PDA

View Full Version : Light as a fiddle or heft of quality?

Jeffers
Jul-24-2004, 2:43pm
ONE of these days I'm gonna get a REAL mandolin, although not while I'm living on student loans! Every now and then though, wishful thinking gets the better of me and I try out some nice models at the local music store.

I've noticed that some models - Capek, Pheonix - are light as a feather and the whole instrument seems to hum like a fine violin when played. Others like Rigel are rather heavier although they still sound great.

I play bluegrass half the time and whatever else I feel like the other half and can't decide what sort I'd get (not that I'll need to in a hurry!) Was wondering if anyone else had an opinion - badminton raquet or leg of lamb? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Tiderider
Jul-24-2004, 3:00pm
I only have a little mandolin experience but I'll add....my Gibson A9 is light, very light and it has the blue grass sound, no doubt....I had a Kalamazoo round hole flat top which was light and it too had a great sound....I have a MK Firefly which is heavier and the sound is decent but not close to the other two. This is just my opinon, not a bash.

sunburst
Jul-24-2004, 5:03pm
I like'em light, and lighter can be an indicator of quality, but there are quality instruments that are relatively heavy. It partly depends on what makes them heavy. Rigels are heavy because of the carved-from-one-piece-of-wood rim structure, others are heavy because of the wood chosen for the head and tail blocks, lower quality instruments can be heavy because the tops, backs, necks etc. are too heavy.

John Flynn
Jul-24-2004, 8:34pm
A friend of mine is a professional guitarist who works at a music store. His theory on this is that lighter instruments with lighter finishes have a louder, more "raw" sound that is good for old-time and bluegrass. Heavier, more heavily finished instruments have a "tighter" more focused sound that is good for classical and jazz. I am sure there are exceptions, but think there is something to that idea.

I was toying with the idea of trading my Rigel A+ in on a Colling MT. This was just the kind of comparison we are talking about. The Rigel is heavy and heavily finished. The MT is is light and lightly finished. I brought my Rigel to my friend's store and played them side by side, with my friend listening. Then we got one of the store's mando instructors to play them side by while we both listened. I think my friend's theory held up. The Rigel rang clear as a bell, with solid, clean, focused notes. It had some chop, but it was not impressive in that area. I would describe its sound as "refined." The Collings had a great woody chop. The single notes were loud and clear, but they sounded "rough." Now in fairness, the Rigel was well broken in, while the Collings was brand new. But the comparison was enlightening.

BTW, I decided not to trade, although, if I get in the position to buy the Colling outright, I might do so.

Jaws
Jul-25-2004, 6:15am
I love playing those light instruments. The feel of the vibrations through the top makes me feel so much more in tune with the music. It's as if you're not just playing a block of wood, but something alive. The first time I played my Phoenix after having played a relativley cheap Czech make for a few years, I was blown away by the difference in how it felt to play the two. The Phoenix felt much more alive and responsive.

250sc
Jul-26-2004, 6:27am
Mando Johnny,

Wait until you play an MT with a group of players. The Collings cuts right through the clutter. With my tone guard on I have to be careful to remember to play with dynamics.

Bob A
Jul-26-2004, 9:51am
My personal preference seems to be for the lighter instruments. They are more thrilling to play, for me. I don't know whether they carry as well in groups with other instruments, but the feeling of a living vibrating instrument is a real pleasure.

Tom C
Jul-26-2004, 9:57am
I've heard and played both and I am still not able to decide if one is better or not. My BRW is on the heavy side. But the heaviest I ever played was a friend's Rattlesnake. Now, Not all Rattlesnakes are heavy though and they sound great. My same friend also has the lightest Gil I've played. It may seem the heavies have a nice mid tone and the lights weights have a better bass before both are opened.

Spruce
Jul-26-2004, 10:39am
"My same friend also has the lightest Gil I've played. "

It's amazing what a calculating machine the brain is in terms of judging weights, etc...

I know that Steve prefers the heavier materials (red spruce/hard maple), so that when I pick up a Gil and it's light in weight, to me that's a good thing....

I have a John Sullivan F5 that is also built with very heavy and hard materials (birdseye maple/red spruce), and every time I pick it up the weight of the instrument just seems "right" and in the pocket...

Compared to a Gibson F5 from the 60's, it's like picking up an empty milk carton in the refridgerator.