PDA

View Full Version : Popular Jam Tunes?

ManlyMandolinist
Jan-21-2009, 10:07am
Hello everyone,

I've started going to jam sessions and I don't know many of the tunes. I'm pretty new to bluegrass and ordered a bunch of albums (based on another thread I started) however, I'd like to know what the most popular jam tunes are. I'd like to learn these first, so I'm prepared.

So what tunes come up often in jam sessions? I respectfully ask for specific tunes and not "anything by Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Flatt & Scruggs." I already know those are the popular ones, but I'd like to know their especially common tunes :)

Thanks!

adgefan
Jan-21-2009, 10:22am
The most popular tunes vary depending on where you play (and who with) so your best bet is to make a list of what gets played at the jams you attend. Some of the most played tunes at one jam may never get played at another...

Having said that, there are plenty of standard fiddle tunes that most people seem to know and even if you don't play them at jams it will still benefit you to learn a few. This could include the likes of Soldier's Joy, Angeline The Baker, Salt Creek, Red Haired Boy and Blackberry Blossom, but really the list is endless.

Good luck!

John Flynn
Jan-21-2009, 10:42am
Some jam leaders have lists of commonly played tunes for that jam. If that is not the case at a given jam, almost always one of the "regulars" at the jam will have his or her own list that they might be willing to share.

John Ritchhart
Jan-21-2009, 10:59am
Go to http://drbanjo.com/ and look at Pete Wernick's site. There's lots there about jamming, etiquette, tunes, lyrics, etc. He lists two chord songs, three chord songs, and popular songs that lend themselves to bluegrass arrangements. Hope it helps.

Mattg
Jan-21-2009, 11:09am
Search on this subject. It's come up before. Go to jams, take notes, record, whatever. You will develop a list that makes sense in your area.

Jack Roberts
Jan-21-2009, 3:59pm
I think the popular tunes differ from region to region and jam to jam, with a lot depending on who the dominant players in the area are. I've been to one jam where they actually print a book of chords so people can play along who don't know the tunes, but not all the tunes in the book are played.

The first BG jam I went to (when I was even a worse player than I am now) I took a pencil and wrote down the names of the tunes and keys for everything that was played. For the most part I just watched the guitar player for cues on what chords to play when, and did not take any breaks at all. But I had my list of what was played, and went back and learned some of those. Next time I went I could take a couple of breaks.

Best way to do it IMHO.

GVD
Jan-22-2009, 2:38pm
I think the popular tunes differ from region to region and jam to jam, with a lot depending on who the dominant players in the area are.

That's exactly right and why it won't do you a lot of good to find out what's played in other places. You'll find out what's most likely to be played at your local jam by going to your local jam.

GVD

AlanN
Jan-22-2009, 3:36pm
And, some tunes have lost their timeliness, ain't hip to pick no more. Like Crazy Creek and Snowball, 2 tunes that are now passe, it seems. Try to even find folks who know how they go.

"Nobody eats at Linebaugh's anymore"

RIP, John Hartford.

charlesgwilsonjr
Jan-25-2009, 11:37am
The list of good fiddle tunes is endless but a safe bet is to start off with ones that the most people would know: like Old Joe Clark, Soldiers Joy. After that try to learn the ones that sink down deep into your head, when you find yourself whistling them while your driving down the road. Chuck

BBarr
Jan-26-2009, 2:39pm
Go to http://drbanjo.com/ and look at Pete Wernick's site. There's lots there about jamming, etiquette, tunes, lyrics, etc. He lists two chord songs, three chord songs, and popular songs that lend themselves to bluegrass arrangements. Hope it helps.

Good Advice JbrWky,

I found this list there:

http://www.drbanjo.com/instructional-jamsessiontop106.php

I have a pretty solid repertoire of Irish/Scottish Trad but want to get up to speed on the traditional Bluegrass tunes. The list I linked to will be a pretty good start for me.

I particulary like Dr. Banjo's advice for playing along in a Jam and understanding the way tunes get played (Chorus-Verse-Break, etc.) This really explained to me alot that I had witnessed but never put together. Irish is played so much more simplistically by comparison (2xA Part, 2xB Part, repeat).

Cheers!