PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Weber Fern?

pdlstl
Jul-26-2004, 3:12pm
I'm considering moving away from my trusty Flatiron Festival and am looking hard at the Weber Fern.

Would love some feedback from owners or anyone who has played one.

Thanks!

Mark Normand
Jul-26-2004, 7:17pm
I have one, bought it almost new, couldn't pass a good deal, way more mando than I'll ever need! haha
I like it, still getting used to it after my Rigel a+ deluxe with that great fretboard. I've had nothing but good comments from really good players who tried it. Fit/finish is spotless too. But you know that. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nick Triesch
Jul-26-2004, 7:55pm
I have a Weber fern! (no kidding!). Anyway I've had mine for a year and a half and it's really terrific in all ways. These are the things that I noticed when I bought it: Great sound with good bass and clear treble. Terrific choice of tone woods all the way around. Great fit and finish better than some of the other big name mandolins. Just feels good in my hands and gives me the sound that I've only found in a few mandolins. Gibson, Apitius, both have a like sound . The Fern is a great deal for being Webers high end mandolin. Others like it will cost much more. IMHO, Nick

pdlstl
Jul-26-2004, 7:58pm
I've done a lot of research after posting my original message and have spoken with Paula twice.

I've about decided to custom order as there are some options I'd like to have.

Glad to hear the good words on this mando!

BTW, are y'all playing bluegrass?

Thanks.

doc holiday
Jul-26-2004, 10:51pm
The Fern is a great one. By the way have a look at using cedar as a topwood. Eric Uglum from "Lost Highway" plays a fern w/ a cedar top, swtiching from an older Randy Wood mando. As well Chad Fadely who is a hot mando player in Montana and whose main mando is a Gilchrist just bought a Weber Yellowstone w/ a cedar top. Bruce and Paula have been great to work with, I don't think you can go wrong!
Regards,
Doc

Albert Whiting
Jul-26-2004, 11:09pm
i don't think i would use cedar. i had a cedar top mandolin and it just didn't have the tone a spruce mandolin does. it did not age well at all and it is extremely bright with no bass. i love spruce

Mark Normand
Jul-27-2004, 8:52am
Yes I play mostly bluegrass, and the chop with a dawg pick is very loud, especially a 4finger A chord. Sustain is very good too.
I rec'd the same input about cedar tops too, almost bought one, but decided I would stay with the more trad. spruce.
I may decide to sell this fern later, what I really want is a used yellowstone with 1 3/16 wide neck, and the finish removed from the back of the neck.

pdlstl
Jul-27-2004, 3:42pm
<snip>...and the finish removed from the back of the neck.

I had thought about having the finish removed on the neck of my current Flatiron but reached an epiphany last week.

I attended Camp Bluegrass last week (my second year) and learned that I had a bad habit going on.

I thought I needed the finish removed so I could move my hand up and down the neck faster. But last week my instructor pointed out to us that each finger should be used on two frets. Example: index handles the first two frets, middle the next two, etc.

So, I realized I was trying to treat the wrong symptom. Instead of trying to make my hand fly up and down the neck, I needed to correct my playing style. #Since I've begun working on that, the finish on the back of the neck is not near the issue it was before.

My 2¢...YMMV

jim_n_virginia
Jul-28-2004, 9:32am
I'm considering moving away from my trusty Flatiron Festival and am looking hard at the Weber Fern.
Hey I want to upgrade to a F style from my A style Flatiron so if you are interested in selling your F Flatiron when you get you new Weber let me know!

Webers are great your getting an awesome mando!

strumNgrin
Jul-31-2004, 10:08pm
Not sure what your level of skill is, but I have a Fern & play in a bluegrass band. The mando is better than great, the people at Weber are even better yet, but the finish on the neck had to go!
Daryl

mandoman4807
Aug-01-2004, 12:02am
I was fortunate to have owned the Fern prototype.

I listed it in the classified adds here about a year ago, and it sold to some one who actually work's for the same company I do. Talk about a small world. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Darrell