PDA

View Full Version : Kelley A5 model

Skip Kelley
Feb-11-2009, 7:01pm
Here are a few pics of an A model recently completed. It has a red spruce top and red maple back and sides. The mandolin is finished in an hand brushed oil varnish. It plays so easy. I did an A/B comparison today with some high dollar mandolins and this one came out on top. Every note is clear and strong. The midrange is incredible. The bass is fat and woody and the treble strings will peel the paint off the walls. The volume of this mandolin is unbelievable. It is my loudest mandolin to date. Banjo's beware!:grin:

Skip Kelley
Feb-11-2009, 7:03pm
Here's a couple more...

Dfyngravity
Feb-11-2009, 7:17pm
That's tasty there Skip.

You can just go ahead and send that one my way and I'll make sure it is good to go. :mandosmiley:

ANP
Feb-11-2009, 8:25pm
Awesome work Skip! Sounds like a keeper.

jasona
Feb-11-2009, 8:47pm
I'd love to own that one Skip! Beautiful in every way.

jaco
Feb-11-2009, 9:05pm
Skip, I forgot to tell you the story about a female friend of mine who played number 12 recently at a festival here in Florida. After glowing on and on about it, she asked me to marry her! Ol' #12 could have got me in trouble with the wife!!

homermando
Feb-11-2009, 9:43pm
So it is louder than any of your "F" mandos. Did you achieve greater loudness on purpose and if you built it using the same approach in a "F" style would it be even louder? Would you say it is voiced more towards bluegrass? I believe Josh Pinkham was playing one of your mandos at the Mandofest I attended and he played all kinds of stuff. Needless to say, it sounded awesome!

Trey Young
Feb-11-2009, 10:07pm
that looks great Skip, is this one going to be for sale? Is that F-4 still hanging around? I really dig your style :cool:

Steve Cantrell
Feb-12-2009, 7:42am
Skip, this mandolin and that F4 from a couple of months ago are going to get me on your list very fast.

Skip Kelley
Feb-12-2009, 10:18am
Guys, thanks for the kind words!
Mike, that is a funny story! Please don't let a mandolin get you in trouble. Especially with women!:grin:

John, I didn't do anything any different. The top I used had been sitting for years. I got it from a fiddle maker. It is a very lively piece. It had an incredible ring even uncarved. The mandolin is a Bluegrass mandolin for sure. It has a bark that will scare away the biggest dog!

Trey, Steve, I still have that F4 style.:)

Trey Young
Feb-12-2009, 12:31pm
Please don't let a mandolin get you in trouble. Especially with women!

Trey, Steve, I still have that F4 style.

Skip the two statements above are contradictory to me, that F4 still being around has me thinking of a scientific test of the theory "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission":whistling:. If you want the first statement to be heeded, than you may haft to stop building such nice mandos!:grin:

Skip Kelley
Feb-12-2009, 5:07pm
Trey, brother you are so right! I don't know how many times I have been in trouble because of my mandolin/music!
That is my motto to "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Mark Walker
Feb-13-2009, 7:50am
Skip - that looks great! Glad to hear it's got volume and tone to go with it!

You're always so forthcoming with praise for other luthiers; I'm sure they recognize the great work you yourself do as well! Keep it up! :)

Skip Kelley
Feb-13-2009, 7:58am
Mark, Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it alot! It will hard to let this one ever go.

JEStanek
Feb-13-2009, 8:24am
Godd looking mandolin, Skip. I sure do enjoy seeing a well crafted A style.

Jamie

Skip Kelley
Feb-13-2009, 8:56am
Thanks Jamie! I kind of like them too!

Joe Mendel
Feb-13-2009, 8:45pm
Skip, That is beautiful, I love the color.

Skip Kelley
Feb-14-2009, 7:15am
Thanks, Joe! I appreciate that alot!

cooper4205
Feb-14-2009, 1:18pm
I like the Loar-style body, too. Don't see those much.

DerTiefster
Feb-16-2009, 10:45am
Sounds like a keeper.

I either can't read or you didn't post sound clip links. Either is possible. Are there any sound clips for those of us who can't hear through the viewscreen?

Austin Clark
Feb-16-2009, 11:09am
Hi Skip,
That looks really pretty, I am sure it's owner will be most happy! Keep it up.

Skip Kelley
Feb-18-2009, 7:13am
Michael, I will try to get a sound clip up soon! I have taken on a remodeling job in our downstairs as a Valentines gift to my wife. I have been a little busy.:grin:

Austin, Thanks for the compliments!

Lane Pryce
Feb-18-2009, 8:35pm
Hey Skip ----- Your new A is mouth watering. Sure would love to drop by and check it out. That kelley tone is dialed in to "perfection." Love the finish too. Will it stay local or is it getting ready to travel? Lane

barry k
Feb-18-2009, 10:05pm
Real nice work there Skip, as always. I prefer the look and sound of an "A" model over the "F".
Are you using an amber or standard yellow as your base, I like the color.

Skip Kelley
Feb-19-2009, 7:31am
Lane, Thanks! This little pup is ready for adoption! I haven't really offered it for sale yet. Give me a call and come by and try it out! It would be great to see you!

Barry, I start with a vintage amber and go from there. I kind of darkened the center where you can't even see the amber anymore. Thanks for the compliments!

ShaneJ
Feb-21-2009, 12:39am
Skip, you always get the best colors in your stain/finish. That's one smokin' hot mando.

kyken
Feb-21-2009, 12:46pm
nice looking A Skip. I find them usually every bit as good as an F.

Skip Kelley
Feb-23-2009, 7:58am
Shane, Thanks for the compliment on the colors!

Ken, Thanks! This little A model has alot under the hood!

Keith Newell
Feb-23-2009, 12:07pm
That is a really sweet looking instrument Skip. I like the colors a lot.
Keith

Skip Kelley
Feb-23-2009, 1:24pm
Keith, Thanks alot for the compliment! I like the way the colors turned out too!