PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley on Youtube

Billy1
Jan-20-2009, 6:38pm
Just found this on Youtube. Love Bill's break on this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJBRxFgamwA&feature=related

TEE
Jan-20-2009, 8:23pm
Is that his Alvarez?

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-21-2009, 3:01am
That's a super clip.Two of the finest 'high tenor' voices ever in Bluegrass music. I couldn't really make out what the Mandolin make was,but it sounded as much like his famous Loar as any other Mandolin i've heard - maybe it's just Bill Monroe's 'style' that i'm hearing more than the 'tone' of the Mandolin,
Saska

AlanN
Jan-21-2009, 7:03am
Yep.

And let me just say, that vocal pairing/sound is either:

- Get me the heck out of here, or

- It don't get much better than that

(depending on what floats your boat) :grin:

mdlorenz
Jan-21-2009, 8:20am
it dont' get much better then that :)

swampstomper
Jan-21-2009, 8:43am
Wow, what a nice version! Ralph slows it down and simplifies the melody, and puts some of his signature "constant sorrow" vocal licks in. "A million times I've loved you, Bess...."

And as noted, quite a signature mando break!

Matteo
Jan-22-2009, 4:05pm
Two of the greatest tenor singers ever on this earth.
I heard stories on how the Stanley Brothers would play a show at some music park (New River Ranch, Sunset Park...) and Bill Monroe would be there, they'd get together backstage and sing some of the old ones...that would be a dream to hear! BTW on the video, I totally agree with you, love Bill's break!
Matt.

Bernie Daniel
Jan-22-2009, 10:32pm
Yes wonderful. Thanks for posting that -- there is a series of those on YouTube.

Loved the camera work for back stage then from out front.

The notes say the video is a conversion from an '80's VHS tape -- accounts for the wavey images.

I really cannot be certain but didn't the mandolin look like a Fern?

Heart stopping vocals and classic Monroe break -- there simply is no substitute for the original.

Mike Bromley
Jan-22-2009, 10:53pm
I love how Mon resolves his solos.....!

F5GRun
Jan-22-2009, 11:06pm
I love Big Mon's chops....as in his side burns. :mandosmiley:

Mike Bunting
Jan-23-2009, 12:02am
I love how Mon resolves his solos.....!

And I love how he kicks them off, man, do you ever know that a solo is coming! (The middle of his solos are pretty cool too!).

Bernie Daniel
Jan-23-2009, 5:32am
Since we are on the subject. Here is another one of Monroe from the same era -- this one is listed as being performed in 1981 and its with the BG boys.

In this video he clearly has his Loar. I suppose that is what he was playing in the previous video too (OP) from Austin City Limits -- the distortion in the images of that one did not allow a certain identification.

Here is Goodbye Old Pal -- not really a bluegrss original tune but I enjoy his yodeling. (sorry Dr. Stanley you were part of the original discussion)

-A2tO7e6gTY&NR=1

earthsave
Jan-23-2009, 10:45am
Definitely not his Loar in the Ralph Stanley clip. It has a pickguard, is nearly new looking, and the sound is a bit thin on the bass end, but it's YouTube so sound is hard to call.

Hey that's Butch Robins.

cooper4205
Jan-23-2009, 11:54am
I really cannot be certain but didn't the mandolin look like a Fern?

That's what it looked like to me, maybe it was Ralph Rinzler's (Mon was known to use it from time to time, mostly in "Get Up John" tuning from what I understand).

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/images/83233_top.jpg

evanreilly
Jan-24-2009, 12:04pm
I would contend that "Goodbye Old Pal" was a tune that Bill 'owned' in that he performed it a great deal. It is not, as I mistakenly thought for a long time, a Jimmie Rodgers song, but I think written by Charlie Collins. Monroe called it an 'old Texas number'.
As far as the mandolin Bill is using in the Bill & Ralph clip, possibly Bill is using Charlie Derrington's mandolin that he used when his (#73987) was being repaired.

ralph johansson
Jan-29-2009, 8:40am
I would contend that "Goodbye Old Pal" was a tune that Bill 'owned' in that he performed it a great deal. It is not, as I mistakenly thought for a long time, a Jimmie Rodgers song, but I think written by Charlie Collins. Monroe called it an 'old Texas number'.
As far as the mandolin Bill is using in the Bill & Ralph clip, possibly Bill is using Charlie Derrington's mandolin that he used when his (#73987) was being repaired.

monroe bought it from cliff carlisle.

evanreilly
Jan-30-2009, 10:10am
Thanks Ralph; I knew it was a name with the initials 'CC'.