PDA

View Full Version : Bussmann Fans

Frank Russell
Jul-27-2004, 6:20pm
Hey folks, I need to pick your collective brain once again. I have an f-hole A on order with Old Wave, and while opinion will not make me change my mind about getting it, I would really like to hear from some folks who have one, just to see what I can expect. I've been wanting one of Mr. Bussmann's toys for quite a while now, so I am fairly excited. Let me hear what you have. I believe the one I'm getting next week has a two piece back, wide grain Englemann spruce top with a vintage sunburst. I have seen the pix, and it's a killer. I just wish I wanted an oval hole or a blacktop. He's got a nearly finished one-piece back blacktop (f-holes) that's got really beautiful back flame, and a monster quilted back, redwood topped oval hole that sucks the breath away. I'm just an f-hole guy, I guess. Thanks in advance for your input. Frank

homermando
Jul-27-2004, 9:08pm
I have an old wave A with F holes and I couldn`t be happier. It`s got more volume than almost every F-5 I`ve compared it to (mostly at mandofest) It`s got a great bluegrass chop,dry, woody tone and "soul" that spoke to me. It also sounds great for celtic and old time and surprisingly good for jazz. It`s got an engleman top and a one piece birdseye back finished as a blonde. All the pro musicians and repair guys who have seen it have been impressed at its workmanship and tone especilly for its price (under 2000) There`s a reason you don`t see many Old Waves for sale.

Coy Wylie
Jul-27-2004, 9:24pm
I played two Old Wave A style F holes last week. One belonged to Steve Smith (http://www.desertnight.com/) and the other belonged to a friend and was for sale. Steve's was a cannon. The other sounded good but had not been played very much. It sold for $1000.

pickinNgrinnin
Jul-27-2004, 9:42pm
OK Frank...I was wondering why you were selling your F9 and A9. This is all starting to add up http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Be sure to send in a review when you get it! I've not had a chance to play an Old Wave but I've read many positive comments about them on the cafe over the past few years.

Have fun!

jim simpson
Jul-27-2004, 10:06pm
Frank,
Is it too soon to bug you for a review of the Kettler that you stole off of Ebay? I hope it's a good one and if it is go ahead and get the round hole black top Bussman. You would have more variety.
Jim

Frank Russell
Jul-27-2004, 11:32pm
Jim - Unfortunately, the Kettler is still on the road to my door. I should get it tomorrow (Wednesday). I will surely post my review as soon as I give it a whirl. Yes, pickin, I really had to suck it up to let those two 9's go. They were both a pleasure to play. As for the oval hole, I have owned several in my short time as a mandolin obsessive, and while I thought they sounded beautiful, I still prefer the f-hole sound. I have a little hand-made pancake style with oval hole a local luthier made me, and it suits my oval taste just fine. I'll be back with reviews when I have all my new toys. Thanks guys, keep those posts coming. Frank

ab4usa
Jul-28-2004, 7:01am
FJ,
Just sent Bill my deposit for one of the "Christmas" litter and I can't wait. BTW, I think a friend of mine and fellow jam session mando player bought your A9!

oldwave maker
Jul-28-2004, 7:45am
When it gets really hot and sticky, I like to use my a style bussmann fan, without the f holes. I can tell even tell its sticky without looking at my f hole a style hygrometer!
bill
oldwave-when 'good enough' costs more than a mexican liver transplant!

Frank Russell
Jul-28-2004, 7:57am
Yep, there's the other reason I want to buy one from Mr. B... The Cafe would be lots more boring without his posts. Any chance you could post the pix of that fretboard (banjo?) you did with all the funny inlays, Bill? I didn't save them when you put them here before. Frank

oldwave maker
Jul-29-2004, 7:53am
Used this at wintergrass as a fundraising tool for the mando symposium- banjo jokes told 25 cents- raised over $20, mostly in canadian, euro and pounds sterling!

oldwave maker
Jul-29-2004, 8:00am
Sorry- yes, its a bass. Only use it on stage in the Appalachian-cajun-funk band. Inlays from top: bubble from 4ft level/onion/uzi/a flat minor/chainsaw/hand grenade/trampoline/handicap sign/boat anchor/key/dumpster/2 banjos/empire state bldg./pizza/harley/vacuum/a flat major/birth control/monstertone.
Q:why are there no banjos on star trek?
A: duh! its the future!

Mando Medic
Jul-29-2004, 8:07am
Stop it Bill! What a crack up. I have bought and sold Bill's instruments for a few years and they are a bargain. he builds good sounding instruments. I have a mustard yellow A w/oval hole that sounds better than any Gibson oval hole A. The color is weird but the sound is great. Bill, where do you come up with your colors? I know there is no Wal-Mart within 100 mile of you. Kenc

Lee
Jul-29-2004, 11:11am
After stumbling upon a brand new Old Wave Oval-A at Gruhn's and being completely astounded, I'm getting MAS thinking about an F-hole A of his too, to make the perfect pair.
One little detail I like about his oval-A is Bill didn't waste time putting that silly binding up the fretboard. Unfortunately there must have been some nasty flaw in the headstock grain because he covered the front with black veneer. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Spruce
Jul-29-2004, 1:20pm
"Sorry- yes, its a bass. Only use it on stage in the Appalachian-cajun-funk band. "

Any chance of a pic of the peghead, Bill?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

oldwave maker
Jul-30-2004, 9:43am
kenc- hey! Im only 70 miles north of walmart, but 20 miles south of a 1 stoplight town (truth or consequences), found that topwood color in the used pamper of a newborn breastfed baby!

spruce- the pegheads of both instruments I got from that dope-crazed ole luthier before he entered the federal half-wit protection program, I dont think the banjobass is really what it says on the headstock, even tho its stamped 'THIRD' on the back! sonds like a roundwound tenor banjo thru my octave divider tho!
bill
old wave- 'none of our mandos suck!'

Frank Russell
Aug-09-2004, 7:02pm
Well, it's here, and I'll have to agree with Mr. Bussmann's credo "None of our mandolins suck." This thing is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to decide whether to play it or stare at it. I like the old-fashioned look, and the sunburst on this top sure has it. Mesmerizing flame on the back, neck and rear of peghead. It's scary how loud and sweet this days-old mandolin sounds, an hour out of the box. I wish I wasn't such a non-digital caveman, I would like to post photos of this new toy. Without sounding like too much of a weenie, I can say that the volume and tone (and workmanship) compare very favorably to a Givens A4 I have at my house right now, and that A4 is surely a good one. Bitchin, that's all I can find to describe it. Frank

oldwave maker
Aug-09-2004, 10:24pm
Well, I'm a digital caveman, so here goes!

oldwave maker
Aug-09-2004, 10:26pm
and the backside:

jasona
Aug-09-2004, 10:42pm
Very nice!

Frank Russell
Aug-10-2004, 12:05am
Thanks for the pix Mr. B - now I look a little less like a bragging weenie with nothing to back it up. Nice work, now it's my computer wallpaper. Thanks again, Frank.