PDA

View Full Version : Ebay picks

Jeff Chu
Jan-29-2009, 8:23pm
Can someone help me decipher these pick actions on ebay. This dealer seems to have a ton of picks up, at very expensive prices. Calling them vintage collectibles. Is this code for tortoise? I apoloigize if this is not an appropriate topic for the forum. Please help me understand, and take a look about a couple of the other auctions by the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ESTATE-GUITAR-MANDOLIN-BLUEGRASS-PICK-PICKS_W0QQitemZ260212322557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuit ar_Accessories?hash=item260212322557&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/c0/e6/a2_1.JPG

Link
Jan-29-2009, 8:34pm
According to the auction, it's not tortoise (at least not endangered tortoise), but who knows if he's telling the truth. Fifty bucks for a pick just because it's vintage seems like a lot to me.

AlanN
Jan-29-2009, 8:36pm
Very cumbersome to read the rambling description in the ebay ad, but nowhere did I see what these are made from, although there is paragraph of what they are NOT made from.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Jim Broyles
Jan-29-2009, 8:46pm
That seller has actually calmed down a bit over the years. She used to list those picks for $125.00. Whether she sold any or not, I don't know, but I bought a white D'Andrea Dawg from her when they were reasonable about 3 years ago. They're outrageous now. I think she thinks these picks are TS, no matter what she "disclaims" in the listing. The most ridiculous thing she lists is a Fender Heavy 351 in shell for $35.00. Nope, I take that back. There's a medium for 50 bucks. Pre CBS. How she knows that, I don't know. Looks just like the ones I have.

Jeff Chu
Jan-29-2009, 11:14pm
i also saw some single pro plec "jazz mando" shaped picks for 10 bucks each... i am wondering if she is implying they are some kind of tortoise and older because theyre were from an estate sale...some of the stuff on their is scary.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-30-2009, 8:26am
We won't be discussing the sale or availability of tortoise picks anymore as it violates the posting guidelines. Suffice to say that I the buyer should beware on these auctions as you don't know what it is you're buying.

TomTyrrell
Jan-30-2009, 9:28am
That particular seller has hundreds of picks listed for prices that are simply amazing. If you want a $50 pick there are a lot of better options.

Michael Gowell
Jan-30-2009, 11:53am
It's just the vibe her ad puts out, but I wouldn't be surprised if her corporate name was 'Vintage Estate' so that any pick she sold would be...

David Newton
Jan-30-2009, 12:17pm
Those certainly don't look like they are not genuine. Quack!

Jeff Chu
Jan-30-2009, 12:50pm
Sorry about that, Mike. Wont happen again.

JFDilmando
Jan-31-2009, 11:45am
From the photos it sure looks like these are the things that disturb people...that is, true tort shell... a few have that bit of a wavy appearance that some real shell material has...

I have no idea the value of such things... how much is a gram of cocaine going for... or any other illegal substance... or dare I say "immoral" to some.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-31-2009, 1:17pm
And we're done.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-31-2009, 4:35pm
My take is that the ones in the picture are real, they aren't antique, and the going rate for these picks, generally imported from the far east, is about $35.00 each. The problem with buying them off eBay is you might get a picture of one thing and receive a nice plastic pick when it's shipped to you. Let the buyer beware. You can't really argue with a guy for not shipping you something that is illegal.

TomTyrrell
Jan-31-2009, 5:40pm
If the seller says it isn't gold then don't expect gold, even if it looks like gold.

Stephen Lind
Feb-04-2009, 1:47am
those Blue Chip's are looking better and better