PDA

View Full Version : Axton Kincaid...and Stone Roses on mando!

Alex Orr
Jan-29-2009, 4:38pm
I just discovered a FANTASTIC alt-country/roots rock act out of San Francisco, that prominently features some nice mando picking.

Among the other things you can check out on their myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/axtonkincaid) is a country-ish version of the Stone Roses' anthem "I Wanna Be Adored" :disbelief:. I never really thought about it in terms of the mandolin, but after hearing the lead melody line played on the 8-string, I think I found a new tune to work on :mandosmiley:

(I suppose I should mention here that the first Stone Roses album is perhaps my favorite record ever made)

Anyway, that was what caught my ear initially, but it only took listening to a couple of songs to totally fall for this band. They write and play some really, really, really fine songs. If I could be in a dream band, it would sound a lot like these guys. Yep...looks like I got myself a new favorite band.

[Disclaimer: I have no connection to this band. Just thought I'd spread the word about a good roots rock band that prominently features the mandolin, as well as an unusual cover that features the 8-string]