PDA

View Full Version : a new Clark Octave

Austin Clark
Feb-11-2009, 3:14pm
This came out pretty nice, I think. Engelmann Spruce and Bigleaf Maple, lacquer finish. Really smooth sound and quite loud, it is x braced, 20" scale and 14.245" at the lower bout.

The design is loosely based on the body of the D'Angelico New Yorker, but I was looking for a more feminine, sexy version than the hunky masculinity that the New Yorker has.

Skip Kelley
Feb-11-2009, 3:24pm
Austin, You have outdone yourself! Absolutely beautiful!!

Bob Wiegers
Feb-11-2009, 3:25pm
This came out pretty nice, I think.

that is a severe understatement. beautiful!

JEStanek
Feb-11-2009, 3:36pm
Smokin!

Jamie

first string
Feb-11-2009, 3:57pm
I've been waiting to see this one...Gorgeous as always Austin. OMAS is really acting up now.

oldwave maker
Feb-11-2009, 4:14pm
Delicious! Sorry to miss the gomfest at wintergrass this year!

mando.player
Feb-11-2009, 4:20pm
Austin I went to your website to see how many pennies I need to save to get one of these beauties. Your site mentions an "Octave Cutaway" with a 22" scale. Is the one listed above 22" or did you shorten it up? If you shortened it, what's your assessment on the difference in scale length?

It's an amazing looking instrument.

Gutbucket
Feb-11-2009, 4:23pm
Soundbite, soundbite, soundbite. Please!

Chuck Naill
Feb-11-2009, 7:47pm
Simply beautiful, Austin. :disbelief:

chuck:)

Austin Clark
Feb-11-2009, 7:58pm
Thanks all! It was a fun project and I have more on the way. Definitely a lot of wood to move, though...

OH, and thanks Charlie, you caught a typo on my website. I have been updating my webpage over the last couple of weeks and I wrote that copy a while ago. I originally drew it as a 22" scale but I wanted to put the bridge in a different place than that allowed and still join the neck/body at the 12th fret . Plus, the smaller scale length just appealed to me. After some string experimentation, I think it works pretty well. I am not above trying the longer scale length in a future model.

Shoot Bill, I was hoping to get to meet you at WG! Hans too...

Steve-o
Feb-11-2009, 9:59pm
Very classy Austin. Soundclips please! :popcorn:

mando.player
Feb-11-2009, 10:37pm
Glad to hear it's 20". It just sounds like it would be a lot more comfortable.

steve V. johnson
Feb-11-2009, 11:00pm
I, who do not generally like GOMs, have melted.

Congrats on a beautiful, beautiful instrument.

Thanks,

stv

Chris Biorkman
Feb-11-2009, 11:25pm
That is seriously cool.

Dan Voight
Feb-11-2009, 11:38pm
Very classy. Love the stain color and binding together. It works.

herbsandspices
Feb-11-2009, 11:52pm
Beauty, Austin! What a cool looking instrument.

pjlama
Feb-11-2009, 11:55pm
Wow, I would be happy to evaluate that for you. Great lines and color, the work looks spot on too. I used to have MAS, happily it's mostly gone but my GBOMAS is flaring up :)

amowry
Feb-12-2009, 9:16am
Beautiful work Austin!

mandopete
Feb-12-2009, 9:59am
Austin - will this be comming to Wintergrass perchance?

Ken Olmstead
Feb-12-2009, 11:14am
Austin, that is sensational!!

Brad Weiss
Feb-12-2009, 11:24am
Oh, dear- that is TOO nice!! Like some of Michael Lewis's great guitars - you nailed the D'Angelico vibe. Where am I going to find the cash for this!!

djidaho
Feb-14-2009, 12:07am
I've got to put a plug in here for Austin and encourage anyone going to Wintergrass to stop by his booth. I had the pleasure of seeing the progress of the octave and Mandola and a few of the others in Austins last batch. Pictures & probably sound clips are simply not the same as the "in person experience"!

Dave

bsmando
Feb-15-2009, 12:23am
Hey Guys,
I got to play this beauty today! Wonderful, big, fat, sound. Nice and balanced all the way across and up the neck. Has a rich, voice with loads of range. This baby will be HOT at wintergrass! Somebody will fall in love with it!