PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Beater

kvk
Jul-24-2004, 2:01pm
I'm thinking I want to dabble with playing left handed some of the time. I'm lefty but learned righty. Anyone got suggestions for getting a lefty that's playable but not a huge investment? Like maybe take a Johnson 120 or Kentucky 250 and flip the bridge and net? Thoughts?

-Ken

johnwalser
Jul-24-2004, 5:09pm
I believe Chris Thile is a lefty that learned to play righty. I might not switch if it were me. I'm so right handed I can't even get my car to turn to the left.
John

mandocrucian
Jul-26-2004, 10:22am
A cheap teardrop shaped Korean mando should do the job. The decal on the headstock doesn't really mean much; the store owner has the option of ordering these things picking from a list of decal names. #Just pick out an sintrument that has decent intonation. #

You'll need to have a LH nut made. #Possibly you can get by with just flipping the bridge saddle around (it depends on the amount of compensation contour), or #have one made. #If it's got a pickguard, either switch it over to the other side or remove it enirely.

You may want to consider getting a mando which has a slightly wider neck. Hand/finger size is not 100% symetrical and one (tends to be the dominant hand) may be slightly larger/wider etc. Also your new fretting hand (RH) will not have the precise finger placement coordination, so a wider neck will give you a bit more wiggle room clearance, especially when it comes to doublestops without one of the fingers muffling the other string(s).

Whether you decide to switch over to LH playing, or (even better) be able to play from both sides, or not, it won't be wasted time. If you just dabble, the so-called conventional thinking would be that you wasted time and effort on a failed experiment. #But in reality, you'll have gotten more control over both hands by reversing their functions, as well as mentally routing you musical thinking through new neural circuitry. #You may find that the ear>finger connection you have acquired with RHed playing now carries over to LH playing. This means that your lefty playing may be driven by a much greater extent by what you are hearing in you head rather than "finger habits" (which really don't exist yet in your new fretting hand). The mental remapping of playing from the other side may also make it easier for you to play (RH or LH) out of different tunings. This ambidexterity stuff has a byproduct of upgrading your mental software, and you may find that you acquire mental abilities having mothing to do specifically with playing an instrument.

Niles Hokkanen