PDA

View Full Version : My Fender Mando

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-23-2004, 11:42pm
any other non traditional mandos out there?

ira
Jul-24-2004, 11:24am
can't see the pic- please post as always like to see the non-trad.

Bandersnatch Reverb
Jul-24-2004, 12:12pm
down a few threads is a definately non-traditional Tacoma M1e (mine!!)

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-24-2004, 12:15pm
Sorry Bout that, lets try again

Hey all,

Im on a search for very non-traditional mando's. Does anyone have a picture of theirs that they want to post?

heres mine:

mandroid
Jul-25-2004, 2:19pm
not far off, really, It would be more Trad with a black Pickguard, My Fender FM61 electric* (same outline, Smurf headstock ala 60s villager 12 string) came with MOT pickguard too, I made another one, changed pickup and controls too;
they must have square miles of the stuff at the factory,over there, #on the other side of the pacific.
*pictured on eye candy-electric [as shipped]

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jimini_pickit
Jul-25-2004, 5:14pm
I'd like to see if anyone has a 'non-traditional' Fender mando....i.e., I saw a 'prototype' Fender mandolin offered on eBay a couple months ago that didn't have the 'tradtitional' fender headstock; it had an F-5 style headstock! That's what I mean 'non-traditional' as per Fender styling...made by Fender, apparently only as a prototype, and I wonder if they made more, and if so, who has one? It looked nice from the eBay auction!

Keep Pickin'
Jim

jbassnut
Jul-26-2004, 1:41pm
Hello everyone! I have been lurking in the cafe forever but never posted. I guess being a bassist with mandolin tendencies I felt I had nothing to contribute till now. I may have bought the prototype Fender you were mentioning jimini but it doesn't have an F style headstock. It is a sweet mandolin. The fact that it is a one of a kind adds to the coolness factor. I will try to post a pic.

jbassnut
Jul-26-2004, 1:43pm
Maybe this will work

jimini_pickit
Jul-27-2004, 12:52am
Jbassnut,
That is a cool one-of-a-kind mandolin, however that's not the 'prototype' that I saw on eBay...the one I saw looked just like everyone else's F-5 copy (in other words, it didn't have any Fender-styling to it at all!) which almost makes me wonder whether it was a fake!?! Anyway, it looked good and I would have liked to have owned it for the one-of-a-kind factor, but it got out of my price range and I had to let it go...oh well
Thanks for posting that pic, I'm not sure I've ever seen one like it...maybe it's just the hot rod red color that's throwing me off; what if it had the traditional sunburst? Would that make it more like one of those FM62 or FM63 (sorry, I'm trying to remember Fender's model numbers)??

Jim

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-27-2004, 9:06pm
no one else has a pic of a non trad mando?

cmon folks...

thistle3585
Jul-28-2004, 3:46pm
Here's an in process. #Body is mahogany with curly redwood top, maple neck with radiused ebony freboard.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-28-2004, 7:30pm
that is one sweet mando, keep us posted, any headstock pictures?

thistle3585
Jul-29-2004, 8:46am
I intentionally didn't show the headstock. It is pretty bad. I will be gluing some ears on and redoing it. I will do an overlay in ebony or to match the body. I realized that I posted a "Gibson" style even though the topic was "Fender" so there is a "Fender" style on the right of this picture.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-29-2004, 9:58pm
please, any pictures you can get would be awesome

like this is a good one:

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-29-2004, 10:01pm
oops, never mind

Mastersound
Aug-01-2004, 12:32am
Very nice thistle!

What's the timber in the DC one bottom right? And in the LP... what's the binding? Wood? It looks great!

One more question... are you using set neck or bolt-on? The tenon looks like a set neck tenon.

thistle3585
Aug-01-2004, 9:53pm
The single cutaways and the two point are mahogany and the double cutaway is walnut. I have one other single cutaway in walnut also. The walnut mandos will get the quartersawn maple that you see on the right side of the photo. I haven't decided on the other two mahogany ones yet.

The binding is white ivoroid. I have to recut the binding channels on all of them because I messed up. But they will all get .090 ivoroid and the backside will be rounded over.

The neck setup is a work in process. Right now it gets screwed in through the markers at the 12th fret, and I'm thinking of doing one up through the back. I'm out of town next week, but I'll try and post a closeup of the neck joint when I get a chance. The double cutaway is going to be tricky because the extension is too small. I think I will need to cut it back so it will push everything back towards the tail. (If that makes sense.)

Thanks for the interest.

Baron Collins-Hill
Aug-23-2004, 10:19pm
im in the process of building a hardshell coffin case for my fender above (the fm62se)

ill post some pics when im done

Ted Eschliman
Aug-24-2004, 4:28am
Mrs. Mandohack calls them the "Axis of Evil."
I call them my "Axes of Upheaval (http://members.aol.com/teesch/axes.html)..."

Baron Collins-Hill
Sep-05-2004, 8:42pm
im almost done building a coffin case for my fender, birch veneer top and back, ill post some pic when im done...