PDA

View Full Version : F-style or A-style? Oval hole or F-hole?

Blip
Feb-10-2009, 6:48am
Hello!

I'm going to buy a new mandolin (my current one is a Stagg M40S, a rather cheap mandolin, though with solid top.. It costs $100 or something like that).

Now I'm planning on putting more money on the new mandolin. Somewhere around $300-500.

For this money I could get any style of those mandolin mentioned in the topic title from the local shops.

I'm planning on playing folk on it, and I would like it to be as loud as possible. Bright sound would be nice, because I'm planning to play together with a guitar and I would like the mandolin to be easily distinguished from the guitar.

Any recommendations on what type of mandolin or even specific mandolin models that would be the best for me?

Thanks!

Oliver R
Feb-10-2009, 7:23am
For the folk stuff a nice oval hole mandolin would give you the sound your after.
Flat tops are an ideal folk instrument, I know mid-mo mandolins are frequently recomended on this forum, I have never played one so...
A Carved top oval hole would be something like a used Eastman/Kentucly mandolin and this would give you a bit more 'cut' in the mix.
Oliver.

Oliver R
Feb-10-2009, 8:10am
A styles are basicaly the same mandolin as an F but without the ornaments (scrolls and points)that increase the price considerably.
The sound/tone is the same on A's and F's so in your price range go for a used A style (as above)

Blip
Feb-10-2009, 8:12am
Getting good used mandolin isn't exactly easy where I live.

Nearest store I know of that carries used mandolins is half a country away.
and shipping from the US or the UK would cost way too much.

Steve L
Feb-10-2009, 8:18am
At that price point I would stay away from F styles to maximize the quality of what you get. Turning up a used Eastman would be tough for $500 in my opinion. A used Mid Missouri/Big Muddy flat top would be a good choice in terms of workmanship, volume and tone but would not be a good choice for bluegrass if that's in your range of interests. Kentucky makes a 170's series of arch top oval holes for around $300 that seem well made and some folks have posted who like them, but I don't think they are particularly loud.

I might really consider looking at some Kentucky solid top A style F hole models. I don't know the line well enough to recommend a specific instrument but someone here will. I've heard a few of these in small Irish sessions and have been impressed with the tone and ability to cut through, especially for the price.

Perhaps most importantly, if you buy new try to buy from a dealer who can do some competent level of set up for you (nut height, making sure the frets are level, fitting the bridge to the top, adjustin the action and intonation, truss rod, etc.) Elderly instruments and Gianna Violins are a couple of suggestions, others are sure to follow. These things don't really leave the factory in optimal playing condition and fine tuning the above issues will really make a huge difference. You might have to pay some extra dough for this service but it is money well spent.

Good luck...let us know how you make out.

Oliver R
Feb-10-2009, 8:38am
Where abouts are you?

Blip
Feb-10-2009, 8:39am
Where abouts are you?

Southern Sweden.

Oliver R
Feb-10-2009, 8:40am
Ahh,
How about a nice old Levin then!

Blip
Feb-10-2009, 9:07am
Looked for used Levins on our two biggest sites for used stuff, found only one and that seemed to be in bad condition (and was sold for $75).

Found a few in Stockholm (which is far away from me) but they all had cracks in them (though repaired ones).

EggyToast
Feb-10-2009, 11:02am
Battle scars aren't all bad. I play double bass and it's simply a fact of having a huge instrument that they look "new" for all of one day.

If an instrument has been repaired, that means someone cared enough about it to put it back together, usually because they liked the way it sounded. After all, if it sounded bad, it's usually cheaper to just toss the broken one and get a new one that sounds good!

That doesn't help the distance thing, of course, but if you do come across an instrument that sounds good but looks a little beat up, let your ears decide, not your eyes. But yeah, I'll echo above -- A-style oval hole seems to be what you're after for the sound you're looking for.

mandolirius
Feb-10-2009, 1:46pm
In your price range, the Kentucky 250 is a good bet. They're pretty consistent, radius fingerboard and solid spruce top. If you just want to buy something and get on with it, that's not a bad way to go.

Oggy
Feb-10-2009, 1:57pm
Hello Blip, eller kanske hej funkar lika bra?

