PDA

View Full Version : Ditson Victory

Jim Andrew
Feb-12-2009, 11:50am
Found this in a estate sale. Was wondering if anyone here could tell me anything in regards to it's age and perhaps it's value. The label reads:
The Victory Mandolin
from the
String Instrument Studios
of the
Ditson Company
Boston
New york Philadelipha

MikeEdgerton
Feb-12-2009, 12:09pm
The Oliver Ditson Company was a distributor that did business from around 1834 to the 1940's. They didn't manufacture any instruments they farmed that out to other builders. I've seen Ditson instruments that were built by Martin, Kay and many of the other builders. I'd put that mandolin someplace around 1900. Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=ditson+victory&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=1&beforeafter=before&do=process) are some threads that discuss Ditson mandolins.

Jim Andrew
Feb-12-2009, 12:27pm
Thank you Mike, for pointing me to the links. Looks like I'm in the right place. I tinker with, and can almost play violins. I'll be hanging out, learning things here for a while.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-12-2009, 1:14pm
Welcome to the cafe.

Michael Cameron
Feb-12-2009, 3:27pm
Thank you Mike, for pointing me to the links. Looks like I'm in the right place. I tinker with, and can almost play violins. I'll be hanging out, learning things here for a while.

That is a cool-looking old mando. I don't know much about these;but,it looks like a fancy/top-o'-the-line model,yes?

The bridge is very cool. I would consider that a nice find,depending on what it cost. I have no idea of their value.

Jamie,is a bowl-head(term of endearment). He should know VOLUMES about this old Ditson.

Ditson made some VERY nice ukuleles that are considered to be undervalued/high quality/on a par with Martins.

I'd be interested to know how your tinkering goes with this mandolin.

BTW,Frank Ford(FRETS.com) has referred to himself as a "tinkerer". IMHO, he has brought tinkering to a true art form.

I want to be a tinkerer when I grow up.

Jim Andrew
Feb-13-2009, 11:02am
The only thing I'm planning to do right now is to repair a small, fresh top crack near the e side edge. The crack is hard to see in the pictures, but it is there. One of the ribs on the back seems loose in a spot also. I'll make up a few of clamps that conform to the shape, and a glue it up using a little hot hide glue.