PDA

View Full Version : Reverb/effects suggestions solicited

Asha
Jul-28-2004, 4:25pm
Here's my "chain":
1) Breedlove mando, with McIntyre acoustic feather pickup, into...
2) LR Baggs Paracoustic DI pre-amp, into...
3) Ultrasound AG-30, 30 watt amplifier (no effects on board).

What I'm looking for is a little bit of a reverb or other effect to put in there somewhere, to "play" with the sound. What would you all suggest as far as effects for an acoustic setup like this? What effects are you using?

Thanks!

*-- Asha

mandofiddle
Jul-28-2004, 4:36pm
I'm using a BOSS Digital Delay Reverb pedal. That's the only pedal I have in my chain, and it works great for what were doing. Jamgrass kinda stuff...

steve in tampa
Jul-29-2004, 3:24am
Try an Aphex Acoustic Exciter.

Not a reverb, but it will nicely fatten up a piezo sound.

Also have a Boss CE-5 Chorus on the pedalboard.

A Boss tuner, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal complete the rig.

When I use this set up with my matching Ovation guitar and mandolin on an A/B switch I don't have to change any of the settings when going back and forth from the instruments.

Get a nice, natural acoustic sound that is miles ahead of just plugging straight in to the amp.

Asha
Jul-29-2004, 9:43am
Steve, is that the Aphex 1401 or 1403? Thay also make a 1402 for Bass. Thanks...

steve in tampa
Jul-29-2004, 11:48am
Its the 1401. The green one. Really makes a difference in the sound without changing the tone. Once I tried one in the music store, I had to have it. You can really engineer a tone, unlike shaping w/ an EQ or squashing w/ a compresser. The controls are very easy.

http://www.aphex.com/pedals.htm

Asha
Jul-30-2004, 3:56pm
Well, I went to visit my friendly local Guitar Center today. They recommended Boss RV-5 reverb/delay effect unit over the Aphex 1401. Anybody using that with an amplfied acoustic mandolin setup? Thanks for the feedback...

steve in tampa
Jul-31-2004, 5:39am
Sounds like mandolin advice from a guitar guy. Those guys also work on comission.

Try them for yourself. Your objective may be different, but I was trying to preserve the acoustic sound of the instrument, while adding depth and clarity.

Karl
Aug-02-2004, 7:45pm
You might also think of trying an echo pedal - I prefer these over reverbs. The particular one I'm using in my board is a Visual Sound H20, which is actually an echo and a chorus on one pedal, which are both very tasty additions to my tone.

steve in tampa
Aug-03-2004, 10:42am
For the lap steel and telecaster, I have been using an ElectroHarmonix Deluxe Memory Man. It has echo,chorus, and vibrato in one box. Got it and a few other pedals at http://www.pedalgeek.com

Christian McKee
Aug-05-2004, 10:54am
I'm using the ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail digital reverb pedal. It's got nice spring and hall settings, and something very strange called "Flerb" that's waaaaay too wierd for words. I like it quite a bit, if reverb is what you're looking for. FWIW, I would stand by the Aphex exciter thing over the Boss unit for your mandolin, I've played through the Aphex before and really liked it...

Christian

Chip Booth
Aug-12-2004, 12:23pm
Just my 2 cents, but the Aphex is generally considered in most profesional circles as a "fix it because it's broke" kind of tool. For the money you spend on an Aphex I would instead recommend experimenting with different pickup/micing/instrument solutions that don't require additional processing. And the Aphex is essentially some sort of EQ type thing (yeah I know it isn't exactly an EQ...), but obviously a very different tool than a reverb. As for verbs, although I love my original Memory Man delay, you can't call that a reverb. It colors the tone of the instrument and provides essentially slapback delay, something I pretty much never hear mandolin players using. Not that I am against experimenting with all kinds of effects, but if you want something basic to provide reverb without making your mando sound like a Tele then try something simple like an Alesis Microverb or any of the inexpensive Lexicon effects processors. Lots of companies make a simple dedicated reverb or simple multi-effects gadget in the $100-$300.00 range that can work fine for live performance. Just be sure to listen closely, in this price range these units can often have a lot of noise. Just pick through and see what works for you. BTW, I have seen respected mando and acoustic guitar players using the Boss reverb pedal, and I think it sounds just fine, and is useful for most any instrument. One particular discontinued Boss model (the RV3 maybe?) is considered "modern vintage" and "they tell me" it sounds better than the current version, and can be found on eBay or some such. Worth looking into, perhaps. Regardless, try all the gadgets you can and see what sounds best to you while making sure it's a good clean device that works well with your particular setup. Most music stores don't mind if you bring in your instrument so you can actually hear what it will sound like with your gear.

steve in tampa
Aug-14-2004, 2:39pm
My Aphex stompbox was $130. All my pro and non pro friends in our little circle of hillbillies that have seen it think it is the bomb. It fattens up the bottom and clarifies the low mids and high with 2 knobs, without altering the tone. Very simple and effective. A stompbox version of a very expensive studio tool.

