PDA

View Full Version : Tim Buckley

Jul-24-2004, 12:32am
Has anyone ever heard of Tim Buckley? If so, is there any mandolin tablature, or even guitar for that matter, out there?

OdnamNool
Jul-24-2004, 8:01am
Huh?

Tim Buckley is my all-time-ultimate hero... #I love his music...all of it... #from the folksy stuff to the kinky...

His range!!! #Those inharmonic twinges just drive me wild...

If there is a particular song you'd like to learn, I'll figure it out for you... #I am familiar with all of his stuff...

Oh boy! #Here I go again, makin' more points with the world o' mando folk! #YIKES!!! #Tim Buckley??? # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

phynie
Jul-24-2004, 10:58am
I have never seen any but I second the notion of him being a great. I never heard of him till I strated listening to his son. Man, there's two musicians that got taken from us far too soon. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

jim simpson
Jul-24-2004, 1:28pm
Another vote for Tim Buckley. Bought my 1st album of his in the late 60's. I had no idea what he sounded like but the record club required that I order 12 of their limited selection. He was amazing and like so many from that period, died to soon. I guess trajedy followed his son's life as well. My favorite album is Goodbye & Hello.

Jul-25-2004, 1:18am
Odnam,

Are you familiar with his song Troubadour? That is the song that I am looking for tablature on and have come up with dead ends! It's on his new anthology: Morning Glory.

OdnamNool
Jul-25-2004, 4:38am
Hi.

Yes, I know the song...

These words are probably wrong, I'm recalling from how I've heard him sing it...

# #Gm
"As she steps near me
# #Dm # # # # # # # Gm
My blood feels the chance.
# # Gm
All spinning and swirling
# #Dm # # # # # Gm
It ends for the dance

# # # Gm7
To become part of me
For one
To take part of you"

Alrighty... This is what I have so far..(I'm S L o W !) Help me out here! It's a somewhat complicated tune...

Hmmm... The chords don't quite "line up" with the words, here, but I don't know how to fix that... You probably get the idear...

Jul-25-2004, 11:45pm
Chords would be excellent, Odnam! If your ever in Texas and need a singer or a player, just tell me.

OdnamNool
Jul-26-2004, 4:23am
oops. I messed up on the "post" I intended to submit... See above for the chords I have so far, and then, hey! Let's work together to figure this one out! Wowie Kazowie! Another Tim Buckley fan! Who'd a thought?

wah
Jul-26-2004, 11:21am
Thank you. Thank you. Thankyou for remembering Tim Buckley. I've always owned, and wore out, "Hello/Goodbye." One of my all-time favorites.

Wayne

Jul-26-2004, 10:26pm
I'll take it to my old guitar teacher and see what he can figure out! My ears are going deaf due to Meniere's disease so I'm not much help anymore.

OdnamNool
Jul-27-2004, 2:03am
Good plan... Meanwhile... I continue to work on it... There are some mysterious chords in there... What a beautiful song! And boy, oh boy! If you can pick, by golly you could really wale on the solos in there!

You haven't heard the last from me on this one! I'm gunna figure it out! Then... I'll letcha know...

But definantly take it to your guitar-teacher-friend... Could save me a helluva lotta time...

OdnamNool
Jul-27-2004, 3:58am
Okay... #I got the oooo's in the beginning... It's like this:
l #l #X #l # # #
l #l #l #l
l #l #l #X
l #l #l #l
l #l #l #l

# Gm

X #X #X #l
l #l #l #l
l #l #l #l
l #l #l #X
l #l #l #l

Ab sus 2

Then back to the Gm...

OdnamNool
Jul-27-2004, 4:35am
P.S... As I said, I have never heard the c.d. "Morning Glory", therefore the version I'm trying to figure out may be different than the version of the song on "Morning Glory". Does that make sense?

OdnamNool
Jul-27-2004, 8:26am
Update and corrections...

Takin' it from the top...

