PDA

View Full Version : Another Pick Thang/Marilynn Mair?

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-04-2009, 2:07pm
I have learning a lot from Marilynns The Complete Mandolinist which I highly praise.I have used the same heavey mando pick I got from Gregg Boyd back in the summer of 05' I have been happy with it and hold many different ways to get sounds I like. In Marilynns book she recommends certin picks for more color in sound. A Fender small heavy guitar pick is on her best list. I have one and have been trying it. It is as different as from day to night and will take time to get used to it, so is it worth it?

Chris Biorkman
Feb-04-2009, 2:33pm
Um, yes? Just buy the Blue Chip already and be done with it.

CES
Feb-04-2009, 3:15pm
I use a Fender Heavy almost exclusively on my acoustics, but I prefer the larger triangular shape, particularly after one of the points gets a little rounded (my brother, a guitar player, was fussing about the condition of my current pick recently, and after pointing out that he could just turn it to another point :) I commented that it was just gettin' broken in good). BUT, I'm a cheapskate (though not a bad pick-loser yet) and won't break down and get a Wegen or Blue Chip. The regular triangle Fender H is pretty good for clean pickin'/strumming but takes a little more finesse with tremolo...

MandoSquirrel
Feb-06-2009, 5:44pm
I find the "standard" Fender 351 shape(one point, two rounded shoulders) ideal for more "technical" playing on mandolin, such as tremolo, duo style, crosspicking, etc.
Triangles & rounded picks don't have the necessary finesse, & the 351 shape can be moved around for different picking surfaces as needed. I demand 1.21 mm to 1.5 or a tad thicker.