Feb-07-2009, 4:12am
Peter Alexander - Mamma di Mandolin & Hazy Osterwald Sextett - Heinele 1956:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1DhmeEXGfg

Kip
Feb-07-2009, 5:16am
Ummm... Wow!

Michael Cameron
Feb-07-2009, 5:40pm
I missed seeing a mandolin...no worries.

That drummer bears an eery resemblance to Keith Moon.

Whoa.

Bertram Henze
Feb-08-2009, 5:38am
typical German tourist view of Italy - Germans discovering that there is elegance outside Germany just after WWII; but that's exactly what German citizens needed after decades of destruction and hunger. The mandolin is just verbal part of the cliche.

Makes my toenails curl up.

Bertram

MikeEdgerton
Feb-08-2009, 8:30am
Makes my toenails curl up.

OK, so it wasn't just me.

Klaus Wutscher
Feb-08-2009, 9:56am
This is sad on many different levels:

Peter Alexander had some artistic potential that was wasted in dozends of movies like this one

Likewise the band - they could swing when they were allowed, which was rarely the case.

As usual at that time, the clip was making fun of handicapped people.

Plus, no mandolin in sight.

If you grew up in Germany or Austria between 1950 and 1990, you were exposed to that stuff on a regular basis....

That said, my toenails still curl......

Daniel Nestlerode
Feb-08-2009, 2:11pm
What I want to know is, where did the cook go?

:grin:

Daniel

Martin Jonas
Feb-10-2009, 5:27am
This is sad on many different levels:
If you grew up in Germany or Austria between 1950 and 1990, you were exposed to that stuff on a regular basis....

That said, my toenails still curl......

Mine, too -- stuff like this is one of the main horrors of a childhood in Germany! And these aren't some obscure oddball performers either; Peter Alexander and Hazy Osterwald are two of the very biggest names in German show business.

As Klaus and Bertram have already said, a kitsch view of Italy was a mainstay of 1950s German schlagers and movies, along with the even more toe-curling wave of Heimatfilms. Both of these arose out of a desire to escape the grim recent past and escape to a glossy dream world, together with the first tourist wave produced by the booming post-war economy.

For something similar that does actually have a mandolin playing on it, try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZzhuoBF8_g&feature=related) clip of a schlager titled "Mandolinen und Mondschein" ("mandolins and moonshine"). Doesn't make it any less toe-curling, though.

Martin

Bertram Henze
Feb-10-2009, 6:53am
As Klaus and Bertram have already said, a kitsch view of Italy was a mainstay of 1950s German schlagers and movies, along with the even more toe-curling wave of Heimatfilms.

Just in case anybody wonders what "Heimatfilms" are - here is a compilation good for serious facial distortions. Watch at your own risk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3FKfMEhqo

:grin: Bertram

brunello97
Feb-10-2009, 7:56am
Entspannen Sie Ihre Zehen, meinen Herren. This was a decade before my arrival, but no doubt America was watching Lawrence Welk, or some equally authentic at the time. Bill Monroe was wearing a silly hat.

But check it out: white dinner jackets, an array of 'bones, strapless dresses and ballo liscio. Okay, un po piu liscio sarebbe meglio.

Mick