PDA

View Full Version : Falls of Richmond?

Adam Tracksler
Feb-05-2009, 6:47pm
Anyone play this? it's really hypnotic and groov-y. I have been listening to Dwight Diller and The Downtrodden Stringband's versions.

Orrin Star
Feb-05-2009, 7:01pm
It's a great 4-part tune.

Learned it years ago from Howie Tarnower (accomplished Boston area mandolin player)
and now play it as the final tune in a three-tune medley.

Orrin
http://orrinstar.com

fatt-dad
Feb-06-2009, 8:14am
Wonderful tune! Wish it was related to where I live, however. Apparently, this tune is related to some place in West Virginia, not Richmond, Virginia. Would like to have the story, however. . .

f-d

Adam Tracksler
Feb-06-2009, 9:21am
All I know: BHO Link (http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=126715)

clopez
Feb-06-2009, 10:19am
Excellent tune! I recall reading that the tune didn't exist outside of the Hammons family, and that Edden learned it from his uncle Pete (b. 1840's?), who Edden believed came up with it. Refers to a place on the James River near Richmond, I believe. I learned it from a recording of Edden and dig playing such a fine tune that may be very close to its original form. Or not. Edden was such a fine fiddler he may well have put his own mark on it.

fatt-dad
Feb-06-2009, 11:21am
None of the old-time pickers I play with in Richmond, Virginia attribute this tune to the Falls of the James River (in Richmond) or to the fall of Richmond during the Civil War. I'm not saying they're right and I'm no music historian, but what I hear the most is the tune is related to some place in West Virginia. I'll do some more research and talk it up a bit. Full report to follow. . .

f-d

fatt-dad
Feb-06-2009, 4:58pm
According to MARK CAMPBELL (http://www.markccampbelloldtimefiddle.com/index.html)

The Sandstone falls on the New River, below Hinton and the Greenbrier River, used to be called the falls at New Richmond. as the Richmond family farm is on the southern shore. He argued with the railroad all the time and when they went to name a depot there, they used the name "Sandstone" and the name of the falls now is Sandstone Falls.

SANDSTONE FALLS (http://www.waterfalls-guide.com/wv_sandstone_falls_sriram_photos.htm)

Hope this adds to the confusion!

f-d

allenhopkins
Feb-06-2009, 5:25pm
ibiblio.org/fiddlers/ (http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/FACE_FAO.htm) sez different:

“Falls of Richmond” has been a popular piece among old-time revivalists but its original associations were with the Hammonds family of West Virginia. It is said that members of the family trace the tune back to “Old Uncle Pete” Hammons, born in 1845. Burl Hammonds called the tune “Falls of Richmond,” in the plural. The title refers to the small waterfalls, or rapids, on the James River at Richmond, rather than, as some have supposed, the 1865 capitulation (or "fall") of Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy during the American Civil War (Allan Jabbour points out Richmond ‘fell’ not only in the Civil War, but in the Revolutionary War as well). The falls of the James mark the farthest navigable point on the river, leading to the development of Richmond.

fatt-dad
Feb-07-2009, 10:48pm
More from Mark Cambell:

The Hammons family is where the 2 versions of "Falls of Richmond" most people know come from. I know of no other sources. Burl Hammons and perhaps Eddin Hammons lived in Pocahontas county which is on the Greenbrier river that feeds into the New River not too far above the falls in question. Most had boatsman (batteau polers) in their families that plied the rivers trading. The falls would be of great interest to these families. Tunes were often named after places; "Yew Piney Mountain" "Three Forks of Cheat" all of which are in the area. It stands to reason that they would write a tune that is also about the falls as easily as they would a fork of a river or a mountain. The tune is in the style of the Hammons family and I don't believe that there are sources or mentions of the tune in the Richmond, Virginia or the lowlands as are many other tunes.

Being from Richmond, most of us would like the tune to be from here, but, I'm not sure it is.

f-d

Harlan_55
Feb-08-2009, 9:21pm
Hiya Carl,

I talked with Mark Campbell about this last night. Said pretty much the same that you have written above. Since he has traveled and met people from that area, he was pretty definitive about the "Falls" referring to the Sandstone falls on the New River. Of course, he made the point, that Edden lived there as well as the rest of the Hammond clan and could not believe they would have named a tune about an area outside of their geography. Great tune, it. Does get pulled out in jam sessions here in Richmond pretty regularly. Allan Jabbour used it for his Richmond set during his Shady Grove gig with Ken Perlman.

Off topic, they also did a Green Willis set. Played GW in 6/8 , then in 4/4. That was wild, so I got Mark to reproduce that last night too.

Harlan

Harlan_55
Feb-08-2009, 9:25pm
Hiya Carl,

I talked with Mark Campbell about this last night. Said pretty much the same that you have written above. Since he has traveled and met people from that area, he was pretty definitive about the "Falls" referring to the Sandstone falls on the New River. Of course, he made the point, that Edden lived there as well as the rest of the Hammond clan and could not believe they would have named a tune about an area outside of their geography. Great tune!!! It does get pulled out in jam sessions here in Richmond pretty regularly. Allan Jabbour used it for his Richmond set during his Shady Grove gig with Ken Perlman.

Off topic, they also did a Green Willis set. Played GW in 6/8 , then in 4/4. That was wild, so I got Mark to reproduce that last night too.

Harlan

fatt-dad
Feb-09-2009, 9:07am
Hey back at you! Got the invite to the Saturday jam too late. Would have loved to be there.

f-d