GEH
Aug-16-2004, 2:31am
I also have the "McIntyre acoustic feather pickup" (Weber mandolin) with the "LR Baggs Paracoustic DI pre-amp".

What kind of "Baggs setup" do you use?
Full input gain for the McIntyre?
Setup of the controls?
Do you use the insert at the Baggs for additional effects?

Asha
Aug-17-2004, 9:43am
I'm not sure what you mean by "Baggs setup", but, yes, I've got the gain knob ALL the way up. #I think that is what they suggest for a pickup of this type. #

On the EQ settings I've found that if I dial the lower end down a bit it takes away some of the pick noise clunkiness. #And likewise, if I take the high end down as well it makes the resulting sound a bit less like fingers scratching a chalkboard! #I also tend to take the mid-range up just ever so slightly. #Frankly, it's all experimental but I'm seeking a mellow woody sound, and that seems to do it. #

I haven't tried any effects box yet, but am planning to this week. #Probably the Aphex; I'll try it in the effects loop on the Baggs PADI first and see how that works, although I can do it from the effects loop on the Ultrasound amp as well, which I'll try as well.

GEH
Aug-19-2004, 5:29pm
Thanks for your answer Asha.

I think that the effect loop of the Para DI is very suitable when you go from the Para DI direct into a PA and you use the amp only for monitoring.

What do you think about the maximal cord length from the passive feather pickup to the Para DI?

Asha
Aug-19-2004, 5:37pm
"What do you think about the maximal cord length from the passive feather pickup to the Para DI?"

Honestly, I have no idea! I think the cord I'm using now is only about 10-12'. But I keep it pretty close to me, under the chair in fact, so I can get at it easily when I'm playing. Intuitively, anything over 20-25' seems overly excessive though.

mandroid
Aug-19-2004, 6:09pm
Check out: ART FX1 [ #60/30 stereo effects several type reverb Room, plate hall etc delay chorus, etc @ $90
could use it in an aux effects loop for the whole band , or just in signal path of your kit.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

I use Yam's AG stomp for its [smaller] banks of reverb /chorus etc. options of room/hall/ plate types reverbs are in the mixer.
seems as though all those in one unit is useful.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Asha
Aug-21-2004, 10:58pm
Well, I picked up the Aphex 1401 Acoustic Xciter at my local Guitar Center last week, and had some time to fool with it this weekend. Bottom line of my experience: I'm not "xcited".

Is there a difference in the tone? Yes, but it's such an incredibly small and miniscule change that it just doesn't "make a difference". I also asked 3 people to listen and though they all heard the difference with the box on and off, they all said essentially the same thing: "no big deal, whatever".

I'm glad I have 30 days to return it because that's what I'm doing with it next week. The search continues. For my money I think I'll perhaps next look at some sort of acoustic multi-effects unit, with some basic reverb and other goodies in it. Anyone have experience with the Zoom 504 II?

krishna
Aug-23-2004, 2:06am
If you want the mando to sound like an acoustic mando,you should'nt be using 'non-subtle' toys like chorus and digital delay.The vocal exciter is subtle though. I have truly always hated the sound and look of an acoustic instrument put through effects and trying to sound like an electric. If you want to sound like an electric,go buy an electric! There are exceptions to this. .Richard Moody ,(the viola player who did the soundtrack for "Prairey Quest")used to play viola through a preamp into a Yamaha(?) digital reverb,into a Roland amp.He was able to overdrive it so that it sounded so much like a Les Paul,that if you were just listening to a CD, you coulde'nt tell it was'nt guitar.He did a version of Purple Haze with Acoustically Inclined out of Winnipeg.I agree with Chiptooth. Get $200, go out and find a dedicated reverb. It will still sound like an acoustic. ...PS I played electric and acoustic mando in a touring band here in Canada for 5 years. I saved all the effects for the electric(except for reverb). Piezo pickups run through effects ,for my ears, always sounded small and weak. I was also a soundperson and programer at a club for two years. We had 600 bands a year. Whenever I saw an acoustic guitar player loading in with a great big amp and a pedalboard two feet long, I would always smile and wonder when he (or she) would get with the program. There's a reason that it's an acoustic right? ,,, Sorry if this tyrade sounds pompus. It's just my opinion....Kerry... And of course,being a polite Canadian, if anyone objects to my post,I would be forced to apologize and send money to some cause...