PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the surfpick

Dfyngravity
Jan-20-2009, 2:17pm
Here is the link http://surfpick.com/. Has anyone tried these? Sorry if this is a duplicate thread.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-20-2009, 2:29pm
I don't think I've ever seen a thread that discussed these picks. It should be noted however that these can't be shipped outside the US by the manufacturer because Lignum Vitae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae) is listed in Appendix II of CITES as potentially endangered species. I'm assuming it's legal to sell them inside the US. If anyone knows otherwise let me know.

bjc
Jan-22-2009, 11:57am
They look intersting.:cool:

Phil Goodson
Jan-22-2009, 12:49pm
Since I've got this brain defect called insatiable curiosity, I ordered one of these puppies a few days ago. When it arrives, I'll report in.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-22-2009, 12:52pm
Since I've got this brain defect called insatiable curiosity, I ordered one of these puppies a few days ago. When it arrives, I'll report in.

Phil takes one for the club :)

Jim Broyles
Jan-22-2009, 12:56pm
I have one. Meh! It's a wood pick.

Dfyngravity
Jan-23-2009, 8:02am
I ordered mine a few days ago too, I shall do some extensive testing once it arrives.

fredfrank
Jan-23-2009, 8:30am
I'm guessing it would be a dark sounding pick, based on what I read on their website. I's primarily designed for electric instruments, and never saw any reference to mandolins, nor were there any sound clips of acoustic instruments. Of course, that's just a theory based on never having tried one. I know, pretty scientific.

I wonder if you can hang ten with it?

MikeEdgerton
Jan-23-2009, 8:46am
...I wonder if you can hang ten with it?

Gnarly question dude. :cool:

Dfyngravity
Jan-23-2009, 12:52pm
I ordered the "mandolin style" pick that is offered on the website. I know that they seem to target electric instruments, but I figured I would give it a test drive. I play electric guitar and mandolin too, so I figured it would be worth it.

Dfyngravity
Jan-23-2009, 8:24pm
Got my pick today. Well, it is definitely a really nice pick. It is really fast too, in fact my left hand needs to do some training now to keep up with the right now. The tone is nice and bright and it is fairly loud even though it is the mandolin style with rounded corners. It sounds great on the flattop guitar too. Chords are nice and silky smooth. Getting ready to go electric and see the difference.

Overall, it is a very smooth and fast pick. Is it worth every penny? Well, maybe....I guess it depends. I do like it, but I am going to have to keep putting it through the works and maybe after a few days I will see what pick I reach for.

Phil Goodson
Jan-24-2009, 4:33pm
Got mine too.

To get any tone out of it, I had to do my usual work with a file to put a "speed bevel" on the pick.
(I admit that I had to do the same with my V-Pick.)
It definitely feels harder than ebony or buffalo horn picks I've tried.

My impression: Good tone. Feels okay. Not as slick and fast off the strings as BlueChip. More pick noise on the strings also, even after careful polishing. Or at least the pick noise SOUNDS louder to me, perhaps because it's higher pitched.
Doesn't stick to the skin of the fingers like the BC & the V-Picks do, so easier for me to drop.

Bottom Line: Nice enough around the house. I'd be uncomfortable worrying about it slipping out of my fingers if I played out with it. Fairly good value. Never will be my favorite.

Ra_
Jan-27-2009, 11:42am
Hi All,

Pardon me if I'm intruding but I am the manufacturer of the Surfpick. I saw this thread in my tracking software and I would just like to make myself available if anyone has any questions.

Jim, if your Surfpick doesn't suit you, you are welcome to return it at any time for a full refund.

Phil, it takes quite a bit of extended polishing and buffing to restore Lignum Vitae to a fine polish after it has been sanded. I sometimes include a little sanding pad with 600 & 3000 grit for people who I think might wish to adjust their tips or bevel but even the 3000 grit doesn't polish it up quite the way I can in my shop. I offer custom beveling at no extra charge on all picks except for the El Cheapos, which are currently discontinued anyway. My default bevel has a slight radius on the edge, similar to how a fretboard is radiused. I can also provide a rounded bevel, which I agree is better for speed but perhaps offers less dynamic control. A third option is a contoured pick that comes to a single point at the edge. Vernon Reid uses this type of bevel.
Feel free to swap your El Cheapos for a more finely polished Standard or Bullet Pick, or upgrade to the Mandolin pick, or just get a refund, if desired.

Dfyngravity, glad to hear that you're enjoying your Surfpick.

I would say that my biggest shortcoming may be how my picks constantly vary in size. I often modify my designs and the picks are also influenced by the uniqueness of each batch of blanks that I prepare.
I urge anyone to specify the exact dimensions and shape that they want and I will do my best to comply.

Dfyngravity
Jan-27-2009, 1:30pm
Ra I am glad to see you have found your way to the mandolin cafe message board.

I have used your included sandpaper and my girlfriends nail polishing pad to do some fine adjustments. The pick it actually getting better by the day, it is starting to finely adjust with my playing.

I will be honest, it is not my overall favorite pick, but I am finding myself using it more and more often. I really like it on my Electric Guitar, but it is great on everything.

What is it that you dip on your other picks(slip resistant material)?

