mine is really coming to life! I find it difficult to describe sound since it's so subjective (and because I'm always behind the instrument), but I am inclined to say that has particularly nice lows and mids, and great clarity. The high end is very crisp, clear but sweet, with less of the "shattering glass" sound you might get with say, a sugar maple back.

I have not changed the stainless steel strings yet, so they are nice and played in. I'm really surprised how long they last. I was jamming with a friend recently and volume and clarity were effortless.

Looks wise, I've dinged it a tad already. Compared to the thick finish on my old MK, the upkeep for varnish is greater. Yet, it's still so beautiful and sounds even better than it looks. I really enjoy playing it, and it plays so smooth.

I've made a few videos while I practice but the sound is not very indicative of the instrument in my opinion (partly due to my abilities, and greatly due to the quality of the mic on my webcam). I may post them just for fun anyway, and because I need someone to help me describe it!

Mandolusional
Mar-13-2012, 12:08am
I just thought I'd drop and update to my last post. I can't believe it's been about 3 years since I picked up my Brentrup. Since then I'd say the sound has really matured, it's definitely rich and so clear. It has more of a woody tone I think, and it springs to life when I pick it up. I might say it's got a slightly "sweet" tone. It can be loud or mellow. Rereading my description of sound I realize how absurd it is to try to describe, sorry about that!

Anyway, it's a joy for me to hold, play and look at. I admit I haven't improved playing as much as I'd like but the fun I have playing and practicing each day only grows with time. As I mentioned, it's beautiful, but as much as I enjoy looking at it, I get greater enjoyment from hearing what comes out of it.

I know it sounds like gushing, but really it's just a spectacular instrument. The beauty is that I feel there's still so much more I can get out of it. As I improve, it seems the instrument is just waiting for me to get there, and then says, "but wait, there's more!"

Finally, although Hans has retired, I really recommend anyone to play or listen to one of his instruments if ever possible.

grassrootphilosopher
Mar-13-2012, 10:03am
I just thought I'd drop and update to my last post. I can't believe it's been about 3 years since I picked up my Brentrup. Since then I'd say the sound has really matured, it's definitely rich and so clear. It has more of a woody tone I think, and it springs to life when I pick it up. I might say it's got a slightly "sweet" tone. It can be loud or mellow. Rereading my description of sound I realize how absurd it is to try to describe, sorry about that!

Anyway, it's a joy for me to hold, play and look at. I admit I haven't improved playing as much as I'd like but the fun I have playing and practicing each day only grows with time. As I mentioned, it's beautiful, but as much as I enjoy looking at it, I get greater enjoyment from hearing what comes out of it.

I know it sounds like gushing, but really it's just a spectacular instrument. The beauty is that I feel there's still so much more I can get out of it. As I improve, it seems the instrument is just waiting for me to get there, and then says, "but wait, there's more!"

Finally, although Hans has retired, I really recommend anyone to play or listen to one of his instruments if ever possible.

Nice thread resurection. Itīs a thread about a respected builder, his special creation, it contains pictures and interesting sound bytes.

Mandolusional, post some pictures of your mandolin and the videos that you mentioned (or some other soundbytes).

Roger Wheeler
Mar-15-2012, 1:34pm
Very nice lefty!

Roger Wheeler
Mar-15-2012, 1:35pm
I agree!

Mandolusional
Apr-02-2012, 12:23am
Please pardon the audio quality (and playing) but I have finally attached a short clip. Norman and Nancy, by Sam Bush I believe. Still can't do the mandolin justice, but I certainly enjoy trying! :mandosmiley: