PDA

View Full Version : my new MK dragonfly...

Jason Renzi
Jan-24-2009, 8:18pm
http://pics.livejournal.com/jasonrenzi/pic/0008f8tk

Michael Kelly Dragonfly II (although mine is a Tobacco Sunburst)

i spent the better part of the afternoon playing this instrument at acoustic vibes in tempe and i LOVED it!!!...
it has flatwound strings! which i didn't even know existed for guitars and mandolins...what a joy to play...

it's not the instrument i dream of eventually owning, but it's very very nice and is just right for my playing level...

i'll be taking possession of it in the coming week...i'm very happy!...

Jason Kessler
Jan-25-2009, 12:05pm
Congrats!

Jason Renzi
Jan-25-2009, 12:23pm
thank you!...
i know it's not much...and i probably could have got a more reliable name for the money, but i played a number of superior brands in the store and in all honesty none of them played as nicely as this one...
the model i was actually planning on buying was the Eastman 604, and it only took playing it for 30 seconds to know it was definitely not for me...

does anyone know something about Michael Kelly instruments that i should be aware of?...

Greenmando
Jan-25-2009, 7:25pm
MK's usually have thick coats. Each one was very different, some keepers. Mine had a fretboard that was cut wrong. They were usually sold with known defects when they were introduced, the defects were usually in the finish.

JEStanek
Jan-25-2009, 10:20pm
If you found a new instrument that will inspire you to play more and better, rock on. Have fun with your new mandolin when it arrives.

Jamie

Mandolusional
Jan-25-2009, 11:43pm
I have a Dragonfly III that I really enjoy playing. Even has I await a custom mandolin, I have no plans to part with my MK. Congratulations and have fun playing it!

Jason Renzi
Jan-26-2009, 12:09am
thanks jamie and mandolusional!!....
i am seriously stoked and cannot wait to pick it up this coming week...
i'll be ordering a custom as soon as i possibly can, hopefully a newell or an andersen, but until then i think i'll be very content with the two instruments i currently own...

viv
Jan-26-2009, 11:34pm
God in Heaven knows i am the queen of justification, however.....it's my belief that it doesn't matter what brand or what type of instrument you have, or what you pay for it--if it brings you joy then you'll want to play it more. the more you play it, the better player you'll become--that'll make you both happy, and i truly believe that it will come through in what you play.

dang, rattlin on like an empty ole wagon again......:redface:

Jason Renzi
Jan-27-2009, 6:59pm
picked it up today!...

http://pics.livejournal.com/jasonrenzi/pic/0008kf02

the eastman case he gave me is almost as nice as the mandolin!...

Mandolusional
Jan-28-2009, 1:34pm
Nice and congrats! However, that's not a Dragonfly II that's a III. You can tell by the inlay and tailpiece, even though the truss rod cover seems to have a "II" on it. That to me is an upgrade, enjoy playing you should have a great time with this one.

Jason Renzi
Jan-28-2009, 2:05pm
i did buy it used, so there's every possibility the truss cover was replaced...
thanks for the info!...
i do love it...
as an aside...are you the guy on youtube playing 'billie's bounce'?...

Mandolusional
Jan-28-2009, 11:58pm
It's also possible they just used an old truss rod cover or part of it scratched off, the lettering is pretty fragile as far as I can tell. I am not the one in that youtube video but he sure plays a cool Billie's Bounce, I've always liked that one.