PDA

View Full Version : Glossy spot on A9

Frank T.
Feb-06-2009, 10:09am
I just bought a 2003 Gibson A9. The fellow fully disclosed there was a glossy spot near the lower F hole. He mentioned that it came like that when he bought it new in 2004. The finish on the mandolin is a dull matte except for 3 by 4 inch spot by the lower F hole. It looks like it got sprayed there with glossy lacquer. I am happy the mandolin. It otherwise sounds great with a very deep tone and plays easily. Just wondering if 1) that is rare for Gibson to release a mandolin with a very apparent finish problem and 2) if that can be corrected or should just be left alone.

RichM
Feb-06-2009, 10:24am
That glossy spot is pretty common on matte finish mandolins. There is a tendency for many players to plant or drag a finger over that spot. Over time, that motion tends to polish a shiny spot into the matte finish. I doubt it came from Gibson like that, but anything's possible.

I wouldn't let it bother you. You certainly could, with some time and elbow grease, polish the rest of the finish to match. But really, it's just another sign that the mandolin's getting played, and that's what mandolins are for!

Chris Biorkman
Feb-06-2009, 10:57am
The guy who sold it to you is full of it. The glossy spot is from planting his fingers.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-06-2009, 11:05am
He could have also tried to rub out a small scratch or blemish, there's a world of reasons out there other than the explanation offered.

mandroid
Feb-06-2009, 1:59pm
If its in a place where you can touch while you are playing, thats likely what the other guy did too.

Could have the rest of the Matte finish buffed out, or ignore it .

Option 3 : get one of Stevarino's CA nice abbreviated pickguards that he makes for A9's
and that will be a nice addition, and a place for that wandering finger..

Jim Broyles
Feb-06-2009, 4:55pm
I got my shiny spots out of my Fullerton Gloucester, which has a matte finish like the A and F 9's with some 600 sandpaper. Worked pretty well. 'Course, it's only a $300.00 mandolin so I did the whole top. :)