PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Elderly

Steve Ostrander
Jan-16-2009, 3:37pm
I'm really lucky to live so near Elderly and all those mandolins (and guitars, fiddles, etc.) Talk about a kid in a candy store! :mandosmiley:

They have several F2s and F4s right now, and an A4 blacktop. I played an older Dearstone that, although not mint condition, sounded great to my ear-- exc. volume and chop on that one.

I played a Kegley that sounded pretty good, but the fit and finish was awful.
I also played a Gibson Wayne Benson model, and a couple of Takeshis, Grady, Ratliff, Nat'l reso mando, L&H, and a Duff mandola.

Hats off to Elderly for letting their customers take 'em off the wall and flail away.

Ravenwood
Jan-16-2009, 7:08pm
I think I live at a safer distance. Close enough to get there when I need to, but not so close as to get myself in trouble. :mandosmiley:

craig.collas
Jan-16-2009, 7:43pm
I could start by saying in recent discussions with the minister for finance. Isnt it funny that in playing different instruments my ear hears different situations where that sound would be just it. This makes me somewhat suseptable to MAS.
All the best for the new year
Craig+

R. Kane
Jan-16-2009, 7:58pm
Did you play either of the Ellis mandolins?

Michael Cameron
Jan-16-2009, 8:19pm
I'm really lucky to live so near Elderly and all those mandolins (and guitars, fiddles, etc.) Talk about a kid in a candy store! :mandosmiley:
They have several F2s and F4s right now, and an A4 blacktop. I played an older Dearstone that, although not mint condition, sounded great to my ear-- exc. volume and chop on that one.
I also played a Gibson Wayne Benson model, and a couple of Takeshis, Grady, Ratliff, Nat'l reso mando, L&H, and a Duff mandola.
Hats off to Elderly for letting their customers take 'em off the wall and flail away.

You are lucky to live so close to Elderly(and maybe cursed at the same time). (?)

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit "The Elderly" in 1996,while on my way to Big Rapids and The Guitar Hospital to learn from Bryan Galloup.

It was good to be able to play all the great instruments;and,also, a bit of an overload for me (from the Georgia boonies).

I would be most interested in hearing your thoughts on the Wayne Benson Gibson. Did you play the T-model Takeshis ! ? What were they like ?

I like the looks of the Takeshi,T-Models.(Batwings) !

Regards,
Mike

Miked
Jan-16-2009, 8:37pm
I'm about 45 minutes from Elderly and it is always a treat to go to the candy store!

KirkwoodCowboy
Jan-17-2009, 11:16am
So what did you think of that Duff mandola? I've been thinkin i need to drive up there & try it. How did it play? Did it have a low Rumble?

Steve Ostrander
Jan-17-2009, 4:39pm
R. Cane: I didn't play either of the Ellis. In fact I didn't see them or I probably would have!

Michael Cameron: I thought the Wayne Benson was pretty good, but I still kept going back to that Dearstone. The Takeshis were the Acoustic World models, an A and an F. I was not that impressed with them, other than the craftsmanship was good.

Mikie tlizzie: I thought the Duff 'dola sounded great, but I haven't played that many 'dolas, the only other was an MK and the Duff was definetly better.

Sean Greer
Feb-27-2009, 3:19pm

Did you happen to flail on the Duff F-5 that they have listed on their web site? Nice looking mando and causing some major MAS.

Jimmy Kittle
Feb-27-2009, 9:38pm
I played the Duff, the Collings, the Dearstone, and about all the Gibsons, but the best mandolin in the store was a Stiver F. It was awesome...