PDA

View Full Version : Q about using half a Pbass

Schlegel
Jan-14-2009, 7:31pm
Does it matter which half you use? Or are both usable?

CajunPicker
Jan-14-2009, 7:40pm
Huh?

Schlegel
Jan-14-2009, 7:50pm
Sorry, typing while sleeping, I guess. The pickup, I mean. They come as a pair, wired together. One of them will fit in a Mandobird.

McMandolin
Jan-14-2009, 8:08pm
Why not use them both. Don't stagger them like a Pbass set up.Stack them straight so you get two buttons under each string.::::

OzMando
Jan-14-2009, 9:41pm
Yes, I've wondered why people don't do that. Might as well give yourself two options if you're going to split up a p-bass pickup. Otherwise you'd throw the other half away. Or of course you could give the other half to a fellow mandobird playing friend. :grin:

Schlegel
Jan-14-2009, 11:28pm
I'm not really prepared to do routing at this time. One thing at a time.

Spruce
Jan-14-2009, 11:43pm
Does it matter which half you use? Or are both usable?

Both are usable.

martinedwards
Jan-15-2009, 5:46am
I THINK the split pups are wound opposite directions to give hum cancelling with a single coil sound.

each half is a single coil pup in it' own right and both/either can be used fine.

I have a mountain of these things that I won in an ebay auction a while back & I tested them all before I built my mandostrat. both halves have the same resistance.

thistle3585
Jan-15-2009, 10:01am
It doesn't matter which one you use, but it may matter how you orient them and you may need to do some soldering depending on how they are wired. On Bartolinis, there are three lugs that stick out from the case in which the wire is soldered. When you separate them one lug will be left free so you need to solder a "jumper" from one of the other lugs to the one that is free.

I used to have a photo that showed the backs of the pickups and how they were soldered so that I would remember how to do it, but since I quit using Bartolinis I think I deleted the photo. FWIW, I have a Bartolini I'll make someone a deal on.