PDA

View Full Version : BUSH vs modifided J74s

Ken Olmstead
Jan-18-2009, 1:15pm
I was going to post this comment in Kevin Briggs "One year Fern comparison" thread but I decided to try and keep that thread focused on the comparison that he did and post the string comment here instead.

I have been using BUSH strings for about 8 months now and the other day, I threw on an odd set that I had laying around to use them up. They were a set of J74's with 41 G strings substituted for the 40s. I picked them up awhile ago from a friend. WOW! Amazing difference, the high register notes just came alive and with the 41 in the bass, I was not missing the low end grunt of the BUSH strings! They don't last very long (feels like about 10 minutes compared to the BUSH set. I have high hopes for the next generation of EXPs) but I just can't sacrifice that much sound on the high end!

Obviously, the J74s tickle the high end very nicely on my Weber Fern and it wants a little heavier bass string to drive the top (the BUSH set has 41s in the bass as well.) Unfortunately, d'addario does not package them that way and J75s are too manly for me as a set. I guess, Bill Monroe's will have to be tried out next as they have that exact combination!

Michael Cameron
Jan-18-2009, 1:51pm
An...ti....cip...a...tion....of the new and improved EXPs !

Ted E. mentioned them in his report from NAMM. Hope he got a bunch of them to make available to the masses.

~:>

DannyB
Jan-18-2009, 3:40pm
I switched to the Bill Monroes and won't be changing back....They make a big difference and my mandolin loves them!!

mandroid
Jan-18-2009, 3:46pm
Gibson ML 161 [sam bush] are Monel wrapped , I have gotten a long life from them ,
because the Monel alloy will not tarnish.

man dough nollij
Jan-18-2009, 6:59pm
I put the S. Bush strings on my Gallatin when I got back to the states. The bass sounds good, but the highs sound muted. It's been such a long time since I have played or heard it, I wasn't sure if it was the strings that were causing the quiet high strings. I guess I'll have to switch back to the bronze strings I was using before to hear the difference. :mandosmiley:

Rob Powell
Jan-18-2009, 8:01pm
The Monels overall have less sustain, they're designed that way. They still sound bright to me on the Yellowstone. PB just sounds too bright to me until I've made them dead ;)

Ken Olmstead
Jan-18-2009, 8:06pm
Yeah, this is just one of those things. Each mandolin is different and what your ear wants to hear at the time. I bet after I play these for a while, I will put the BUSH back on (still have a few sets) and it will be like another mandolin, and I will back on blabbing about how much I like BUSH strings again!! :)) It could be that I played the BUSHs dead. They have not been on that long but it happens that way sometimes.

Sean Greer
Jan-18-2009, 10:56pm
I switched to the Bill Monroes and won't be changing back....They make a big difference and my mandolin loves them!!

Interesting. I just picked up some of the Monroes, but I haven't put them on the mando yet. Glad to hear that you like them, and I'm keen to give them a run.

DannyB
Jan-19-2009, 8:05am
I think each mando reacts to the strings and setup differently. I tried many different sets including the Bush strings, I liked the monels but with the bush strings the E and A were too light guage for me. Sean, after you try them I'd be curious as to your opinion.

Sean Greer
Jan-19-2009, 12:42pm
I tried many different sets including the Bush strings, I liked the monels but with the bush strings the E and A were too light guage for me. Sean, after you try them I'd be curious as to your opinion.

It's funny, but I have the opposite reservation: I'm concerned about the impact of the larger A and E! :) I recall putting some J75s on and I felt they were just too heavy for my playing style. Anyway, I'm still going to try the Monroes as there's only one way to find the right strings for you and your mando - give 'em all a try. I'll definitely try to remember to post a follow-up response.

man dough nollij
Jan-19-2009, 6:21pm
I think each mando reacts to the strings and setup differently. I tried many different sets including the Bush strings, I liked the monels but with the bush strings the E and A were too light guage for me. Sean, after you try them I'd be curious as to your opinion.

The E on the Bushes is 0.011, isn't it? Isn't that about as big as they get?

Sean Greer
Jan-19-2009, 7:15pm
The E on the Bushes is 0.011, isn't it? Isn't that about as big as they get?

They are .011 on the Bush set, while the J75s use a .0115. The bigger change for me is the Bush set uses a .014 A, while the J75s have a .016. To me that A string feels huge and very tight. Hopefully the Monroes will feel better with a .015 A string.