Phil Goodson
Jan-27-2009, 8:07pm
Ra_ ,

Thanks for your comments. You are very generous.
No thanks, I won't trade in my Surfpicks. I actually like them. As they burnish with use, the slight increase in pick noise may decrease; it's not a big deal even now.
The hardness of the L. vitae is pretty amazing and I like the tone. I'll keep them in the arsenal.

I think that a surfpick shaped & sized like the TAD bluechip would be nice.

Thanks again,

Ra_
Jan-28-2009, 12:47am
What is it that you dip on your other picks(slip resistant material)?

The stuff I use on what I call my Bullet Picks is a product called 'Plasti-Dip'. It's available at Lowes and Home Depot.
You can try putting some on other picks that you like.
You might find though that the polished Lignum Vitae grip is even better than the rubber, once it is warmed up by your fingers.
I had an unusual request today for some picks with the rubber applied to the pointy end of the pick. I call them Bizarro Bullet Picks.

http://surfpick.com/pics/bizarro.jpg

I've also had people request round picks that offered a similar playing tip.

Ra_ , I think that a surfpick shaped & sized like the TAD bluechip would be nice.

I see that the TAD is simply a slightly oversized tricorner. As I mentioned, buyers are welcome to include desired custom specifications with their orders.
I have made picks for a number of people with various disabilities and in most cases these are extremely oversized picks. I just made one for a person with no thumb that was an oversized tricorner with a hole and a rubber grip. I also noticed, when trying to hold a pick without my thumb, that the tip pointed upward more than normal, reducing the ability to turn the wrist on the stroke, so I made him a curved pick with the tip pointing downward.

I forgot to mention something about the grip factor that you mentioned earlier. People report that after the Surfpick has warmed to their fingers, it tends to grip to their skin much better. An unusual quality of the Lignum Vitae, is that instead of becoming slippery when a player sweats, like most picks do, sweat or other moisture seems to greatly increase the gripability of the LV. I sometimes lick my finger, when I don't want to wait for my body heat to warm up the pick. Give it a try.

Phil Goodson
Jan-28-2009, 10:59pm
Thanks Ra_

I'll try the body heat method & see if it's less slippery.

About the Tricorners, I don't see on your website what the thickness of the Tricorner is.

And is the Bass Pick larger than the TAD?? Hard to tell in the picture. Do you have edge measurements of Bass & Tricorner?

Ra_
Jan-29-2009, 5:54am
Thanks Ra_

About the Tricorners, I don't see on your website what the thickness of the Tricorner is.

And is the Bass Pick larger than the TAD?? Hard to tell in the picture. Do you have edge measurements of Bass & Tricorner?

There is no set size Phil. Surfpicks are always changing.
People are encouraged to specify desired dimensions when ordering.
Prices are based mostly on difficulty of manufacture.
The little Jazz Stubby is hard to hold onto through all the stages of sanding and polishing,
so it costs more than the Standard. The Tricorner picks cost more because they start with larger blanks and it takes more wood and more time to try and get all 3 points somewhat symmetrical.

The default thickness is about 2mm. I can take it down to about 1.7 on the Jazz Stubby, if requested, because that small pick offers less leverage for aggressive strumming.

Anything thicker than 2mm can be requested on any pick, 2.5mm, 3mm, 3.5mm, 4mm
The El Cheapos were probably a little thicker than 2mm, I believe?

marcodamusician
Oct-18-2013, 9:50pm
I have and use surf picks and basically haven't used any others since I purchased them. They do create a warmth that isn't available with plastic picks. As a result my guitar playing actually sounds warmer and better then it is. I have even had people asking me about my picks and I always point them to Ra. He makes a quality product and I'm thankful to have found his product.

Paul Busman
Oct-19-2013, 7:32am
Ra_ Have you tried Argentinian Lignum Vitae? It's not a true Lignum, but it does have most of the characteristics of the real thing and as far as I know it's legal for export. It has a nice lemony scent too which really lasts. I made a wooden penny whistle from this wood a year ago and it still smells terrific. Doesn't sound bad either.

marcodamusician
Oct-19-2013, 8:07am
I haven't Paul. I doubt anyone is making picks out of the Argentinian Lignum because it would have to be imported.

Just fyi, has anyone see this great comparison between surfpicks and plastic guitar picks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Wv1l9NaKh4

Bill Lemerise
Oct-19-2013, 9:13am
Ordered a pair today. Cab't wait to see how they stand up to the weggans.

marcodamusician
Oct-19-2013, 12:38pm
Bill, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Did you order the Mandolin picks?

Elliot Luber
Oct-19-2013, 12:58pm
Your pet mouse might be able to surf with it

Paul Busman
Oct-21-2013, 4:26pm
I haven't Paul. I doubt anyone is making picks out of the Argentinian Lignum because it would have to be imported.

I got my Argentinian Lignum (as well as many other wonderful timbers) from this source:

http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/order_Argentine_lignum_vitae.htm
I'm not sure what size wood you start with but these people are great to work with and can probably help you.

marcodamusician
Oct-21-2013, 5:12pm
Paul, I'm good thanks. The one goal I don't aspire to is making my own guitar picks. :)

Paul Busman
Oct-22-2013, 6:18pm
Oops- my mistake. I lost track and thought I was answering the Surf Picks maker.