PDA

View Full Version : My friend and his new Gibson...

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jan-15-2009, 9:10am
My friend from work dabbles in mandolin and decided he would buy himself
a 2006 master model for 27,000 green ones. To me it seems a little
over priced with a 3 inch long milometer deep buckle scratch on the back.
It has a poorly replaced upper rim point, looks like glued in white
plastic and it doesnt match the other point which I think is bone or ivoriod.
Sound and volume wise its big. He let me take it to a jam and I played
sugar loaf mountain to find it makes a fine banjo sound like an old no
back! I'm just wondering if I should tell him to refund the mandolin or
have it repaired.

Opinions please.... :whistling: ....

carleshicks
Jan-15-2009, 9:12am
That price seems about doulbe what it should be are you sure that itis not a Distressed Master Model

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jan-15-2009, 9:13am
not a destressed just a run of the mill master model.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2009, 9:14am
If he's happy with it what you think really shouldn't matter much.

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jan-15-2009, 9:17am
I never really brought it to his attention Mike. He was the first to
start rattling over the price and condition.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2009, 9:19am
Well, then he's not happy with it. He needs to figure out how to undo what he's done. Taking a plunge for 27 grand when you dabble in something doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He needs to become an educated consumer.

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jan-15-2009, 9:26am
I know I just thought I'd reach for some feedback from others that may
have had the same experiance

Tim2723
Jan-15-2009, 9:36am
If he's unhappy with it then that's the key. Personally, that's why I would never own a $27,000 instrument. I'd be terrified scratching it, and I'm the proverbial sucker that's born every minute when it comes to getting my money's worth.

sgarrity
Jan-15-2009, 9:43am
$27k for a 2006 Master Model??? That's just outrageous. I don't care if it was blessed by the Big Mon hisself! ;-)

atetone
Jan-15-2009, 9:46am
$27,000 for a 2006 Master Model !
That is just the silliest thing I have ever heard of in my mando-experience.
Why would someone do that?
If he can still return it for refund he should run not walk and get it done.
Sounds to me like this guy is his own worst enemy.
I hate to even hear about nonsense like that.

Tim2723
Jan-15-2009, 9:53am
Just for refference, what should a 2006 Master Model with a big scratch and a bad repair sell for?

Tom C
Jan-15-2009, 9:53am
13K for 2008 in classifieds right now.

Tim2723
Jan-15-2009, 9:58am
OK, so why would someone put a big scratch and a bad repair on a $13,000 mandolin?

Elliot Luber
Jan-15-2009, 10:19am
Sounds like the $27k was disposable income, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lesson learned. Of course if his kids are running around without winter coats that's another story.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-15-2009, 10:44am
Yes, he certainly got the bad end of that deal.

That's even too late for a Derrinfton signed MM, isn't it? Even if it was signed by Derrington, that's a bit premature on the appreciation.

honestly, I'd be ticked about getting ripped off, and I'd try to get it back to the seller somehow. Then, your friend could go and buy the one in the classifieds for half the price. He could get a nice beater with the left over money, and then go and buy a car or put it towards his house or something.

Steve Ostrander
Jan-15-2009, 10:59am
27k for a MM? I've got a couple of mandos he might be interested in...

carleshicks
Jan-15-2009, 11:02am
If he paid 27K then he didn't do any research or he is just blowing smoke and inflating the price to sound cool. If he wants I have a 2002 with no scratches and both origanl point protecters that I will sell him for $26,999. JK. To be honest with you I think the price is fishy. If the price was 27, then why did he take it with the repairs done to it. even 17,000 is too High if it was new. I am curious.

Chris Biorkman
Jan-15-2009, 11:30am
Tell your friend I have a bridge I'd like to sell him.

Big Joe
Jan-15-2009, 11:40am
I think the date and the serial number should be checked. I don't recall 2006 MM's being shipped. The points on the MM and DMM are fossil ivory and not plastic or bone. If he bought it with a scratch on the back that is his problem no matter what he paid. I have an artist owned MM from 03 in the shop that is Derrington signed for 14K and it has some provenance with it. 27K was the list price for the DMM but I've not heard of a regular MM selling for that.

Again, I would be interested in the labels and who signed it and the date and serial number. That will tell a lot.

Keith Erickson
Jan-15-2009, 11:45am
Tell your friend I have a bridge I'd like to sell him.

