PDA

View Full Version : Loar 600 Series Mandolin

gibson mandoman
Jan-23-2009, 11:34pm
Photos courtesy of the fine folks at Eric Schoenberg Guitars.

gibson mandoman
Jan-23-2009, 11:39pm
more photos.

gibson mandoman
Jan-23-2009, 11:59pm
I should have this mandolin in my hands in about a week. I wanted an f-style mandolin, but could not afford to add a Gibson F-5 mandolin to the collection, so I will have this "The Loar" F-5 and my Steve Carlson signed Gibson.

Michael Eck
Jan-24-2009, 1:31am
Dan,

You're going to love it. I've just changed my avatar to a picture of me with my Loar LM 600.

gibson mandoman
Jan-24-2009, 1:37pm
Thank you Michael. I am excited about receiving this mandolin. It sounded great played over the phone, which I know isn't the best way to determine a mandolin's tonal qualities, but I was willing to take a chance. Plus, I have a 48 hour approval period. I will post a review after I have spent sometime with the new "The Loar" F-5.

kirkwhitehead
Jan-24-2009, 3:29pm
I have a LM 500 with some mods and I really like it. I played an unaltered 600 and this modified 500 and bought the 500. It fits me better, although the 600 was louder. The 500 is plenty loud for me.

Also the 600 has a bigger neck profile than the 500.

I bet you'll be happy with it.

kirk

Michael Cameron
Jan-24-2009, 3:29pm
Schoenberg's is a dangerous place to shop. They are really cool guys who don't mind playing instruments over the phone etc.

They really make it EASY to buy stuff! I bought two ukuleles from them. (couldn't make up my mind which one I wanted). And,I'm glad I did!

I hear good reports about "The Loar" mandos. Hope yours is a good'un.

I have a Carlson-signed Gibson too.(Monroe #74). It has my favorite neck dimensions of any mandolin I ever had. At 16 years of age(re-fretted),it has become a most responsive and tone-full instrument.

:mandosmiley: