PDA

View Full Version : This is not a mandolin, but they are seen nearby on occasion

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-22-2009, 12:34pm
I just acquired this beauty. This is one of three known pre-war Dobros that were inspired by or possibly even ornamented by Martin. The wood, herringbone, Brazilian Rosewood and even the finish is dead on '30's Martin. Thanks for allowing me to post this Scott.

Scott Tichenor
Jan-22-2009, 12:37pm
Darryl, that's a very cool box. Thanks for sharing.

bgmando
Jan-22-2009, 1:41pm
Ditto what Scott said. Very cool. How's the sound?

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-22-2009, 2:08pm
I don't have it in hand yet. Obviously from Gruhn..his comments

mid 1930s, VG++, spruce top with herringbone edge trim, rosewood back and sides, engraved coverplate, 12-fret slot-head neck set up Spanish style, an extremely rare instrument (we have seen only two other similar ones in 45 years of collecting), exceptionally fine sound and playability, rough HC

Gail Hester
Jan-22-2009, 8:34pm
Wow! Darryl, that is stunning. Besides the fact that it looks new, I love the style and detail of the cover plate.

Patrick Bjorndal
Jan-22-2009, 9:42pm
I have a friend that is trying to get me to buy an older Dobro. Where can I find info on Dobros and the value of said intrument?

wannabethile
Jan-23-2009, 11:58am
That is amazing. way too cool. thanks for sharing, man!

Steve Davis
Jan-23-2009, 12:07pm
Nice find Darryl.

PhilTod
Jan-24-2009, 11:48pm
What a find! Where did you track down this amazing instrument?

Patrick Sylvest
Jan-25-2009, 9:57am
Wow Darryl, That's really spectacular! I wasn't aware of any solid wood pre war Dobro's....I thought they were all laminates. The one's I've seen have been anyway. Leave it to you and Gruhn to discover/prove otherwise.

Are you sure you don't wanna post this on Reso-nation.org before I do?:)
That bunch will love this!