I live in Sweden too, in Umeå.

I honestly believe that an old and used Levin is your best choice, if it's tone you're looking for. PM me and I'll give you some hints about where to get one.

Mace
Feb-10-2009, 2:10pm
Keep an eye out for an Eastman 604....they can be had on the occasion at bargain sale prices. I got mine for $399. I've had other oval holes costing a great deal more. I'm very happy with the Eastman so far.

man dough nollij
Feb-10-2009, 2:58pm
Turning up a used Eastman would be tough for $500 in my opinion. A used Mid Missouri/Big Muddy flat top would be a good choice in terms of workmanship, volume and tone but would not be a good choice for bluegrass if that's in your range of interests.

I have an Eastman 504, and a 505. Didn't pay over $500 for either one, new. I second the suggestion of the Mid Mo, or maybe a Gypsy or used Flatiron pancake or Weber Y2K. Not sure what shipping to Sweden would be...

Oggy
Feb-10-2009, 3:25pm
Problem is, we have heavy taxes and custom-fees to pay if we import instruments to Sweden. Except the shipping (which costs between 200-300 dollars if you use Fedex or UPS) you have to add about 30% to the prize.

I know, it's bad, really bad to live in Sweden with regard to mandolins :crying:. But at least we have free health-care and other social perks :grin:.

red7flag
Feb-10-2009, 3:37pm
I have to respond to Oliver. To me there is a minor but significant difference in sound between an A and F models of the same brand. To me there is a complexity of sound to the F that is not in the A. This is in no way to deminish the value of an A. I have two and would not give them up. This is not to say that you cannot play grass on an A. Tim O'Brien has shown that and A can rock. My take is that there is a difference. Is it worth the difference in price? That is a question that each person has to answer. I just have issues with the statement that the only difference is ornamentation. There is to me a difference in sound. Now, that being said, at the price range you are talking about, I would suggest an A as the you will get more, even if different, mandolin for the $. At that level you are mostly looking at tone and playability. And there will be more of each for an A at the same price point.

TomTyrrell
Feb-10-2009, 4:28pm
I would advise you to get to know Oggy and all the mandolin players you can find in Sweden. Those are the people who are going to know where to find a good mandolin you can afford. One of them might actually have your mandolin now!

Oliver R
Feb-10-2009, 6:23pm
Hello Red flag.
Most builders will say that there is litle or no difference in tone between an A and an F, it is indeed ornamentation.
That said, I have played both F and A styles as you have yourself and I would agree that the F's to my ear feel a little 'tighter', bit more foreward projecting I suppose (rigid in build?/more mass?)

Howard33
Feb-10-2009, 8:13pm
I so badly want to get a custom A-style mandolin with A shaped holes so I can literally say my mando is an A-hole. ;)

JEStanek
Feb-10-2009, 8:32pm
Family site, Howard.

Blip
Feb-11-2009, 5:54am
Thanks for all the help people

I guess I'll look for a used Levin (they must turn up sometime), since importing from the US would cost too much.

JeffD
Mar-20-2009, 5:45pm
That is a question that each person has to answer. I just have issues with the statement that the only difference is ornamentation. There is to me a difference in sound. .

Are you talking apples and apples - an F with F holes vs. an A with F hole, or an F with an oval sound hole vs an A with an oval sound hole.

The sound hole shape makes a noticable difference.

The difference in sound between an A and an F with the same sound hole shape is, to my ear, smaller than the difference between any two instruments of the same kind - therefore not signifcant. Things like action height, type of strings, type of pick, make so much more difference, that any difference attributable to the scroll and points gets lost in the noise level.

Now, when I do get a vintage Gibson F2, I am sure my playing will become brilliant, and the classic lines of that F body will inspire me to greater heights of musicality. Curves just do that for me.

billkilpatrick
Mar-20-2009, 6:20pm
ciao blip -

check out the mandolin selection here:

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/?

on a daily basis, ebay germany is always worth a peek but you might also consider these people:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

... i've dealt with both and had no problems.

odd as it might seem, finding something other than a bowlback mandolin in italy can be a problem as well.

regards - bill