I knew that it was just a matter of time when that line would have made an appearance here :))

Ken Olmstead
Jan-15-2009, 11:46am
Well...I did say in another thread that you don't have to justify your price, just get it! God Bless America!!

Still that set of facts does rub one the wrong way! I can only imagine that your friend has the money to spare. I just can't imagine anyone being reckless with that amount of cash unless they had plenty. Obviously, if he can undo the deal, he should. Then you could both fly to Nashville on his dime, take David Harvey to lunch, tell him exactly what you want and it will probably even get a rush on it! Then at least there will be some photos and favorable memories for the additional cash!

Then there is the idea of a Derrington signed MM that many believe will appreciate very well over time and he could take his family on a European vacation!

Chris Biorkman
Jan-15-2009, 12:09pm
I knew that it was just a matter of time when that line would have made an appearance here :))

I'm nothing if not predictable.

RichM
Jan-15-2009, 12:42pm
The thing that gets me is that someone could make a $27K purchase without at least a little research. I mean, it would have taken five minutes to call Gibson and get some history on the mando. And a simple Google search would bring up selling prices on MM currently on offer. I don't imagine I'll ever be wealthy enough to part with that much money so cavalierly (or on something that I can't drive around in).

jimbob
Jan-15-2009, 1:00pm
I would almost bet that the friend is pulling your leg on what he paid in the first place. If he really did pay that much, I have a whole bunch of neat stuff I would like to sell him !!!

pager
Jan-15-2009, 1:05pm
27k spent on an MM in this economy is just ... :mad:

GVD
Jan-15-2009, 1:09pm
I would almost bet that the friend is pulling your leg on what he paid in the first place. If he really did pay that much, I have a whole bunch of neat stuff I would like to sell him !!!

Exactly! And furthermore I have a hard time believing anyone that ignorant would have 27 large in the first place.

GVD

JEStanek
Jan-15-2009, 1:22pm
Better him than me. Also, no need to get upset over what someone else spends their cash on. Especially if we don't know the whole story. If his friend did spend that much, that's a shame and I would hope he can return it. If this is a picking tale, its a funny one. Look at all the reaction!

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2009, 1:39pm
OK, I feel the need to step in. The person in question did buy the mandolin at the price stated, he bought it in a situation where he can't return it. He was an uninformed buyer with disposable income that made a mistake to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Anybody that never made a mistake buying anything can stand up and wave. I may not have made the same dollar mistake that this person did but I've made my share of mistakes. The individual is talking to the folks at Gibson about getting the mandolin's cosmetic and setup issues resolved. The OP was looking for suggestions, he got one early on via PM and is following it.

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jan-15-2009, 6:19pm
Alright folks now it seems the man that sold my friend his mandolin is a real human being
with sense. He decided to return within this week 15,000 to my friend after I talked
to him about what I knew with gibson mandolins and after I talked about the many repairs
it needed. He thought his mandolin simply had more value. He really had no idea at all!
somebody even told him it looked like a loar!! Thats probably where he got the mixed
ideas of resale he was very nice and even gave me his address so no worries for now.
I think my pal Ray just might take her down to gibson for a check up this coming week.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2009, 6:22pm
That's good news. Glad to hear it's working out.

Bluegrass Boy
Jan-15-2009, 6:59pm
Sheesh, I wish I had more dollars than sense.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2009, 7:10pm
I wish I'd been born rich instead of so darned good looking myself.

45ACP-GDLF5
Jan-15-2009, 7:22pm
:whistling:

JEStanek
Jan-15-2009, 7:40pm
Well this is wonderful news. Kudos to the seller and good luck for the buyer.

Jamie

PS. I don't know whats worse, having to decide which beater Loar to take out on my yacht or which women I'll have to turn away. I think I missed my meds this morning.

Scott Tichenor
Jan-15-2009, 8:09pm
This kind of cutting edge entertainment is why I continue to operate this web site. We don't make this stuff up. It writes itself!

:))

Rob Powell
Jan-15-2009, 8:13pm
This kind of cutting edge entertainment is why I continue to operate this web site.

:))

It's what this :popcorn: icon was made for :grin:

Andrew B. Carlson
Jan-15-2009, 8:40pm
Could we possible see some pics of this (now) infamous Gibson? It's quite the story. I would say that the story itself almost makes the instrument worth more. That is if he keeps it for awhile. I don't really have any good stories with mine. Just ordered it, then it arrived.......

