PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Butch INFO

Sinclair Baldassari
Feb-08-2009, 9:18am
The service and musical celebrations for Butch's life were fantastic. I am so overjoyed to have seen so many of you in attendance and thank you for all of your support. They were true tributes to a man , who in so many ways, was larger than life. I truly believe this world has been made a better place because he was in it.
Now, my real work to preserve his legacy and memory begins. There will be a tribute CD coming out very soon and I am hoping to collect an accurate discography and timeline of Butch's involvements in any and all recordings and membership in groups. I would like to list this on the tribute CD but if I can't get it together in time, it will be important for the archiving of information that I am just beginning. If you have any guaranteed correct information about the following, please send it to me as soon as possible. If you would like, you can back it up with photos, recordings, etc. I will return anything to you if you need it back.
MUSIC STUFF:
Groups in which Butch was a member.
Other members and what they played.
Dates.
Group Recordings.
Session work.
Special Gigs.
NON-MUSIC STUFF:
Places he lived and worked.
Roommates.
Jobs he had.
Miscellaneous:
Special events.
Special stories.

Even though Butch is no longer with us in body, I know his spirit and his music is all around. Please help me to preserve our memories. Don't forget to visit Blake and me if ever you are in Nashville.

Much love,
Sinclair

Don Grieser
Feb-08-2009, 12:31pm
Sinclair,

RFD-TV replays some of the old Reno Brothers television shows. I caught one with Tom T Hall a few years back and I saw a very young Butch playing in the band that was backing up Tom T Hall. I can't remember the rest of the band, but the image of young Butch really stuck in my mind. Sorry I don't have any other info, but that might be a lead for you for one of his more obscure performances that was recorded.

He also played with Richard Greene and the Grass is Greener at the El Morro Theatre in Gallup, New Mexico in April 1996 or 1997 while they were in the area to play the Durango (Colorado) Bluegrass Meltdown.

He taught at the first RockyGrass Academy (Planet Bluegrass, Lyons, Colorado) in July 1995, I think. I was one of the 3 students he had--I was just starting to play then. I think the Grass is Greener all taught there and performed that year and then Butch taught at RockyGrass again a couple years later.

Hope some of that helps.

Don

mandozilla
Feb-08-2009, 12:32pm
Hello Mrs. Baldassari,
It's good to know that you are doing this and I will follow with interest. :) I'm sorry that I have nothing for you as I only knew Butch through his recordings and a few performances. :crying: Like many, Butch will live in my heart and in my memory for the rest of my life and I'll always enjoy the legacy of his music. God bless you and Blake. :mandosmiley:

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-08-2009, 1:56pm
Dear Sinclair,

As I wrote you I remember the winter's of 68 and 69 when Butch, his brother his brothers and his parents were season pass holder at Poco North Ski resort near Lake Wallenpaupack. We all skied togeaher and were on a Jr. Race team lead by Art Schmidt Jr. from Colorado. I was sick at the end of the winter of 1969 and all season pass holder signed a poster for me. I am in Vancouver now but in the Spring if I make back east I will see if I can find it. We were all like a big family in those days. One thing you might like to ask his brothers is if the remember the ski marthon. I believe they were all involved in that all ski event. Those were the best winters of my life.