PDA

View Full Version : MMS-9FE Morgan Monroe Mandolin

smokey08
Feb-07-2009, 10:54am
hi! i'm new to this forum--wold like to know if anyone owns a Morgan Monroe Mandolin--i just bought the MMS-9FE--i have trouble with it in tuning--maybe it's not set up properly--i think it has a set of d'darrio strings on it--anyway i'm thinking about putting another set of d'darrio on but trying mediums this time--what do you think?? any info. would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

JEStanek
Feb-07-2009, 11:15am
Hi Smokey and welcome to the Café. What do you mean by trouble tuning? If you get it in tune with open strings it is off when fretted? If so, the bridge may need to be moved. If the fretted strings are sharp, move the bridge towards the tailpiece. If the fretted strings are flat move the bridge towards the nut. Lower the tension on the strings when you try this or you'll damage the finish.

If that's not the problem, try getting it to a luthier or a decent set up person to make sure the nut and saddle slots are properly shaped and cut and do the other set up things to it. That instrument should be able to do its job for you with a little tweaking.

Jamie