PDA

View Full Version : How do I buy from claasified without getting ripped off

john bolger
Jan-27-2009, 10:23am
Im interested in buying a mando from classified . What is the usual process to assure buyer and seller are both happy......

Giving my $ to an lone individual make me nervous.
Your help and insights are appreciated.

John

MikeEdgerton
Jan-27-2009, 10:49am
Contact the seller by clicking on the link in the ad. You can ask for a telephone number so that the two of you can talk. This is a situation where you have to trust the individual on the other end of the line. You can ask for references if they''ve sold to anyone else on the cafe but in the end it's a personal transaction between you and the seller. If you can't get comfortable with that you'd be much better off finding a seller that is local to you.

JEStanek
Jan-27-2009, 11:13am
To expand on what Mike has written, which is excellent, the Mandolin Café provides the classifieds as a service to the mandolin community allowing a concentration of our relatively rare instrument family (compared to guitars for example) to be showcased in one place. However, the Mandolin Café is not involved in the transactions in any sense, is not paid to provide this service, nor does it mediate between parties. You should treat these ads just like you would an ad in the Classifieds section of a print newspaper.

That said, if the ad doesn't specifically detail an approval period, you should ask for one. Work out the arrangements for return shipping (typically the buyers expense) should the mandolin not meet the approval conditions. If both parties aren't satisfied with the arrangement, walk away as Mike suggested. Communicate, communicate, communicate.

I've had several dealings via the classifieds and each one has gone very smoothly.

Jamie

Scott Tichenor
Jan-27-2009, 11:26am
Actually, I *do* mediate between parties if necessary, and very aggressively when I do, but that's a very rare event and the track record on resolving those is close to 100%. On occasion someone asks for a reference for a seller and I'm happy to provide those privately. #1 issue I see that's the cause of unhappy people in transactions: poor communication on behalf of buyer and seller. Also, there are a lot of measures in place on the Classifieds that are not visible to anyone but that are there to protect buyer and seller.

Jkf_Alone
Jan-27-2009, 11:52am
I would be more nervous buying from craigslist or Ebay than the cafe. Most people who post in the classifieds regularly comment on the forums, and are a part of the mandolin community. When you are looking to buy, just do your research and thoroughly discuss the details with the seller. Look back through their posts and see what kind of person you are buying from. Once you get a name, address, and phone # you can find out enough information using whitepages.com and google on most people to decide whether you are comfortable purchasing or not. Using money orders or cashiers checks, you have security as well, just keep your receipts.

sonnyjammer
Jan-27-2009, 12:38pm
If I understand correctly, doesn't paypal offer some protection for the buyer and seller if a transaction goes fraudulent?:confused:

JEStanek
Jan-27-2009, 12:44pm
Apologies, Scott.

John Hill
Jan-27-2009, 1:12pm
The Cafe classifieds have been nothing but a wonderful experience for me. I've bought & sold mandolins, cd's, books, dvd's...you name it. Good experiences all around even if there was the occasional small glitch.

Just contact the seller and talk to them. They're mando fans just like you and will understand about shelling out big $'s for an instrument sight unseen from a stranger.

mandopete
Jan-27-2009, 2:06pm
Yeah, I've always had good experiences in buying things from the classified ads here. As others mention, this is a mandolin "cafe" which to me really means a mandolin community and many people get to know each other online in this cafe.

jimbob
Jan-27-2009, 2:34pm
I have made probably a 1/2 dozen transactions through these classifieds. I have always started with a reply to the ad, then a couple of emails, then a telephone call. During these communications, I check out the seller ( or buyer) and he has the chance to check me out. I try to be polite, direct and business-like and have found the individuals with whom I have dealt to be the same. The only issues have been forms of payment. Paypal works for some people. Checks work better for me, but you have to allow time to clear the bank. I have always had very good luck in the way sellers have packed the items for shipment. Overall, my experienecs have been very positive and I think it all starts with the first inquiry and a serious, thoughtful dialogue to close the transaction.

John Flynn
Jan-27-2009, 2:49pm
I empathize with the perception of uncertainty dealing with someone you haven't met, but I'd consider the classifieds here to be one of the safer options. Put it in perspective: There are no 100% guarantees with any option, even buying face-to-face in a store. In fact, I've had more problems with stores over the years than I've had with any online option.

mando.player
Jan-27-2009, 3:15pm
I've bought and sold a few instruments over the classifieds and they've all turned out just fine. One thing I've always done is ask if the other party has a username in the Cafe forums. If they do I'll spend some time browsing their posts to see how established they are in our little community. It's not a bullet proof method, but it's helped ease some concerns.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-27-2009, 4:24pm
I just want to take everyone back to reality. I've had 4 or 5 good purchases, one questionable that I should have sent back but didn't a few years ago. The classifieds are great but you still have to be aware as a buyer.

wannabethile
Jan-27-2009, 4:48pm
I've gotten three different mandolins on the classifieds here, and each one has been great. The folks have all be friendly with me, and I've gotten plenty of other friendly folks inquiring about any post that I've made on it. I trust it as much as if I had gone in person and bought/sold something.

bobby bill
Jan-27-2009, 4:59pm
My batting average through the classifieds is 100%. My batting average through e-bay is closer to 25% and I don't really go there any more.

Booie
Jan-27-2009, 5:05pm
I have had mostly good experiences transacting through the Cafe classifieds. The only transaction with a hitch was for a very expensive ($6,000 +) vintage mandolin, which the seller called "unmodified and original" but in fact had a repaired side crack (with back removed and overspray). The seller was great about giving me extra time to get the mando checked out, and ultimately allowed me to return it. The downsides were 1) I was out about $500 for shipping and insurance both ways, and 2) the refund was in the form of an out of state personal check (I paid with a bank cashiers check), which effectively tied up my money for weeks.
After this experience, I would not buy a very expensive mandolin unless what the seller has stated as "facts" have been certified by a third party--this would avoid honest mistakes.

Scott Tichenor
Jan-27-2009, 5:19pm
Apologies, Scott.

No need! Appreciate you helping users out.