PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mandolin

KJB
Feb-06-2009, 11:30pm
Many years ago, I had a 1921 Gibson A2 that I unfortunately parted ways with. I am looking at buying a new mandolin, but I'm looking for something a little more affordable than a vintage instrument with the wider nut (1 3/16", I believe) that the Gibson had.

Looking on line, it appears that Kentucky and Eastman make oval -holed A-style mandos. Any feedback is appreciated. This is my first time posting. Thanks.

KJB

pjlama
Feb-07-2009, 1:04am
Both Kentucky and Eastman are good choices. I have a Kentucky KM172, which is an A oval that I like for the dough. The Eastman is a little step up and are quite nice, I've played several and they're good instruments. I owned one of the F ovals and it was very good. I don't think either are wide nuts though. Hopefully someone else has some ideas.

Lawn Jockey
Feb-07-2009, 7:29am
Breedlove offers an 1 3/16" nut width. Their Quartz 00 (http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/mandolins/quartz/oo_of/specs_oo.php) is a great mandolin but I don't know what price range you are looking in.

Good luck with your search.

Chuck Naill
Feb-07-2009, 8:59am
The little Eastman oval hole mandolins remind me of the Gibson sound. I have had one for a few years.

Steve L
Feb-07-2009, 10:34am
If your price point is at about $500 (I'm guessing) an arch top oval with a 1 3/16" nut is going to be hard to find. You can get a Mid Mo/Big Muddy or Gypsy flat top with a wide spacing or the Eastman or Kentuckys arch tops which have more standard width. Obviously, your money goes farther with used vs. new. The Breedlove's are great mandolins for the money and often pop up used for about $800 or so.

JEStanek
Feb-07-2009, 12:09pm
The Eastman has a narrow nut. If you want a wider nut look at a used Breedlove Quartz OO. They should be found in the $600-800 range. Others have commented on the nice tone of the oval holed Quatrz models. I had a Quartz KF that I traded for an Eastman because I prefer the thinner more V shaped neck of the Eastman than the wider chunkier Breedlove neck.

My Eastman width at the nut is 1 3/32 with a span of 31/32 between the outer G and E strings.

While it isn't an archtop, there is a Weber Aspen at The Mandolin Store for under 1K in addition to the new Breedlove Quartz OO there. Elderly also carries the Breedlove line and has a used Bridger from '98 at a good price too. NFI for these, I was just looking.

Jamie

KJB
Feb-09-2009, 9:12am
Thanks to everyone for the help. I'll let you know what I end up with.