MikeEdgerton
Jan-15-2009, 10:07pm
... Just ordered it, then it arrived.......

The delivery guy wasn't an axe murderer or anything? :)

pickinNgrinnin
Jan-15-2009, 10:29pm
Unreal...

Keith Erickson
Jan-15-2009, 10:40pm
For the record....

....studies have shown that Cheerios reduces your cholesterol by 4% percent over 6 week period..............

.....and this was a great Cheerios thread :popcorn:

Thanks ;)

f5loar
Jan-15-2009, 10:59pm
Are you sure this guy didn't just buy a used Cadillac DTS and found the MM in the trunk? Something rotten in Demark as they say. A fool and there money are soon parted. I've heard of people so far backwards they can't see forwards but this takes the cake on ultimate studpidity. Having money is no excuss for this. Any mandolin picker would have more sense then this. Now if this were the story of a banjo picker I could understand it.

LVH
Jan-15-2009, 11:21pm
Yes, we all understand he made a mistake. We all do, some bigger than others. He is getting 15000 back. They were both Clueless. The buyer and the seller. But it was worked out. no need to make anymore remarks on the decision

allenhopkins
Jan-16-2009, 12:13am
Where's Robin Leach when we need him? Lifestyles of the rich and famous...I could no more pull $27K out of my pocket to buy something on a whim, than I could flap my arms and fly to Monaco. People think I have a lot of decent instruments -- and I do -- but I acquired them piecemeal, a few hundred dollars at a time, sometimes haggling, sometimes lucking into a fortuitous find (Martin Simpson's Sobell trade-in, e.g.).

I'm sincerely glad for the unfortunate MM buyer, and I'm deeply admiring of the person who sold it to him, and did the right thing by renegotiating the transaction. But on the other hand, to me it's like peeking into Gatsby's world, where having $27K to mis-spend is truly no huge deal. It would take me years to accumulate that kind of disposable funds, and I'd agonize for weeks or months over spending it on any particular instrument. I'm getting all jumpy over laying out $800 for a cello banjo. Now I can emphasize with those recurrent posters who seek advice on the best $200 mandolin (if there is such a thing), because that's what they can spend.

mandozilla
Jan-24-2009, 1:37pm
I hope the buyer has learned some good lessons here. He's very lucky that he was dealing with an honest man. The seller could have easily decided not to cut him a partial refund and keep the whole enchilada for himself. :grin:

jimbob
Jan-24-2009, 6:39pm
If I were your friend, I would be playing the Lottery HARD right now ! His luck is running strong !

MikeEdgerton
Jan-24-2009, 6:41pm
If I were your friend, I would be playing the Lottery HARD right now ! His luck is running strong !

That would be assuming the guy sent the money back.

Chris Wofford
Jan-24-2009, 10:46pm
So, do you document this story in the CaseNotes or leave it out?

John Malayter
Jan-24-2009, 11:10pm
Wait a minute, you mean some guy SOLD a mm, meaning he owned it, meaning he bought it from somebody, Right?

Then he sold it to your friend, for $27K.

Your friend actually PAID $27K on a whim..............holy cow!

Then when confronted, the first owner is WILLING to give $15K back to your friend.....What???

Sounds like both these guy's work on Wall Street..............and reading this story thats not such a surprise.......

woodwizard
Jan-24-2009, 11:42pm
Wonder what the seller paid for it? Bet it wasn't even close to 27K. Glad he's going to give 15K back but it seems to me a little fishy on the sellers part in this. He had to know it wasn't worth that much. Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a case of a couple of uneducated peoples knowledge about mandolins. I wish him luck. (the buyer)

Links
Jan-25-2009, 5:47pm
Hold on guys! I'm not ready to pat anyone on the back!

If the owner and the buyer did not know what they had (other than a label that anyone can fake) or how much it was worth, who is to say that the buyer still did not get stiffed - especially since it is obviously in need of repairs. $12,000 for a MM (if that is actually what it is) with a big scratch and damaged point may not be worth 12K to me or any informed buyer. Also with the number of fakes that have been made over the years, I think if I was the buyer, I would have the mandolin examined. It may not be unlawful to sell someone something for more than it is worth, but it is sure as heck illegal to mis-represent an item.

I think there are still some questions and the whole ordeal does not seem to make sense!

Nolan
Jan-26-2009, 11:27am
Or maybe it really was a Loar and he just got the deal of a lifetime?