PDA

View Full Version : Tascam DR-1, GT-R1 & AK-DR1 Recorders

Jon Hall
Jan-10-2009, 8:48am
I was planning on buying a Edirol R9 recorder but discovered that my operating software, XP Media Center, will not support it's software. The Tascam models are my next choice. Does anyone have any pros or cons to share?

Mattg
Jan-14-2009, 1:17pm
I have the DR-1 and really like it although I have not really used others so my opinion is skewed.

I use mine to record jams, impromptu musical happenings and my own playing. I use it as an educational tool. It is NOT a studio grade component but it records very well for it's size. It records in WMV and MP3 right onto an SD card. It also has a USB cable and it looks like a thumb drive when it is plugged into the computer. The file formats are generic and somewhat universal so you should not have problems using them.

The interface is is easy to use and it doen't take any time to start a recording. There are lots of nice settings and features. Message me and I'll direct you to some samples.

Bob Wiegers
Jan-14-2009, 1:38pm
is there a reason you're needing the Eridol's software? in my experience, the software that comes with such hardware isnt worth installing, but I could be wrong in this case.

surely you can get the files off it with any operating system, since it's a USB device?

JeffD
Jan-14-2009, 2:52pm
I too have a DR-1. Its the only one I have ever used, but I do love it.

The built in microphones are really pretty amazing.

I took it to Swannanoa and recorded everything I could. Lots of absolute gems.

steve V. johnson
Jan-14-2009, 3:59pm
FWIW...

I have an Edirol R-09 and a good friend has the new, high res R-09hr. I love mine and I've used it a whole, whole lot.

No software came with either one. We just copy the files from the chip in the recorder (via a chip reader or via USB) to a hard drive and use any software we like to edit/mix.

The system software for these things is downloadable from the Edirol site and I believe that it's neutral to the host operating system. All it needs is the USB connex to update the recorder.

stv

steve V. johnson
Jan-14-2009, 5:02pm
I love these little recorders!

So... from a cursory inspection it seems that the DR-1

http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-1.html

is the basic, general-purpose version of the recorder, with more inputs, both 1/8" and 1/4", a tuner and vocal cancellation;

the GT-R1

http://www.tascam.com/products/gt-r1;9,12,3671,16.html

is bright red, includes features especially for guitar recording, amp simulations, effects and pre-made rhythm tracks, and a bit more emphasis on songwriting tools, including ways to overdub, looping and pitch/speed change functions.

The AK-DR1 is the accessory pack for the two recorders, including a tripod stand, mic clip and a wind screen for the mics.

I didn't see (but I might have missed it...) the largest size of SD chip that they will use, but if my old R-09 will use an 8-gig, I'd bet that these will, too.

I saw something about the mics being movable, that's neat.

Depending on the price, in general they seem quite comparable/competitive with the other little recorders that are out now, the Zoom, the Edirol, the Yamahas (tho they have one that's much smaller and doesn't have removable storage)...

I didn't see any mention of software on the Tascam pages either, but again, I might have missed it.

If you'll write songs at home, &/or work on recording your band, the red one might have some advantages. For live field recording or more ... simple... home recording, the DR seems good. The DR's mic and stereo mic inputs make it more suited to field recording.

stv

Mattg
Jan-17-2009, 1:27am
The Tascam will use a 32 gig card. I have an 8 which is more than enough for my needs. The mics do move but the only thing I don't like is that the battery only lasts about 5 hours. I can charge off the USB but it does not come with the AC addapter, which is about $30. A replacement battery is about $40.

steve V. johnson
Jan-17-2009, 2:09pm
Wow, that's a pretty expensive battery! 32gigs, that'll do just fine!

Five hours... I've consistently gotten over four hours on two AAs in the Edirol, but that's just with it lying still in a room, not doing anything else, just soaking up the sound and printing it. For rehearsals or performances, or anything that I -know- will go over three + hours I like to use the wall wart AC adaptor, just so I don't have to stop and change batteries.

Thanks, Mattg.

stv

eadg145
Jan-17-2009, 2:53pm
The Edirol will record in either .mp3 or .wav format, so I don't understand the incompatibility with your system. Both the Edirol and the Tascam can mount just like a USB drive, or you can extract the files off the SD card with a reader.

I like the fact that the GT-R1 can charge from USB (good for travel), but the Edirol is a much quieter unit.

So it depends on what you want to do with it.
Record jams/practices? Either one.
Record performances? Edirol R-09
Practice or playalong with yourself or your band? GT-R1

My $0.02

cheers,

David

Jon Hall
Jan-18-2009, 9:25am
I appreciate everyones comments. Apparently there are several editing software programs that are compatible with XP Media Center so I won't be concerned about that if I buy the Edirol unit.

David mentioned that the R-09 is quiter. I assume that the Tascam's mechanism is audible on the recording?

Are there any accessories that anyone would are would not recommend?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

steve V. johnson
Jan-18-2009, 10:15am
hey David,

Are there moving parts in the Tascams? What makes 'em less quiet? Noisy preamps?

I've used the Edirol R-09 and the Zoom H2 at all the available resolutions and I haven't
found "quiet" to be an issue at all. At some low mp3 resolutions there can be some
compression artifacts, but that seems to 'come with the territory' of low-res mp3
compression, not of the recorders.

Thanks,

stv