Gm A flat sus 2 Gm
Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmm Mmmm

Gm
As she steps near me
Dm Gm
My blood feels the chance
Gm
Dm Gm
It ends for the dance
B flat A flat sus 2
To become part of me for one
Dm Gm
To take part of her

Jul-27-2004, 10:10pm
I can dig on that. I thought about those chords when I was trying to use my good ear on the song. Morning Glory is basically his anthology. It's a great snag.

OdnamNool
Jul-28-2004, 12:52am
Hi.

The chords above aren't quite right. #(By the way, it's likely that I'll just keep on changin' stuff till I do get it right, so bare with me...) #I'll put the most updated chords on the next verse...

Awww # # # # #Awww # # #Awww #(same chords as the mmmmmm's)
# # #Gm
Don't say that tomorrow
# # Dm # # # # # Gm
Will bring me her love
# # #Gm
Don't let me wait for words
# #Dm # # # # # #Gm
I'm destined from above
# # # B-flat
Let me laugh through her fingers
# #F
And smile through her hair
# # # A-flat sus 2
Let me love the one I see
# # # # # # # # # # #Gm
For I know that she's there
# #B flat # # # # # # # # #C
For tomorrow and today
# # # # # # # # # #Gm
Aren't here anymore...

(it's still not right, but it's close...)

OdnamNool
Jul-28-2004, 1:13am
Oh, and by the way...

I've seen in other posts about "Wayfaring Stranger." It might be of interest to know that Tim Buckley does a version of this song... It's actually the only version of that song that I've ever heard, so I can't compare or comment... (But I have a hunch that Buckley's version is on the "avante garde" side...)

Jul-28-2004, 11:40pm
I've heard his rendition of "Wayfaring Stanger" and I have to say that it is amazing!

OdnamNool
Jul-29-2004, 6:56am
Howdy.

I did not have time to work on this today...

It might take me awhile to figure out the upcoming La-la-lalalala-las and be-bop-doodily-ba-bops..."Sing songs for pennies..."

Meanwhile... Here's the last verse...

As she steps near me

All spinning and whirling

It ends for the dance

To take part of her fair one

To know part of her.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

(Hey! Do you think that I have the words right on the verses so far?)

Jul-29-2004, 11:49pm
That verse sounds happening to me! It's what I sing when I try to play it.

OdnamNool
Jul-30-2004, 5:50am
Alrighty! Here ya go! My very simplified version of this wonderfully beautiful tune... (One of these days I'll get that "amazing slowdowner" and perhaps be able to figure things out better...)

Print it out and take it to your guitar teacher so that he can refine it (or revise it!) Hell! I never tune my mando... it's that good!!! But for all I know, it's a step or two off... (gulp...)

Gm Absus2 Gm
MmMmm MmMmm MmMmm MmMmm Mmmmm, Mmmmm
Gm
As she steps near me
Dm Gm
Gm
Dm Gm
It ends for the dance
Bb Absus2
To become part of me for one
Dm Gm Absus2 Gm
To take part of her-ur-ur-ur-ur-ur-ur-ur-ur.....Ur
Gm Absus2 Gm
Aw-aw-aw-aw-aw-aw-aw-aw-awww.... Awww

Don't say that tomorrow will bring me her love

Don't let me wait for words un-destine (?) from above

Let me laugh through her fingers

And smile through her hair

Let me love the one I see

For I know that she's there
Bb C
For tomorrow and today
Gm Absus2 Gm
Aren't here anymore...

MmMm MmMm MmMm MmMm Mmmm.....Mmmmmm (you know the drill...)

A-la-la-lalalala-la etc... This whole part seems to fluctuate between C minor (barred 5-fr) and Bb major (barred 3rd fret...) And onto the final verse...

As she steps near me

All spinning and whirling

It ends for the dance

To take part of her fair one

To know part of her.

MmmMmm MmmMmm MmmMmm MmmMmm Mmmmmm.....Mmmmmmm

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jul-31-2004, 11:15pm
You've been a very big help! I can't thank you enough!

OdnamNool
Aug-01-2004, 11:20pm
Your appreciation of my effort is the best "thank you" that exists!

...You're very welcome...

Thank you for bringing to my attention a lovely, passionate song that I havn't thought about for years!